DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Greetings from Tasmania, Australia (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/45880-greetings-tasmania-australia.html)

Nicholas Storr June 7th, 2005 08:13 PM

Greetings from Tasmania, Australia

I've been here for a little while, posted a few times... but realised I never actually came in and said "hi" :)

I'm Nick, I'm from Hobart, Australia. It's in Tasmania, which is the little island state down the bottom right on your map :P

I started in television standing behind a studio camera ped looking nervous, and over the next 9 years progressed through soundo/camera assist, to ENG/EFP camera, and then a 3 year diversion into the graphics department.

I resigned in February of 2004 to pursue a university education, but did the odd ENG shift on a casual/freelance basis. After another diversion of a well-paid but batshit dull office job for the first half of this year, I'm about to return to uni to finish that up, and I'm sidling back into the ENG thing to make ends meet. Seems the break away might have been just what the doctor ordered, as I really feel like I've "found the love" for shooting again.

ENG work is great, and helps pay the bills - and keeps me up to date with "proper" industry camera gear, but I'm wanting to diversify out into some more interesting and creatively rewarding projects, which is why I'm hanging around here... Until that lottery win, I'm definitely a miniDV user for my own projects. Not a big problem - I'm a firm believer that it's the operator who primarily determines the quality of the image. Of course, HDcam will always look better than Hi-8, given the same operator! Still... I'd rather make the best of what I have, rather than sit and wait to buy something new (although that new Panasonic Hi-def unit looks pretty damn nice).

Um, so that's me... Howdy. Sorry I didn't say hi sooner :)

Rob Lohman June 12th, 2005 04:37 AM

Hello Nicholas! A belated welcome aboard. Good to have you with us!

Nicholas Storr June 13th, 2005 05:22 PM

Thanks Rob :)

J. Stephen McDonald June 13th, 2005 07:16 PM

Nick, just wait for the next ice age and you'll be living on a peninsula. I imagine that if you wear some high, snakeproof boots, Tasmania would be a paradise for wilderness and Nature videomaking. I saw a recent show about a renewed interest in Thylacine sightings there and in Western Australia. I'd probably be among those packing a camera around, looking for one, if I lived there. What sort of things are hot items for news gathering in your locale?
How different is it from the coverage you'd see here in the U.S.?

Nicholas Storr June 13th, 2005 07:31 PM

Quote:

I imagine that if you wear some high, snakeproof boots, Tasmania would be a paradise for wilderness and Nature videomaking.
You are almost definitely right, however in this case, I think familiarity has bred apathy, if not contempt. :) Actually I was just throwing a condensed showreel together to put online, and it struck me that the best animal stuff I'd done was in Perth Zoo, Western Australia! Perhaps I should venture out locally and see what I can see...

Quote:

What sort of things are hot items for news gathering in your locale?
It's fairly provincial stuff... local politics, court, a lot of colour stories... It's a funny mix of capital-city style and "small town" human interest. I don't see a lot of U.S. coverage, apart from the big internationally relevant stuff that makes it onto our networks via affiliation, so its hard to compare.

Kyle Ringin June 13th, 2005 09:14 PM

G'day Nicholas,
Be sure to post the link to your website when it's up and running.

Cheers.

Nicholas Storr June 14th, 2005 04:30 AM

Quote:

Be sure to post the link to your website when it's up and running.
By all means... I'm still putting together the HTML, but you can download a near-complete cut of the showreel:

http://nstorr.customer.netspace.net.au/nickstorr.wmv

Kryz Woodhouse July 6th, 2005 08:47 PM

Hey there, just thought I would say hi.

Good to see someone comparitively local.

Chris Thiele July 18th, 2005 12:25 AM

Oh goody, two other Tasmanians here.
I'm from Launy (Launceston to others)
With Nicholas in the South of the State,
Kryz in the North West.
Myself in the North, we almost have it covered. ;)

Kryz Woodhouse September 12th, 2005 09:53 PM

Hey there Chris.

Us Tasmanians keep popping up everywhere. Hope Launie's good. I'm often over that way for meetings regarding video projects. What sort of camera stuff do you get up to?