DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Howdy 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/1996-howdy-2006-a.html)

Robin Greenidge May 13th, 2002 09:31 AM

Howdy 2006

Greetings From Long Island

Howdy,
The names Robin Greenidge(Mr.)... :)
I work for a corporation here on the island and I am "the" video department! I produce in-house training videos using an XL1 and GL1. I got started with this about 2 1/2 years ago (0 years of experience) and boy do I have a lot to learn! But there is plenty of OJT goin' on right here everyday. I appreciate this website and what it has to offer.
If I ask a stupid question every now and then, go easy on me!

Chris Hurd May 13th, 2002 10:32 AM

Hi Robin,

We have a policy here that there is no such thing as a stupid question, so no worries and fire away. The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked. So by all means use these boards, that's what they're for.

Are you coming to DV Expo East in the city in June? Drop by the Canon booth and say hello, I'll be there. Welcome aboard,

Mark Olsen September 10th, 2005 08:25 AM

Anybody in Denmark?

Hi everybody!

Untill now i havn't been able to track eny other danes down in this forum, so i'll ask directly - Can i really be the only one in 18500 users?

Im a new boot and i would like to get in touch with others from denmark!

Greetings,

Mark Olsen

Carlos Yasik November 25th, 2005 09:28 PM

Hello Im Carlos Yasik from Guadalajara, Mexico

Hello, i use Final Cut Pro, after effects, cinema 4d, and i own a HVR-Z1U, I love and work in Guadalajara.
Is there anyone from Mexico or Guadalajara, let me know!!

I also own a site of social video of my city, clubs, partys, if you have the time, check it out it is:
http://estamosenvideo.com

The bad thing is that it is in spanish, but maybe you'll enjoy some of the videos.

Guest December 3rd, 2005 10:14 AM

Are you in South Australia??

Well, I am!!
I'm in my 30s and a relative newcomer to this industry.
I am familiar with After Effects (for motion graphics), Photoshop, Premiere Pro and other applications. Looking to produce my first documentary in the near future, but might also get into corporate videography or budget commercials.
Anyway, great to see lots of Aussies in this forum!

Joshua Jezioro December 5th, 2005 01:52 PM

Greetings from an aspiring filmmaker in western NY!

Hello! My name is Joshua Jezioro. I am 16, currently in my junior year of high school. I aspire to be a professional filmmaker and have been researching colleges with undergrad film programs.

I recently started my first project, which is a transformation of my English teacher's book to screenplay and then to video. I have a few other projects lined up. I am currently looking to get as much experience in various genres as possible (documentary, drama, comedy).

I am shooting on mini DVs right now, it's a Canon camera, not quite sure of the model #.

I am looking forward to picking the brains of all the current members!

David Ellis December 23rd, 2005 05:11 AM

Active Duty Air Force riding out a hobby...

Hello to all,
My name is David Ellis and I'm on active duty serving in the greatest Air Force of all time. I'm originally from Georgia, but since I'm always on the go I've finally resided in Ohio. Well, ever since I've been a young boy i've been involved with cameras. Now that I'm actively involved with the outdoors, every chance I get I film friends and family on hunting adventures. I'm still not as experienced as many of you are, so any advice on outdoor filming would be greatly appreciated. I hope all have a safe and blessed holiday!

David Ellis
Active duty Air Force
Wright-Patterson AFB

Bob Safay December 23rd, 2005 08:09 AM

David, welcome to our family. Hey, I was in the USAF from......1967-1971. I was in the old TAC, if you remember that. And, I have been living in Atlanta for the last 21 years. Bob

James Darren December 27th, 2005 08:11 PM

Hi Eliman,
Not in South Australia but i'm in West Australia.... I suppose the similarities are we both have a capital city with the nickname "Dullsville"!....

I work full time as a camera tech & also freelance as a camera assistant/cable runner for the TV stations...

John Holland December 29th, 2005 07:06 PM

Greetings From North Carolina

Hey all,

My name is John and I'm a college student attending North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro,NC (but originally from Raleigh). Anyways, I'm a broadcast production major with a passion for TV (especially making commercials). I love writing and directing and recently got into producing and do a little music composing (been on the piano for 13 years). I also have a passion for comedy and I currently make short films and I'm working on the third episode of my TV show on campus.

www.aggieblvd.net for the shorts.
www.aggieblvd.net/videos/TheParty.wmv for the recent episode of our show (think of it as a real life family guy).

I also have a production company called Green Bench Productions which has really taken off in my city over the past year. I've learned a lot, especially from hands on experience and coming across sites like this. Hope I'll be able to entertain you all in the months to come.

Per Morgen December 31st, 2005 09:54 AM

Anybody in Denmark?!

I saw this message, and can reply to it, as a Dane interested in DV and the like - and from Odense.

Halfdan J. Damskier January 6th, 2006 11:50 AM

There are a few Danes here

Hi there,

I too live in Denmark. I got my first DV camera last year, and I have been very pleased with it. I partly made my choice of camera based on the good advice I got from the community here. It's a great place for anyone curious about DV, and I am pleased to see that there are a few other Danes here after all. I know of one more Dane who's here, so there are at least four of us.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Jean-Francois Robichaud January 11th, 2006 03:11 PM

Kino-Kabaret in Louisville, Kentucky

People from Kentucky and the area might want to check out the Kino-Kabaret event in Louisville (February 9th - 11):
http://www.kinolouisville.com

A Kino-Kabaret is an event where filmmakers converge in one place and write, shoot, edit and screen short movies over the course of a few days. Tona Williams from Wisconsin made the following documentary about the Kino-Kabaret in Montreal this past October:
http://www.wis-kino.com/films/good_kick-williams.html

The will be more Kino-Kabaret coming, with events in:
Adelaide, Australia (March 9-18), www.kinoadelaide.org/
Vienna, Austria (May 20-28), www.kino5.net/
Hamburg, Germany (June 2-10), www.hamburgerkino.de
Quebec, Canada (May? June?) www.kinoqc.com
Brussels, Belgium (sometime this Spring), www.kinobelgique.org
Madison, Wisconsin, USA (sometime this Spring) www.wis-kino.com

Stay tuned, there will a lot more during the Summer.

Frank Asante January 11th, 2006 11:32 PM

Any One in DC-Metro area looking for an Intern on Wkends?

Hi,
I have decided to take up videography as a hobby and wanted to learn the trade through hands on experience. I would be glad to offer my free service to any wedding/event videographer in the Dc-metro area who in turn would mentor and give me the required hands on training in video and editting.

Rob Lohman January 12th, 2006 07:43 AM

Hi Carlos and welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net! My appologies for such a late
welcome note. We're glad to have you aboard!

Rob Lohman January 12th, 2006 07:43 AM

Hi Joshua and welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net! My appologies for such a late

Rob Lohman January 12th, 2006 07:44 AM

Hi John and welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net! My appologies for such a late

Jean-Francois Robichaud January 13th, 2006 11:55 AM

The Brussels Kino-Kabaret will take place in March (11-18), during the Brussels fantasy, thriller & science fiction film festival. The Kabaret will have 3 screenings. The Brussels Kino gang are a cool bunch, so don't hesitate to try it out.

www.kinobelgique.org

info@kinobelgique.org

Jean-Francois Robichaud January 13th, 2006 02:42 PM

Here is another Kino-Kabaret:

Matane, Qc (Canada)
August 5-11
This is the second edition of the Matane Kabaret. There will be 3 screenings. The organizers expect 40 director participants in addition to actors, technicians, musicians, etc. Some material will be provided by the festival(cameras, light kits, sound kits). It costs 20$ to participate, but considering that you will be fed and have a place to sleep, this is real cheap.

This one is worth it. Last year's Matane Kabaret was 2nd only to the Montreal event in scope.

To find out more:

www.kinomatane.org
kinomatane at gmail.com

or write me at
jeanfr at cae.ca

Brian Burns January 14th, 2006 09:30 PM

Intern

Frank,
I am in Springfield and am looking for a new assistant. We have our first wedding starting next month and are pretty booked through Oct. I had 2 assistants and am down 1. Email me if you are interested in talking.

Thanks.

Brian

Nicholas Valentine January 16th, 2006 10:36 AM

Videographer from the Poconos

Hi everyone. My name is Nicholas Valentine and I am a videographer living in the Pocono Mountain area of Pennsylvania. I mainly do short films but my company is moving into the videography field (weddings, recitals, corporate vids and more). This site seems to be very informative and I look forward to making contacts with people on this site.

Rob Lohman January 17th, 2006 03:46 AM

Welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net Nicholas, good to have you with us!

Erich Ocean January 17th, 2006 07:40 PM

Hello from Erich Ocean

Hi!

I got wind of this RED camera development over at HD for Indies. I know you've all been discussing this thing for the past month or so, and I wanted to let you know who I am and hopefully contribute to the success of RED.

I'm 28 years old and married with three boys (7, 3, & 2). I live in Kirkland, WA. I've been involved in video production and computers since I was a boy. I still remember using an old U-matic machine and a TRS-80. I currently sell Motion and FCP plug-ins on the side at www.ampede.com.

In 1995, I began attending Wheaton College (IL) where I directed my first short "film" after the original director dropped out with 3 weeks before the student film festival. At the time, I had taught myself how to edit on the school's shiny new Avid, and took on the task of getting the film made. 75 people worked on the project and we won almost every award and received a standing ovation. I knew then that filmmaking was what I wanted to do with my life.

I immediately looked into going to film school, but because I already had too many college credits (I’d been going to college since I was 15), I didn't meet the requirements to get in anywhere worthwhile--even though academically I could have gone to any school in the country. Looking back, I wished I’d tried harder.

Instead, I went to Full Sail in Florida, but after 6 months I hadn't learned anything new (besides how to run their shiny new Quantel <grin>), so I quit and began working for a local post-production company who had heard a speech I gave on making digital films and wanted me to help them get their film project off the ground. That was in 1997.

While at Wheaton, I began thinking about how to create a camera that I could hack together to create a film with. Some filmmakers don't mind shooting with video; others, like myself, are so visually-oriented that they can't bear the though of shooting with it. Anyway, I pursued a new camera design regularly during the following years. Hopefully, those years of work will be helpful in giving feedback on the development of RED.

There are already other companies with cameras that capture roughly the image that RED is supposed to capture, just at a higher price point. What I like about Jim and his vision for RED is that he shows a great deal of respect for the image being captured. Many people don’t understand the DoF issues and the need for better lens options, but Jim seems to get it. I think if he plays in this space enough, he’ll be able to develop something innovative that we didn’t even know we wanted before he started.

Heath McKnight January 20th, 2006 11:01 PM

Welcome aboard! And you bring up a good point--I wonder how many companies (big and small) are shelling out $3000 a day for an Origin? That doesn't include the lenses, etc., just the camera and recorder.

heath

Travis Maynard January 21st, 2006 08:40 AM

Trav from West Virginia

I've been around these forums for a while, but never introduced myself.

I'm 18 years old and I'm a freshman in college. I'm majoring in graphic technology while I do my video work on the side. I just got my business liscence but I am yet to get a job with my busy schedule.

I'm from West Virginia and even though it gets a bad wrap by just about everyone, it's not that bad depending on what part of WV you are in.

Anyone else from WV?

Boyd Ostroff January 21st, 2006 09:00 AM

Welcome to DVinfo Travis, glad you're finally stepping out of the shadows. Many years ago I lived and worked in Western Maryland, near Deep Creek Lake which is close to the West Virginia border. I spent some time exploring the mountains around there and thought it was a beautiful place, so don't apologize for living there!

Daniel Riser January 24th, 2006 12:05 PM

Vista, California

I'm 20. I co-wrote and produced this film: www.treasureofthetemplars.com

I live in Vista, California (near Escondido) I work with a Canon XL2.

I have been cinematically minded since four. (my first camera was a waterbottle that my dad spray painted black)

I am working with my partner, Kenneth Gawne (Indy in Templars) on our next project... a Sergio Leone related western.

My mentor is Jonathan Lawrence (who might be a member of this board)

and... "that's all I have to say... about that"

Oh... and favorite film is "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

Rob Lohman January 24th, 2006 12:35 PM

Welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net Daniel! Good to have you with us.

Alden Miller February 2nd, 2006 12:57 AM

Hello from Kansas City

Hey All-

Although, I have posted a couple times already, this shall be my official, "what's up" post. I'm Alden and I live in Kansas City. I moved here from Madison, WI a little over a year ago. Since I've been here, I've met very few poeple from the film world in the area. I looking to change that. So I am calling out anyone and everyone within a 4 or so hour radius of Kansas City.

In Madison, I had plenty of people to work with, but no good access to equipment. Now, I have the equipment but no one to "play" with :(

Currently I have a midrange Sony MiniDV; basic light setup; couple mics; and a pretty good computer system (currently) with an Adobe Collection of Software.

At work, I have access to: Panasonic DVCPro Cameras; Professional Light Kits and Audio equipment; and a couple AVID systems, one being an Adrenaline.

I am willing to help out in any and all projects and looking for help on my upcoming ones...basicly looking to find a good group of filmmakers in the area to collaborate with.

Later
Alden

Tom Bouse February 2nd, 2006 07:52 AM

nebraska person

try: www.nifp.org

that will take you the site of Nebraska Independent Film Projects.

if you drive fast, are we 4 hours away?

Jamie Rinehart February 2nd, 2006 09:03 AM

I live about an hour north of KC and when i'm not spending time with my munchkins', I also enjoy a good cutting session. I have a little equipment, a GL-2 with some extras, Adobe's suite on Mac and PC, and I have a Pro Tools LE rig with mics and all the fixin's for audio recording (where most of my training is in). If you find yourself in need of a fellow a/v geek, give send me a note via email.

David Schmerin February 6th, 2006 10:41 PM

Greetings From Las Vegas

Hello All,

Just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself. I am David Schmerin and I am the PDM for The Wrightwood Group, Inc. We are a Royalty Free Stock Footage agency located in Las Vegas, NV.

We produce stock footage in HD and SD and have been known on occasion to supply HD crews to various projects in exchange for footage rights.

Anyway, always love to hear feedback from real professionals so if anyone feels the desire to stop by one of our sites and over some feedback, love to hear it. If the feedback is negative, please at least try to be nice.

David Schmerin
PDM
The Wrightwood Group
http://www.wrightwood.com
http://www.GotFootage.com
http://www.GotHiDef.com
http://www.FootageHouseHD.com
hds@wrightwood.com

Rob Lohman February 7th, 2006 12:36 AM

Welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net David, good to have you with us!

Rodrigo Gil Medina February 9th, 2006 10:52 PM

New member from México.

¡Hola a todos!

My name is Rodrigo Gil Medina, I was born 29 years ago in Torreón, Coahuila, México. I lived for a while in México city (not a great place to live in) and in Montreal (excellent place to live in) When in Montreal I started working as a translator for films and TV series, I'm responsible for a lot of DVD spanish subtiles from movies such as Brokeback Mountain to TV series like The Wire, The Sopranos, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, etc. I came back to Tórreón 2 years ago, and started a production company called ocho (eight) I had been working on video production since I had 18 years, doing commercials for "Lala", Méxican top brand of Milk and dairy products. With Ocho we've been doing a lot of CG work, you can check some examples on www.8cho.com.mx. I shoot mostly with a Canon XL1 (I'm looking forward to buying one of those new JVC HDV cameras), but when a job calls for it, we rent DVCPRO 50 equipment. I edit using Vegas, our main 3D application is Lightwave, and we rely on AFX for all our compositing and 2D animation work.

I'll do my best to become a more active member of this community from this day on.

Sincerely,
Rodrigo Gil

Lorinda Norton February 10th, 2006 09:13 AM

Welcome!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrigo Gil Medina
I'll do my best to become a more active member of this community from this day on.

You do that, Rodrigo! It's so nice to have you aboard.

Rob Lohman February 10th, 2006 03:55 PM

Welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net Rodrigo, good to have you with us!

Heath Vinyard February 14th, 2006 11:47 AM

Orange County, CA

Just thowing a little nod to the south of LA area. :)

Boyd Ostroff February 14th, 2006 03:35 PM

Welcome Heath! I was at the Orange County Performing Arts Center last fall installing my Tosca scenery for Opera Pacific. Beautiful (though expensive) place to live! :-)

Heath Vinyard February 15th, 2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Welcome Heath! I was at the Orange County Performing Arts Center last fall installing my Tosca scenery for Opera Pacific. Beautiful (though expensive) place to live! :-)

Hello.
Yes. Nice area, but you're right. Really expensive to be here. It was a culture shock when I moved here from AZ.

I'm currently saving up the 800k that I need to purchase my first 1 bedroom condo in one of the demilitarized zones of Orange County. Wish me luck. :)

Brett Thomason February 21st, 2006 11:36 AM

San Diego video nuts

Hey out there--
Are there any San Diego Ca. video enthusiasts out there ?