Greetings from Ireland at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 28th, 2002, 03:47 PM   #1
Michael Hickey

Greetings from Ireland

Hello there!

I have been accessing this site for the past year and I feel I know many of you already due to you postings. My congratulations to you for providing such a useful learning resource. I have learned a lot from the threads on various issues over that time - many thanks! It has taken me this long to register unfortunately – was a bit hesitant about jumping in - and hopefully I can contribute something useful in due course, maybe to the newer members rather than the "old hands" ;)

For anyone who's interested here is a little about me! I live in Cobh (pronounced cove) on the southern shores of Ireland (the Emerald Isle). I have not come across any Irish members on the site so far L. I work with an American Medical Device manufacturer and have previously spent 16 years with a magnetic media manufacturer - helps me understand some of the issues of magnetic recording!
My first job was as a Medical Lab Technician in a Pathology Dept - I can identify with the recent posting from new member Ross Milligan from Scotland regarding the smells!!

I have long been interested in video making and have previously used a JVC GRAX35 VHS camcorder. My first movie camera was, in fact, a Keystone 8mm camera – the one which had to be wound up (I kid you not) and ran for 30 secs at a time (I must be giving away my age now). The Canon XL1 was my first major purchase (approx 18 months ago) and I find the video quality absolutely wonderful although I had some trouble sorting out how the audio modes worked.

I had done a few weddings for family or friends using my old camera but never felt confident enough to take one on for a paying client – until now. I have just produced my first wedding video and was really pleased with the results – the client said she has never seen anything like it! That really made my day!

So I’ll finish up at this stage and hope to talk to you again soon!

Regards
Old August 28th, 2002, 05:11 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Michael!

Glad you decided to step forward and formally join the community. Congratulations on your decision to take the next step in your filmmaking/videography interests. I, too, spent many years in another field and decided to retire last year and spend more time on pursuits that interest me such as filmmaking and videography.

You're certainly not alone in your initial mystification at the XL1's audio features. The XL1s adds yet a bit more features...and more mystification possibilities.

A Warm Welcome!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 04:41 PM   #3
Michael Hickey

Hi Ken,
Thank you for the welcome, much appreciated!
I am hoping to build up the video side - weddings, training etc - and who knows what may happen in a few years! I was always artistic and have been developing the technical side with a view to providing the best product I can. I have watched some professional wedding productions and can honestly say that very little thought was involved. I feel that if one takes time and pride in what you are doing that will be reflected in increased business - hopefully!
Talk to you again.
Old August 29th, 2002, 05:57 PM   #4

Slange, Michael!

Looking forward to seeing you on the boards. Maybe someday you'll give us a peek at some of your footage? Ireland is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful places on Earth.
Old August 29th, 2002, 06:14 PM   #5
Michael Hickey

Hello John,

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, Ireland is beautiful and I need to be reminded of that at times...you know what they say about not appreciating what is in your own back garden!!! The land is very green of course but the downside to that is we have a lot of rain - can't have everything!

Talking of footage, I had toyed with the idea of making a video on local history - I live in Cobh which was the last port of call for the Titanic before she sailed for the US and her place in history. Maybe I'll do a video on that someday!

By the way, I will be visiting Singapore next October - near your corner of the world! Have you ever been there and any suggestions on places to visit?

Regards
Old August 29th, 2002, 07:23 PM   #6

Michael,

The Titanic video would be really interesting. Let me know if you follow through with that. But actually...any footage there would be interesting. I, for one, like the dark grey skies that are so common there. It seems to make the greenery glow almost.

It's true what you say about not appreciating our own backyards. I grew up in the Texas Panhandle which isn't famous for it's scenery to say the least. When I was younger, I couldn't wait to get out of there. But since I've been away from there for so long, I've started appreciating the landscape more and more...in films like Castaway (opening and closing), Road to Perdition (similar terrain), and "Twister." Something to be said for the simplicity of a sea of grass and horizon-to-horizon sky.

As for Singapore, the only thing I've seen is the fantastic airport they have...indoor gardens, hourly rest hotels, huge shopping mall, free movies, etc. I've had quite a few friends tell me that "outside the airport" is equally fantastic...the peaceful blending of cultures making for interesting architecture and such. Lots of great food I hear, too. One friend recommended taking a day trip away from the city to the nearby islands...there's a nice nature preserve I think on one of them.

There are at least a couple of members here from that neck of the woods. Hopefully, they'll chime in and give you more details.

Two things--

Try to stop by Kuala Lumpur, if you can. It's really worth the trip. And take at least a day trip to Melaka if you do stopover. Hong Kong and Bangkok are other great places to visit. If you wind up going to any of these places, let me know. These I have visited, so I can give more details.

And if you get to Tokyo, I'll treat you to a pint and whirlwind tour. Probably could get Adrian and Rik to join us for a pint, too!
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #7
Tourist

Hello from Northern Ireland

Hello everyone! I'm from Northern Ireland (about half an hour's drive north of Belfast) and I'm a wannabe short movie maker ...

I'll hopefully be getting my first DV cam in the next few weeks, if I can decide which one ... :)

Anyone else from Northern Ireland on here?

All the best,

Andrew
Andrew Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

Hello from the other side of the pond Andrew! Welcome aboard
DVInfo.net, it's good to have you with us!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm not Irish but I am the biggest U2 fan in the world!!!
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #10
Tourist

Northern Ireland

Hi, anybody around from Northern Ireland?
Spike Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Hill
Hi, anybody around from Northern Ireland?
Well, one of my great-great-grandfathers came from there. I believe you could tell some interesting stories about how different it must be to go out with a videocamera in your region. I imagine there could be many dangers as well as unique things you might capture on video. What sort of equipment do you use and what do you do with the results? I've been wondering why so few people post messages on video groups, who are from the Gaelic countries of Ireland and Scotland and No. Ireland.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #12
Tourist

Leo Larkin

Hi
yeah I'm from Portadown
Leo Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:20 AM   #13
Tourist

Not from the North. From Clare, working in Westmeath at the moment
David Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:22 AM   #14
Tourist

I'm from Clare, working with a GL2. I'm currently working as an Engineer for Eircsson in Athlone.
David Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:19 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Northern Ireland

Hi Spike & Leo,
Sorry for digging up an old post but I have not visited this part of the forum before.
I too live in portadown and have been recording video for about 25 years for family and friends and still enjoying it.
I especially enjoy the editing ( as long as the program dosen't crash) where you can turn rough footage and turn it into something worth watching.

I use a Canon XL1i as my main camcorder and have a Canon XM2 and a panasonic AG-DVC15E as back-ups.

Nice to meet you.

Dave
David Morton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood