DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   How many women on these boards? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/46246-how-many-women-these-boards.html)

Mathieu Ghekiere June 15th, 2005 05:33 AM

How many women on these boards?

Hey,

can anyone inform me a little bit on how many women there are on these boards?
I'm talking to a girl about these wonderful boards, and she says it's a typical 'man' thing to do, looking at these boards and being so involved with technics.
I told her it's just handy to learn every day if you want to do your job well, and I said I believed there were a number of females at these boards too, so I decided to post this question, more out of curiousity.

Is it a typical male thing to do?
Isn't it in fact the same thing if you as a male cinematographer looking at the technics of a specific camera to do your job better, in comparison with (to use a stereotype cliché) a female who is designing fashion and learning about all new kinds of clothing?
Or are we, males, a little bit more busy with technics?
Because for me, I'm only interested with technics if it has something to do with movies, but other things (for example cars) don't interest me one bit.

Ps: I hope no one sees this question or example as offending or sexist.
I know the example (male - technics, female - fashion) where very stereotype.
I tried to let the girl believe there were many many girls on these boards too ;-)

K. Forman June 15th, 2005 08:56 AM

There are several females on this board. A lot of them are skilled in what they do, and still stop by to either get some info, or offer advice. Just like us males. Only, they have better fashion sense, and can coordinate their camera's accessories in pink ;)

Lorinda Norton June 15th, 2005 09:42 AM

Keith, am I going to have to deal with you? ;)

Hi Mathieu,

I think there are probably around a dozen "active" posters here, but I don't pay that close of attention.

From the time my best friend (a guy) said, "Wouldn't it be fun to do music videos?" and then the words that have come back to haunt us time and again, "How hard can it be?" -- I've been hanging around here getting as much help as I can.

This place is GREAT. Everyone is so willing to help, kind, and PATIENT. :) I wouldn't have stuck with video this long if it weren't for DV Info. It's said so often that I hope it doesn't get old, but "Thank you, Chris Hurd." And "Thank you, everyone who has helped and been so kind."

Hope I don't get in trouble now: The trick here is trying to determine possible "boys only" threads and keep my thoughts to myself. To be perfectly honest, I believe that guys need places where they can get away from....um.....stuff--stuff that comes from that other side of the world. So I try to be careful with that, though sometimes I say what I want (what a surprise?).

On the other hand, by actively corresponding on this board I now have three of the greatest friends I've ever known. It just doesn't get any better than that.

BTW, Keith. All my extra stuff is blue. :)

Mathieu Ghekiere June 15th, 2005 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
This place is GREAT. Everyone is so willing to help, kind, and PATIENT. :) I wouldn't have stuck with video this long if it weren't for DV Info. It's said so often that I hope it doesn't get old, but "Thank you, Chris Hurd." And "Thank you, everyone who has helped and been so kind."

It never gets old ;-)
Couldn't agree with you more.

Ken Tanaka June 15th, 2005 10:45 AM

Mathieu,
As one of this place's registrars I can tell you that new members using recognizably feminine names are few and far between. The number of female posters is even smaller. (Interestingly, only about 10% of registered members of any gender ever post more than 1 message.)

Quite some time ago we mods discussed ideas for making DVInfo more female-friendly. But basically we concluded that it's already there. That is, it's free from flaming and it's a genteel place for exchanging information.

Gear-oriented venues --such as boards devoted photography, audio, autos, and video-- just don't seem to attract female participation in great numbers although I've long suspected that many of our lurkers are women. When women, such as Lorinda, do come forward they nearly always deliver a breath of fresh air and broader perspective to topics. So I really do wish more women would become active here.

K. Forman June 15th, 2005 12:41 PM

"BTW, Keith. All my extra stuff is blue. :)"

See? I told you they can coordinate and accessorize better than us ;)

Lorinda Norton June 15th, 2005 12:58 PM

HAHAHA!! Good one, Keith. Oh man, how am I gonna survive next year in Miami with FOUR wiseguys??

K. Forman June 15th, 2005 01:44 PM

Either smiling or screaming :)

Mark Sasahara June 23rd, 2005 06:25 PM

DVInfo Dating forum!!

Hi,

I'm Mark. I'm a New York based DP, I like long walks on the beach and soft light, I'm an Aquarius, I'm a Canon and Panasonic user, I like to cook and prefer Kodak film stocks, I like Electronic Ambient, I drive a Fisher Ten dolly, I don't like the "shakey cam", I have a big camera and lighting package, I prefer Lavalier micing rather than shotgun and I'm a point of light.

I'm looking for a woman with similar lighting and camera sensibilities: natural looking soft lighting with some pools of hard light, or edges 'n' kickers. But she might also like deep dark shots with only small hints of color or light. She likes smooth camera moves, with the occasional lock-off, depending on what the script calls for. She likes long steadicam shots that track forever and she's qualified to do a live tie in.

Jonathan Jones June 23rd, 2005 10:43 PM

clever

Very clever Mark,
I laughed through your whole post and loved it. It is one of the most clever posts I have read in a long time. I guess it's a bummer I'm not a girl though. Well done.
-Jon

Chris Hurd June 23rd, 2005 11:06 PM

I know one of the very few female VariCam owners personally and would love to talk her into posting on our boards here. We could all learn a thing or two from her!

Lorinda Norton June 24th, 2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sasahara
Hi,

I'm Mark. I'm a New York based DP, I like long walks on the beach and soft light, I'm an Aquarius, I'm a Canon and Panasonic user, I like to cook and prefer Kodak film stocks, I like Electronic Ambient, I drive a Fisher Ten dolly, I don't like the "shakey cam", I have a big camera and lighting package, I prefer Lavalier micing rather than shotgun and I'm a point of light.

I'm looking for a woman with similar lighting and camera sensibilities: natural looking soft lighting with some pools of hard light, or edges 'n' kickers. But she might also like deep dark shots with only small hints of color or light. She likes smooth camera moves, with the occasional lock-off, depending on what the script calls for. She likes long steadicam shots that track forever and she's qualified to do a live tie in.

Oh, my!!! That oughta get you some e-mail. But be prepared for one question: After the shoot, do you stick around for post-production?

Chris Hurd June 24th, 2005 09:40 AM

Zing! Score another one for Lorinda there. Whew.

Dennis Wood June 24th, 2005 10:24 AM

I'm just wondering if he uses a cover for his boom mic.

Stephanie Wilson June 24th, 2005 11:55 AM

We're getting alittle off message here, guys......

I happen to be a female videographer and new member to this fabulous board. I worked 11 years as a network news camerawoman along side with 12 guy photogs. I was the only one who ever read a manual and therefore knew more about the equipment than they did.

I think it's more a matter of the number of female camerapeople than whether or not they are interested in boards such as these.

And remember most men don't read instructions or ask for directions.
he he

Stephanie