Musician from Alaska picking brains at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 16th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #1
Tourist

Musician from Alaska picking brains

Allow me to introduce myself. I live in Anchorage Alaska, a long time local folk musician working right here at home in local pubs cafes, festivals and such...I recently caught the video bug when a Malaysian filmaker happened by a performance I gave and offered to film me. Another friend got involved with the editing and I came out with a short live performance video with some interesting effects...it's a great product to offer at shows...a DVD of myself performing...a little above the average CD musicians can offer. Because of the video a local producer wants to make a music video. I also went on a brain storm and decided I wanted to make a documentary about being a performing artist...the behind the scenes stuff...studio recording, radio interviews, setting up shows, and of course, live performances...now I need a proper camera and I have realized they are a lot more expensive than I thought. My producer friend who wants to make the music video suggested I get either a sony or a canon with a 3 CCD chip...now I have done a little investigating and this is way out of my price range. I have resigned myself to starting with a lessor camera and hopefully adding the top line camera to my collection in the future. Does anyone have advice as to what is the bare minimum I need for my little documentary...I would love top of the line equipment but I just can't afford it!

you can also look at samples of my performance video on my website if your interested in checking out my music
http://hometown.aol.com/bananimalr

all advice is appreciated as I am barely getting my feet wet here in DV...thanks!
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Hello Crystal and welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net! It's good to have you with
us and I'll check out your music!

All the best,

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #3
Tourist

thanks for the welcome...well, I was expecting an outpouring of advice from this community teeming with DV enthusiasts, but hey, no matter...I've gone and done it...I found a great camera at a pawn shop in my price range...a Sony mini DV with a 3 CCD chip and all...with my minimal hand cam experience I've played around a bit and realized I am going to need a lot of practice...even working with a tripod...but I feel like a little kid who just opened a door to a giant playground...yee hah
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Well, this forum is for people to introduce themselves etc. A lot of folk do
not read it. A forum like "open DV discussion" gets a lot more exposure to
general questions like "which camera should I get" etc.

Always try to put each question in the best forum (read the descriptions on
the main index). That should yield more answers!

All the best with your purchase!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Have you thought of looking here for videographers in your area? It would be cheaper and maybe better to pay them a little bit to do the shooting for you. It would be far better to get the video done with a great camera than not being satified with the output. If the "behind the scenes" program is about you, how would you shoot it?

Dan
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

The guys are right, in suggesting you find a videographer. The original expense of necessary equipment in just the beginning. Camera, tripod, mics, lights... the cost is pretty high to shoot a documentary right. Once you spend that cash, you still need to shoot it, which means learning to use all of your new equipment.

There is at least one board member living in Alaska, and likely a few non board videographers. There is bound to be one person willing to help shoot, for less than the cost of all the afore mentioned gear. Somebody is sure to be within a days journey by dogsled ;)
Old April 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #7
Machinist Mate

Hey Crystal, that's a mighty nice lookin ovation you're strummin! Made right here in CT. Haven't been playing mine as much recently after getting an electric ax (yeah, they yelled at Bob Dylan for doing that!)

I agree with the guys here, there's a lot more to it than owning a camera, irrespective of brand and model. Of course, having it with you at all times behind the scenes can yield some interesting footage (and lots of crappy stuff too). Pearl Jam have been shooting their own DV and doing post-production right aboard the bus. Actually, post makes all the difference. I have to believe that there is a good editor in the Anch. area that can compile your home-brew footage and whatever amount of professionally-shot footage you can get hold of into something worth watching.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood