DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hola from Kansas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/23346-hola-kansas.html)

Stephen Schleicher March 22nd, 2004 01:46 PM

Hola from Kansas

I've posted in the forums many times, but have never taken the time to introduce myself.

I'm Stephen Schleicher and currently live in Hays, Kansas. Hays is located halfway between "Huh?" and "Where?". In reality it is located on I-70 halfway between Denver and Kansas City.

I have my Masters degree in Communication with an emphasis in Radio/TV/Film.

I worked freelance for many years in Atlanta, Georgia as a shooter, editor, and animator. I then moved to SoCal to work for Digital Media Online, Inc. You may have seen some of our sites www.creativemac.com, www.digitalvideoediting.com, and www.digitalproducer.com.

I still work and write for DMN, but have also moved to Kansas (don't ask...) and teach at Fort Hays State University in the Information Networking and Telecommunications Department. I teach courses on video production (ENG, EFP, motion graphics, editing (avid and fcp), etc.) and teach courses on web development. The philosophy in our department is (and has been since 1995) that media, web, and networking have converged.

In addition to molding the minds of young students (who all say my classes are way to tough), and writing reviews, tutorials, and features for DMN, I also find time to go out and produce every once in a while.

My current set up includes

Sony PD150
Wireless and wired mics
boom
shotgun mic
lights, gels, filters, softboxes, etc.
DSR-11
FCP4
After Effects
Combustion
LightWave

More info can be found on my site

Cheers!

Will Downing March 23rd, 2004 07:54 AM

Hello from Topeka

Stephen,
Good to see someone from west of Highway 81 out on the boards. We're on the other side of the state (for those of you unfamiliar with Kansas...it's a looong way from Hays) and if you're ever our way, you've an open invitation to stop by and visit our shop here at the Patrol. We shoot a variety of formats and projects for both state and local agencies, teach a little and are getting into the forensic video world, albeit slowly. I've even got one of your graduates working for me here. Take care and feel free to drop us a line.

Will
Kansas Highway Patrol
Media Productions

Jeff Donald March 23rd, 2004 09:07 AM

Hi Stephen and welcome to DV Info. I've travelled to Kansas many times, staying in the big metropolis of Stafford. I'm glad you've traveled to DV Info and am thankful got your contributions.

Stephen Schleicher March 23rd, 2004 12:29 PM

Will: Thanks for the invitie. My wife and I get the heck out of Hays quite often and go to the east side (where I grew up) to relax, shop, and genearlly do things you can't do in Hays (quite a bit).

I've also been to Kansas City/Overland Park area a couple of times to do one day seminars on Final Cut Pro and After Effects at a couple of video facilities up that way.

Jeff: I believe we have a couple of students from stafford in our department.

Cheers

Stephen Schleicher March 24th, 2004 05:43 PM

Bill, who is the student? Is he/she an INT student?

Cheers

Will Downing March 25th, 2004 07:29 AM

Stephen,
Yeah, she was an INT student, Angela Frasure. We send PSA's out to Becky Kaiser, and she and Angela know each other. She graduated in the late 90's.

Will

Stephen Schleicher March 25th, 2004 09:43 AM

Cool,

I didn't come back to teach at FHSU until 2001/2.

I'll get the office number from becky and give you a call. Any chance students might be able to get a tour at your facility? My students will be up that way April 4 and 5 for KAB.

Cheers

Stephen Schleicher

Will Downing March 25th, 2004 03:40 PM

Sure, we'd love to have you stop by and visit. We're in all day on the April 5th. We can answer questions and show off a little. We're always open to helping anyone wanting to learn.

Will