From the Swamp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 13th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

From the Swamp

Hi everyone....I've from Southeast Missouri, otherwise known as "Swampeast" Missouri ('cause it was until 1911). My neck of the woods is largely agricultural - Mississippi Delta - cotton, corn, soybeans, rice, etc.

About 9 years ago, I went nuts, sold my insurance agency, and started a marketing and media company. Pretty much a one man band. Emphasis initially was shooting ag related stuff for magazines...some covers, some editorial stuff...until I figured out that that sort of thing does not pay the bills. Stayed with still photos for about 2 years...shot everything from industrial to rodeos.

Finally figured out that I could make money from doing brochures with the pix I took. Stayed with print media until about a year ago. Bought a Panasonic AGDVC200, wireless mic, tripod, some lighting, and Vegas 4. Have shot a number of commercials for local businesses. Unfortunately, the local TV station (CBS affiliate) decided they'd get in the production biz. (We'll shoot you commercial for $200 if you buy a $25,000 ad package.)

Refocusing on more print and web site work....truly love video and editing but not sure it's gonna be a viabile part of my business.

Hummm....didn't mean to get so long winded...at any rate, I really like this "community". When I first started shooting, I had some questions and posted them on some board I found. Can't remember the name, but anytime I asked a question, all I got was ridicule...so...I found you folks and am truly impressed with the knowledge, professionalism, and most of all the common decency displayed in the responses.

Glad to be here.

Regards, ya'll - David Bird
David Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:52 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hey David.

Welcome to the forum!
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

hey david, welcome friend! as for the local tv competition...do what i do and pump up the quality of your productions as much as you can. by increasing your production value beyond the schlock that most tv and cable stations produce for "200 dollars" or "free" you can recapture your lost business. get or make a jib arm and dolly, make some new demo commercials using high production value, and get back out there and sell quality. those tv stations and cable companies will still give those advertisers a cheap deal on the media buy cause they NEED to sell that airtime. tell your client (or do the media buy for them) to negotiate for it. 25k pkg and free commercial can still be acheived with your company producing a 5k commercial and a 20k pkg and its gonna look and sell much better! sell your client on that! good luck!above all get back out there and shoot the best stuff you can!!!
have fun too! (by the way, you can check my demo at my website)

marc sacco
www.zenimage.com
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #4
New Boot

I am from the New Orleans, LA area. I currently run Scout Pro Productions, LLC, a small professional videography service company. I am always interested in networking possibilities, new "within industry" friendships, new projects/jobs, and general pro video/photo discussion.

Drop me a line or two anytime and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Scott J. Owens
Video Producer/Editor,
Scout Pro Productions, LLC
scott@scoutprovideo.com
Welcome
Scott Owens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood