DV filmakers network - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 12th, 2002, 11:50 AM   #16
cheeba13

footage sharing

There are some technical issues, but it would be awesome if there were a communal stock footage library. I'm in NY and want to be involved
Old June 16th, 2002, 10:44 PM   #17
cyberstreme.com

Ive been thinkin about the storage file sizes of stock footage. One idea I came up with was to convert samples to an agreed upon streaming format with some approx file size limits. Sort of video thumbnails that would run if an image icon ( representative of the clip ) were clicked. File sizes could be kept small and we could all see what we have to select from. Then once you see something you want , the original shooter could be contacted thru this site and arrangements mad for desired format and mailing a DV tape copy. If anyone does not have a digitizer that compresses real time to streaming formats, look at www.adstech.com they have some inexpensive solutions that plug into USB ports, ALso very handy for DVD mpeg2 file creation in real time from DV via analogue ports. Any more other ideas out there would be appreciated. Walt
Old June 17th, 2002, 05:59 AM   #18
Major Player

Well, nothing is ever easy, right?

I looked at the artbeats web site (http://www.artbeats.com/prod/formats.php and http://www.artbeats.com/info/quality.php) to see how they solve some of the problems mentioned above. They deliver all their footage in the form of QuickTime files on CD-ROMs. These would not be too expensive to produce, at least in terms of materials (time, of course, is another matter). What would be needed? At minimum, a deck or decks that could play the agreed formats and computer(s) to covert to QuickTime.

I think the bigger issues would be logistical more than technical. What would be needed?

1. Technical standards about the quality and formats of tapes to be accepted. One could just use the PBS standards.

2. Legal standards for the footage. Proper clearances would be required and these would have to be kept track of. Also, user would have to agree, I think, to certian usage rules.

3. Rules about how contributors would be "paid." I was thinking that anyone who contributes so many minutes footage might be entitled to draw the same number of minutes out of the co-op library. An alternative would be to allow usage of library footage in proportion to how often the footage one submits is actually used. This would favor people who live nearby interesting/high demand locations. The problem is that one couldn't allow people to submit footage of traffic, or their cat, or their kids, and then allow them to use exsclusive footage of say, a space shuttle launch. In other words, there would probably have to be non-technical content standards for footage.

4. Someone would have to receive the tapes, log submissions, play the tapes check quality and then make the CDs, and provide information abot what's availabe. This would be very costly in terms of time, so the co-op would probably have to pay someone to do this. If the footage were sold to non-members of the co-op, it might not be so hard to generate cash. Because a co-op is generally non-profit, any cash in excess of operating costs could be paid to the contributors whose footage is selling which would be an additional benefit of membership. There might need to be a small members fee at first to help with cash-flow as the co-op got started up.

5. Much of the book-keeping/submissions could be kept track of via a web site.

Just thinking this through . . .
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2002, 10:46 PM   #19
New Boot

dv network

Hello. I, too, think this is a GREAT idea! I'm based in New Orleans so I could absolutely add some interesting video to the collection! And I'm always looking for quality stock footage to use in my projects, so definately COUNT ME IN!!

EncoreVideoProd@aol.com
(985)651-0001
Eric Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2002, 01:49 AM   #20
RED Code Chef

Sounds very interesting Peter, you do make some very good
points. I do want to include PAL/NTSC into the mix. If someone
where to send me an NTSC tape (I live in a PAL world) I cannot
read it I think. Then ofcourse there are framerate conversions
and what not......

interesting though!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2002, 08:04 AM   #21
Trustee

This sounds like a terrific way of getting DV footage from areas afar.

I'm in NYC and have alot of "misc" footage- from cars driving by in the busy NYC atmosphere to animals running around (even insects)...whatever you guys want- I can contribute.

Chris here's an idea: maybe you can setup a board that allows user's to submit profiles and available footage they'd share (by Location)- along with all the other misc info- such as email address, postal address etc...

Have fun guys,
Old June 18th, 2002, 08:08 AM   #22

Count me in. I live in New Mexico and I have access to many Southwestern US sites...historic ruins, rocky mountains, etc., etc.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2002, 04:59 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Count me in Southern California.

Big James,

jrulison@hotmail.com
James Rulison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2002, 08:46 AM   #24
Regular Crew

yeah I think Rob is right about problems arising with PAL/NTSC and vice versa conversion of material. DV NTSC and PAL have different frame rates and different compression scheme (4:1:1 vs 4:2:0) so converting from one to another can be disastorous.
But anyway if somebody needs "3rd dimension" in video I have a lot of footage about skydiving and a lot of friends who have even more. All material is originated in PAL DV format.

I'm in!
margus@vid-doc.ee
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2002, 09:16 AM   #25
Major Player

Gee, I wish I had thought of that! (April 30, 2002)
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 09:57 PM   #26
Rafe1323

DV Network

Great concept. I'm in Phily where there are plenty of historical sites and things like the steps Rocky ran up. Count me in.
Old June 28th, 2002, 07:43 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Count me in Also.. I am In Miami, Florida (Near you)..
gerez@bellsouth.net

---
PC Based editor: Adobe Premier Pro, Canopus DV Storm Pro. SONY VX2000, Panasonic DVX100a

George Gerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2002, 06:45 AM   #28
New Boot

Sounds like a great idea to me!
Kyoto is where I live for the moment.
Petri Storlöpare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 09:53 AM   #29
New Boot

Would love to participate. Canon XL1S with a FCP system up here in Toronto Canada. jdynes@sympatico.ca

Cheers
JD
John Dynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 10:19 AM   #30
Major Player

co-op

Count me in......

Alaska's wild country (with rivers attached).

I have some decent footage of Mt. McKinley, bears, moose, etc that comes to mind.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood