Madness in Miami--DV Info to Blame? : ) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 1st, 2005, 12:50 AM   #1
Wrangler

Madness in Miami--DV Info to Blame? : )

Last week I spent four incredible days in Miami in the company of two of DV Info's famous--wait, let's make that notorious--members, Rick Bravo and Hugh DiMauro.

From what I understood they'd already inflicted their brand of humor on folks at a gala awards event for local police AND had been carousing in the Florida Keys for several days, so I expected them to be worn out by the time I met them. Not so.

Here it was, the first time I'd laid eyes on either one of them, yet they welcomed me right in with an initiation to a world of great food, their side-splitting humor, and liquid refreshments that’ll just knock your hat off. (That one concoction really should be restricted, fellas. And thanks for introducing it to me on our last day, then propping me up on a bench outside Miami International and driving off!)

Naturally, we talked (a little) about camera techniques, plus Rick kindly showed us through the video services unit he supervises at Miami Dade Police Dept. The level of production he maintains, the equipment he uses, the facilities—it’s absolutely amazing! His work is amazing.

As if that wasn’t enough, he took us out to a shooting range where the actors in Miami Vice “The Movie” were training on gun handling and shooting. Now I can hardly wait for the movie to come out to see how well they do!

Then there’s Hugh. My, my…there’s not room here to even get started talking about this entertaining and charming bundle of energy. He does a great cannonball down a water slide—we’ll just leave it at that for now! : )

If it weren’t for this community, I wouldn’t even know these two wonderful guys. I learned a lot and had the time of my life, so to Hugh, Rick, and the people who make DV Info possible I just want to say, “THANK YOU!”

BTW, Happy Birthday, Rick!
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:16 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Gee... I wish I had known about this suare. I'm only 6 hours north of there.
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:22 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Sounds like you had a blast there Lorinda! The real question, of course, is
what you where doing in Miami in the first place? Vacation? :)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Wrangler

Next time, Keith? I sure hope there's a next time, anyway. I would have a little trouble believing it's a six hour drive from where you live if I hadn't experienced that traffic. It's like rush hour 24 hours a day. : )

Rob, I was there for the sole purpose of meeting these guys and having a great vacation. I weighed between buying a new computer that would handle Vegas better or going to Miami. I made the right choice, no doubt about it. When I'm waiting on lags while editing or on a long render I'll just think back on all the fun!
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:50 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Believe it or not Lorinda, the drive down doesn't get bad for about four hours. That is just about north of Fort Lauderdale, and it gets worse the closer you get to Miami. At that point, it gets hairy. Even coming back at 2 or 3 AM, the lower stretch of I-95 is busy. Once I get north of Lauderdale, I can make the drive home with my eyes closed... and have on several occasions ;)
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:04 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Linda, you endured Bravo and The Hugh together?

Holy Cow, congratulations! Try that in a trade show environment sometime, heh.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:10 AM   #7
Wrangler

Ha! Thank you, Chris. Yeah, I'm sure they act up even more in a charged-up environment.

And thanks for moving this where it belongs. I couldn't decide.
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:13 AM   #8
Trustee

Ahhh yes! Miami!

Dear fellow DV Infoers:

I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting yet another esteemed DV Info member, Lorinda Norton. How shall I begin? Well, I must once again thank Chris Hurd for hosting a magnificent website which has given me so much more than I have given it. I always try to contribute when I can and will continue to do so for as long as I am breathing. In any case, since my membership, I have met wonderful, helpful colleagues on here and made two extremely close friends in the process: Rick Bravo of Miami, Florida and Lorinda Norton of Nampa, Idaho. Rick has turned out to be like a brother to me and Lorinda is the sister I never had but who I always wanted to tease. She's a great sport and has even bailed me out of some tight Vegas Video spots. She is also a very talented singer, songwriter and videographer. Believe me. I've seen and heard her work. I am humbled. I have learned from the both of them and will continue to hone my craft through them.

DV Info has helped enrich my life through technical assistance in videography, helping me to improve my technique and knowledge base and by introducing me to two lifelong friends.
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM   #9
Wrangler

So you want to get serious?

The many facets of Hugh: Comedian, energizer, encourager. He's intelligent as all get out and one of the most thoughtful people I know. Besides all that, he's an amazing (and I mean AMAZING) writer, and his video work puts mine to complete and utter shame. Because he has a serious, highly creative side he's able to capture images I can only appreciate--not emulate.

But then there's that not-very-serious side... : )
Old June 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM   #10
Trustee

Looks like its time to put Lorinda over my knee.

Bad girl!
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:50 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey Guys. It's a small world after all. I met Lorinda on this board as well. The emails fly back and forth between Idaho and New Zealand like wild fire for almost a year now. We share videos and ideas on almost any subject. This is a great board for meeting and making friends. Yep, she's right mate!!!
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:03 AM   #12
Wrangler

Hi Owen!!!!

Yep, Hugh's always having to hear about my "Kiwi friend" and the beautiful work you produce. Nice to have all the mates in one place! (Well, sort of; we've gotta figure out a way to get you across all that water so you can REALLY join the party.) :)

Except we're missing a Very Important Person here. Rick, where are ya?

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; June 2nd, 2005 at 12:31 AM.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:39 AM   #13
Trustee

Hey Lorinda, how is Idaho? I spent three years there at U of I in Moscow, ID. Loved it. A little on the cold side but a beautiful place. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:57 AM   #14
Trustee

New Zealand

One of our assistant prosecutors is from New Zealand and she just quit and returned home. We loved her accent.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:06 AM   #15
Wrangler

Hi Bob,

Funny you should ask. Owen here was just giving me static (private e-mail) for complaining about the cold! Usually, we're warmin' up pretty good by now.

My son is going into his third year at U of I. And you're right; it's much prettier in North Idaho than where I live.

People are still moving here in droves--I can't figure it out when there aren't that many jobs available. (Micron & HP are the biggest employers.) Realtors are smiling from ear to ear these days.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood