DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Wannabe filmmaker ~ Oxford, UK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/2178-wannabe-filmmaker-oxford-uk.html)

quasisentient May 27th, 2002 12:06 PM

Wannabe filmmaker ~ Oxford, UK

Hello, This website is an excellent repository of tech. information and opinions and was my primary source of research material before I purchased my Canon XL1s in May. I have little previous experience with photography, let alone DV, but hopefully I'll learn fast :) My XL1s seems to be a good piece.. no complaints into its third week. Any XL1s owners/enthusiasts from Oxford/UK, do drop me a mail. Many thanks to all those who have setup, and maintain this great website!

Chris Hurd May 27th, 2002 06:43 PM

Howdy from Texas and welcome aboard,

As you can see there are more than a few folks from your side of the pond... perhaps we should start a UK branch of this site? Great to have you with us,

Rob Lohman May 28th, 2002 01:56 AM

My preference goes out to keep it all in one site... But ofcourse
if a certain group gets large enough we can add a special
forum?

Anyways, welcome aboard! I'm just accross the pond from you.

Cheers!

Ed Smith May 28th, 2002 07:34 AM

Hi from Hampshire

Hi quasisentient,

This is where I started when researching into the XL1, and found it a very valuable resource. I have an aunt and uncle who live close to Oxford, so next time i'm down I might give you a bell.

Chris,
A DVinfo.net UK branch what a great idea, count me in.

Welcome to the board,

Ed Smith

Chris Hurd May 28th, 2002 07:52 AM

Thanks Ed,

I agree with Rob, we should keep everything in one place, but what I had were separate branches within this Neighborhood forum for all you guys in the UK, plus we have quite a few Aussies in here, some South Africans, folks from the Pacific Rim, all over the place actually. It would all still be here, but we could have a few rooms where you can meet and figure out where to hook up for a beer or two.

Ed Smith May 28th, 2002 08:00 AM

I thought it might be a bit too much, but what a nice idea having a sub section within this Neighbourhood forum.

All the best,

Ed Smith

Rob Lohman May 28th, 2002 08:38 AM

Am wondering what all the dutch are waiting for!

quasisentient May 29th, 2002 08:32 AM

Thanks all..

.. for the warm invitations. I think it should be OK to continue as one large forum instead of breaking up regionally. That way the same questions don't get asked twice and you have more ideas and information in one place. This forum isn't unmanageably large yet, is it?

I realised that it is easier to buy a camera than to decide what to shoot with it. I shot some outdoor nature scenes in full manual mode and natural daylight and the results seem quite good. However, I'm still looking for some sort of test procedures to determine whether my XL1s is a perfect, untainted piece.

Any ideas anyone?

Chris Hurd May 29th, 2002 09:27 AM

Howdy from Texas,

<< I think it should be OK to continue as one large forum instead of breaking up regionally. That way the same questions don't get asked twice and you have more ideas and information in one place. >>

Well you see, the deal is, this particular forum "Your Neighborhood" isn't really for questions and answers, but rather for making ontroductions and hooking up with other folks in your area. The tech questions need to go to the specific areas we have set up, such as "XL1 Lens & Optics," and "Web Video Delivery," and so forth.

<< This forum isn't unmanageably large yet, is it? >>

Not yet! It's still a fairly small community and we haven't really aggressively marketed it yet. It is growing steadily though.

<< I realised that it is easier to buy a camera than to decide what to shoot with it. >>

For some people this is so very true, and for others, it's the exact opposite. Either way you're in good company.

Al Osmond June 10th, 2002 12:55 PM

Hi, quasisentient

I'm fairly local to you and using similar equipment. You can drop me a line and maybe we can compare notes.

Also, as a newcomer to the board, regards to all the regulars; I've been lurking for a while just to see if any of the questions I have bubbling away have been answered yet. Not all of them have! :)

Al

Al Osmond June 12th, 2002 01:05 PM

e-mail is broken, I just noticed...

Q

if you care to get in touch, you can contact me at:

gspot@_remove_this_nildram.co.uk

Al