Howdy from Texas! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old May 6th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #61
New Boot

Hey Luis:

Where is Dolce Vita? I would like to do that soon. Send me email and we can coordinate with Brooks.

Are either of you members of the Austin Film Society?

I am going to this next Thursday 5-12:

*AFS Presents Award-Winning PBS Filmmaker DANTE JAMES Workshop*
*WHEN: Thurs May 12, 7 PM*
*WHERE: Austin Studios Screening Room, 1901 E. 51st Street*
*COST: FREE, must RSVP to attend*
*INFO:* *http://register.austinfilm.org/ereg1...ventset_id=66*

*A*ward-winning PBS filmmaker Dante James, series producer of SLAVERY AND THE MAKING OF AMERICA/,/ is coming to Austin to honor the legacy of the late Civil Rights Movement giant James Farmer, a native Texan. He will speak at the* AFS* screening room about his documentary filmmaking work.

SLAVERY AND THE MAKING OF AMERICA/,/ a four-part series that first aired on PBS in February of this year, chronicles the institution of American slavery from its origins in 1619 - when English settlers in Virginia purchased 20 Africans from Dutch traders - through the arrival of the first 11 slaves in New Amsterdam, the American Revolution, the Civil War, the adoption of the 13th Amendment and Reconstruction. James, who serves as producer for the series, also wrote and directed the first segment, "The Downward Spiral."

Dante James is a protégé of Blackside, Inc. founder, the late Henry Hampton, creator of the acclaimed Civil Rights Movement series EYES ON THE PRIZE. Dante James' film credits include such works as THIS FAR BY FAITH: AFRICAN-AMERICAN SPIRITUAL JOURNEYS/,/ the six-part series that aired on PBS in 2003, THE GREAT DEPRESSION, AMERICA'S WAR ON POVERTY, and A. PHILIP RANDOLPH: FOR JOBS AND FREEDOM.
.................................................................................................... ...............................................

Hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Elisabeth

You have to be a member, but you could both do that between now and next week. It costs $40 to be a member in the "Filmmaker" category.

Also, I would be interested in knowing what you both use for an editor.

I just received a free upgrade to Sony Vegas 6 because I purchased Vegas 5 very recently and am starting a Vegas Editors group in the area. Perhaps you are using FC Pro or something, but let me know if you are interested.

ciao

Rod
Rod Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Cole
Also, I would be interested in knowing what you both use for an editor.

I just received a free upgrade to Sony Vegas 6 because I purchased Vegas 5 very recently and am starting a Vegas Editors group in the area. Perhaps you are using FC Pro or something, but let me know if you are interested.

ciao

Rod
I am using Final Cut Pro HD and am foaming at the mouth for all the new versions of the Pro Apps from Apple. I am a recent graduate, so I have had to put my video kit together piecemeal over the years.

SHOOTING: Sony VX2000, Beachtek XLR adaptor, Azden SGM-2x, Wideangle, Fisheye (shoot fair amount of skateboarding)

EDITING: Power Mac G5 (dual 2GHz, 2.5 GB RAM, 600GB total HD, 20" CD), FCP HD, Motion, DVDSP, Cleaner 6.
Brooks Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #63
Major Player

Dolce Vita is a little coffee place (they serve liquor/beer too) on Duval, just down from 45th street. It's right next to Hyde Park Grill (and across the street from Mother's restaurant).

I'll send you an email...just wanted to post that in case anyone else here was interested.
:)

Oh, and no, I'm not a member of the Film Society.
I generally try to keep an eye on what they're doing, and go to any screenings that catch my interest and just pay full ticket price.

EDITED TO ADD:

I generally shoot with the DVX100, though I rent whatever I need for the job.
Editing I use Avid Xpress DV or Premiere for my cutting, then usually go into After Effects for any post work.

I've got two systems here at home (one avid and one premiere), and for the life of me I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of one yet...it's just been too convenient to have two. My premiere system has the old DVstorm card in it with the break out box, which still comes in pretty handy.

Looks like between the 3 of us we have all 4 major editing systems covered.

I think I'm about to make the switch over to mac/fcp though, by the end of the year. It just seems to make the most sense for me right now, and in the coming years.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #64
New Boot

Brooks and Luis:

I know exactly where Dolce Vita is now, so let's do it. This week is out, as we have seminars on both Tuesday and Thursday nights and are getting ready to leave for Port Aransas on Friday morning. We have a meeting on Wednesday.

I am shooting a Wedding near Kerrville on Saturday May 21. After that, things are a little more sane.

It looks like we are covering the gamut in both editing platforms and cameras, except for the new Canon XL2. I have heard really good reviews of the DVX100 and almost any Sony professional camera.

Let me know what works for each of you and we will get together.

Rod
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Caffesse

I think I'm about to make the switch over to mac/fcp though, by the end of the year. It just seems to make the most sense for me right now, and in the coming years.
I made the switch about 2 years ago from using a PC, After Effects, and Premiere and have been extremely happy. The stability of the Mac platform is strong and FCP keeps getting better.

I am not a member of the AFS either, but I did attend a lot of the "Master Classes" at UT and they were usually pretty slick.
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #66
New Boot

Hey guys. I'm in Austin as well and have been hooked on editing since I decided to have a videographer just shoot my wedding and edited it myself with Premiere. I'm right on the cusp of upgrading to an FX1, but still haven't committed yet. I've had a lot of fun doing this as a hobby and would like to meet some people in town interested in the same thing. This week doesn't work, but I would be up for either coffee or fine beverage at any quality establishment downtown.

-Dan
Dan Koellhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #67
Obstreperous Rex

Maybe we need to have an DV Info Net Austin Chapter hoot night, but my venue recommendation would be Matt's El Rancho down on South Lamar.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #68
New Boot

DVD Info Hoot Night

Chris:

That sounds good to me. Let's go for it! I also like the Mexican restaurant in Manchaca (can't remember the name right now, but they just opened one up by Lakeline mall.

Looks to me that you may also be a Linux geek?? Am I correct?

Rod
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #69
Regular Crew

I have only tried to eat at Matt's once and the wait was too long. I would be interested in a local chapter eating, err meeting... Haha. I got some buddies that would most likely be interested too.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #70
Obstreperous Rex

Wait's too long at Matt's? How about Guero's Taco Bar on South Congress.

(Rod -- read my code!)

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #71
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Wait's too long at Matt's?
No, the wait was just too long that one time, and I still want to try it. We all know trying a new restaurant with new people will be cool or a disaster, and either way it will be a cool memory.
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Chris, shouldn't you be W+++$?
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #73
New Boot

Chris:

OK, I found the translator.

I have seen folks using geek code for awhile but never had the time or interest in figuring out how to translate it.

You have set me straight now! ;-}}

Rod
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:34 AM   #74
Tourist

New to the forum ... been in the biz for a while.

Started on a cuts only system, Sony 2860s and a 1610 camera ... does that date me?

Gone through the natural procession of equipment ...

DXC 325s
VO 58xx
BVU 9xx
UVW100
UVW 1800

Amiga 2000s/Toaster (actually met Kiki at NAB/Dallas)
Media 100 (multiple revs)

Lightwave 3D

Now using GL2 and Matrox Extreme

I am SW of the DFW area ...
Mitch Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:28 AM   #75
Obstreperous Rex

Welcome aboard, Mitch! Always nice to see another fellow Texan, as it helps to offset the surprising number of Canajians and Aussies we have running around here.

For Brooks:

Quote:
Chris, shouldn't you be W+++$?
You'd think so, and I'd sure like to be W+++$, but the fact of the matter is that I'm just barely W++$ as it is, if even that much.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood