Opera and Theatte director...how do I start? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 13th, 2002, 05:26 PM   #1
Bluebeard

Opera and Theatte director...how do I start?

I have been directing opera for the last 11 years.
I just got a job directing a show I created at the Kennedy Center in 2004....way excited about it...

I am here in LA trying to start working with film...I need advice about how to start...I would love to meet other people making
independent films...I am not sure what to buy or rent and how to use it...I know my way around the AVID a bit...I am technically-minded enough to teach myself...Anyone have any ideas???

THANKS
BLUEBEARD...aka Brad
310-621-9575 cell
Old August 13th, 2002, 05:35 PM   #2
Major Player

You might want to get in touch with Charles Papert who is an active participant here. You can also check out his web site at:

http://www.instantfilms.com/

He might be able to point you in the right direction.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 06:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I was about to post the same message. He is one of the most knowledgable people I have read.

Checkout his film work at Ifilm.com
Old August 14th, 2002, 08:27 PM   #4
New Boot

a few thoughts, for what worth

Brad,

first, consider the difference between film (celluloid) and digital video -- and consider opting for the latter as an artistically viable and economically much more feasible way to go.

Concerning a worthwhile take on this topic, Jon Jost's articles in DV Magazine are well worth perusal -- e.g.:

http://www.dv.com/columns/columns_item.jhtml?LookupId=/dv/xml/feature/2001/jost0901&category=Cinema%20Electronica&_requestid=2526078

Jost's approach takes the camera as primary -- i.e., as generative of material and ideas (rather than merely an instrument subserviant to the conventional rigamarole of script, non-cameraman director, hierarchy, blah-blah) . . .

Second, in general, as you review equipment / medium issues and suchlike, chances are you'll end up concluding that a 3-chip ("prosumer") DV camera is a good way to go; -- among the most notable options in that regard at this point are the Sony PD150 or VX2000, or the Canon GL2 or XL1S.

For editing systems, on the Mac side (as perhaps you are, what with mention of Avid), Final Cut Pro has enjoyed popularity. On the PC side, Premiere and Vegas Video seem the flavors of the era. (I happen to use Applied Magic's Screenplay system.)

Good luck in your quest.

d.i.

ps: as mentioned on phone just now, one wise film-world figure in LA (in my estimation) is filmmaker / director / critic / theorist Peter Wollen, who has in recent years been running the Film & Television Department at UCLA. Considering he is thus in contact with a continual stream of bright-eyed film/video aspirants, it seems likely that a session chatting with him might prove valuable toward sorting out aims & purposes as well as perhaps some of the local options and possibilities . . . ; (I'm here presuming such a professor may be amenable to sit & confer with one of your ilk, w/o necessity of being involved in academic program)
Other Shore DVD
davidisrael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood