Madness in Miami--DV Info to Blame? : ) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 5th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Thats it Lorinda, I'm coming out there for vacation soon, even if the place is crawling with ex californians trying to ruin the place. My cousin is married to the comptroller for Boise Cascade and can get me access to the best places to visit/camp in their forests. One of my favorite drives is up the canyon of the North Payette river, accross the basin of the McCall resevoir and having lunch at Lardos. She also has a cabin north of the McCall resevoir accross the mountians in the Saw Tooth. Truly inspiring and beautiful.

I used to live in Boise as a small boy. Today the place I used to live has been replaced by a large Post Office bldg. The street isn't even there anymore.
But last time I was there (late 90s) the bar that runs Chicken Sh#t bingo is still there!! It was the place my moms' brothers took her for her first official 'I'm legal and want to get drunk' party. We had lunch and I had a beer to commemorate the event.
If I could get a decent day job out there, I'd move in a heart beat. But the area is desirable and the average pay is low it seems. And public access to land is getting less and less available. Eagle Mountain still seems remote enough though.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #32
Wrangler

LOL, Joe. "That's it." Looks like Rick is making people hungry! I'll have to tell the guys at the meat place to make LOTS of jerky, 'cause a bunch of hungry DV Info-ers are coming to town.

About this bingo thing....Never heard of it, but it sounds like something some really old rednecks invented. :)

There are still ways to get away from it all. Ya just have to look at little harder nowadays. Maybe I'll see you here one of these days!
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #33
Trustee

Idaho

My hero, Steve McQueen, wanted to move out to Idaho. I need to get out there some day myself. It looks great on video.
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #34
Wrangler

most Idahoans are smarter than this:

I could've used somebody like Steve McQueen to guard my room in Bal Harbour--or guard me from my own naivete. Where I live (rural) we don't lock our cars or homes because thefts are rare. Well...

Like an idiot, I left the key to the mini-bar on a table for two days. Just got my bill today and after talking with the hotel it appears that folks in housekeeping had some refreshments at my expense. They must not have cleaned it out, but it's 36.00 more than I planned to leave as a tip. Can you tell I don't travel much?

You warned me, Hugh! Just a couple days too late, as it turns out. :)
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #35
Major Player

Well!!! This board is a wealth of information. There's more to it than video.

I've learnt what 'jerky' is. We don't have it here. Lorinda was going to send me some but our Government wont allow it in the country. Must be great stuff.

Looks like I better come to Idaho as well, along with Steve McQueen and about 17,000 DVInfo video nuts.

A tip for Lorinda. Better find ya keys and lock up ya video gear up with us around. Ya manual lens might get flogged, (nicked). What word do you guys use for pinched?
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #36
Wrangler

Owen, Mate! You and I need to talk. :)

How do I put this, other than tell you that the late Steve McQueen won't be joining the party. See? Even more information than you thought!

As for visiting, I'm gonna hold ya to it.

And the word out here isn't as imaginative as any of yours. We just call it "STOLEN." :)
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:58 AM   #37
Major Player

OK Lorinda: OK!!! You won that round.

But I have it on good authority that Elvis is still alive!!
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Owen, didn't you watch Bubba Ho Tep? Of course Elvis is alive.

nicked?, we just stay stolen, or ripped off.

You can buy kits that make Jerky on line. I've heard NZ is beautiful, but expensive to get to and more sheep than people.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #39
Trustee

Mini Bar Key

Now, what was the first darned thing I told you, Lorinda? Watch that key! Of course the "help" helped themselves to the bar! Do not pay that bill! You can call the manager and protest the charge and explain that you accidetally left the key on the table. First of all, $6.00 for a bottle of water is a disgrace. It is a crime. Do not pay it. Call the management and refute the charge. Heck, the place will be demolished by June to make way for the new hotel they will be building on that same spot.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #40
Wrangler

ending the suspense

I just knew that anyone reading this would be dying to know how the mini bar drama turned out. ;)

Following the instructions of the kind lady at the Sheraton I sent an e-mail explaining the situation. They credited my account almost immediately. So there you have it--not one bad memory of Florida! And I'm still smiling about all the others...

Hey, Rob! Did you go to SoCo? (What IS that, BTW?) And are you saving up for Miami next year? Sounds like Keith might be there too!
Old June 12th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #41
Capt. Quirk

Might be??? I look for excuses to hide from the wife and kids for a day or two! Why do you think I would go to Georgia for a shoot that only pays $100-200 ? I spent 5 days at a ranch resort, doing a promo for free... it was glorious ;)
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Thank You

Just joined and read all of the above. Not only did I get the right camera, Canon GL2, I also lucked out and joined a great board. Thanks for sharing your good times with us newbes, especially me who has felt for a long time that I lived on an uncharted island in the middle of an uncharted ocean.
Yours,
Tom Elliott
http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #43
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Elliott
Just joined and read all of the above.
Congratulations on wading through all this nonsense, Tom--you must be a patient guy (or bored stiff). :)

I'm glad you found a way off "Gilligan's Island." Welcome, and have fun shooting!
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #44
Major Player

Welcome to the MADNESS, Tom!

We are all relatively normal here Tom, that is, until the voices start speaking to us...uh-oh, there goes one now!

WAIT A MINUTE, DAMN IT! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M TRYING TO TYPE!!!

Uh, sorry Tom, where was I? Oh yeah, we're pretty normal...uhhhh, never mind!

RB ;)
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Gilligian is Free

Dear Lorinda,
Thanks for the responce.
With the Internet and forums such as these, my market is global. After being part of another ISP (not my own domain name) for two years, a tabloid in Denmark hired me for three assignments that paid for the previous two years on the net, that is when my biggest supporter and CFO (my wife) strongly suggested that I get a domain name.
The pace here is not as fast as NYC in the late 60's/70's and it is picking up.
My easy money is doing video depositions with my wife. The GL2 available light and sound quality is GREAT. The hard money is weddings. My "heart" money is doing short narratives. One I wrote and used my grandkids. The next one is going to be a film/video based on a short story written by my mom.
More than likely the next video will be the challenge posted on this board.
One of the reason I joind a local camera club (never thought I would) is that the assignments are done for the love of it - hence my "heart" assignments.
Again thanks for the response.
If you have a chance here is my web site: http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com
My "heart" pictures on the site are the celebrities, done while a film production manager for the filmed parts of a day time TV show called "Dateline: Hollywood", staring Rona Barrett and Joana Barns.
Yours,
Tom Elliott
Miami, Florida
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood