Hello from St. Louis at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old February 14th, 2004, 12:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Hello from St. Louis

I've been a producer/director/editor for a major tv broadcast station for nearly 30 years and recently let go due to "downsizing'. I love video production and have won a number of regional Emmys during my career..... So, instead of searching for an employer that I would like to work for ( i don't think any exist!), I'm changing the rules of the game and am trying to start my own business in wedding videography. For the last five years I also served as the forementioned tv station's webmaster, so I'm really comfortable at the keyboard as well.
The hardest part right now is learning how to develope and start a small business, but I'm getting there. Planning on using an xp os with Adobe products and Sony cams. I'll be the sole employee but my wife (an x tv producer herself) will assist with the shooting.
Despite the fear of going broke and no days off, this is the most exicited I've been about work in a long-long time.
Discovering this message board is better than any course or set of books anyone could hope for. Just be forewarned that if you see a stupid, novice question appearing here from time to time, it's probably me and I'll apologize upfront. I just know that answers don't fall out the sky, one has to ask questions.
Thanks to all...
SKIP
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Hi, Skip! Welcome to DV Info!

You should not go broke doing wedding videography, unless you undercharge. Up here in Vancouver, prices start at $1000 (& up)---coupled with photos (the full package), $2500 & up. Don't sell yourself short.

http://www.videouniversity.com has good "how to" wedding info, and check out some of the informative links found here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/links.htm

PS: no question is too stupid if it's sincere. I ask the odd such question myself in the audio forum.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Skip, and welcome. Sounds like you're entering an exciting new phase of your life. With your 30 years of broadcast experience, I'll bet that you can answer a lot of questions around here as well. I'm a St. Louis native myself, and have a daughter who will receive her BFA from Webster University this spring!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Hi Skip. I'm in Southern Illinois and have a wedding coming up next month in St. Louis. It's our second St. Louis wedding. I'm sure you'll find lots of brides there. Good luck getting the business off the ground.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Hm. St. Louis. The new Hollywood :)

Which station did you work at, Skip? We may have met but it's been a while since I worked at any of them.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What a small world. I live near St. Louis (Collinsville, actually). What station did you work for? I was a victem of Qwest downsizing, so I feel your pain. Good luck on the Wedding videography biz. You should also check out WEVA.ORG, lots of info there. For some good examples of weddings, you should check out momentsinmotion.com, they have examples of the best wedding videos I've ever seen. In fact, I do freelance weddings, and this is the style I use.

Cheers,
Mark Jefferson
Mark Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood