Starting up in New York. How sweet it is?! :D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Starting up in New York. How sweet it is?! :D

Hello! First I want to thank my fortune that brought me here (or maybe that was google).
Here is my story (hopefully later I can call it "Success story").
10 years ago, while living in my country (Armenia) I was a TV reporter. One day sircumstanses forsed me to take camera in my hands and work in broadcasting field. And I have became a camera man for local TV channel for 2 years. After 2 years I left my country for US and found myself here taking all kinds of different jobs. 8 years passed very quick, and by the time I have turned 30 I realized that there is no way I can continue live the same way. Yes, being a sales man of a popular product in New York is a great way to make living, but it was boring and put me down in depressive mood.
One day I bought a DCR HDD camcorder and started shooting local NYC events.
Started with low, I did some editing and kind of liked the result. Training almost every day, learning and refreshing my skills, I have realized that there is time to step in field as a freelance videographer with minimum of my own gear.
And here I go. My first pro camcorder SONY Z5U, simple tripod and monopod, on-camera light and Final Cut Express. This is today. I do not have job, I haven't make any money yet, and honestly reaching the point where I would find myself in miserable financial situation. But I am full of optimism and positive energy and willing to learn everything from everyone. Currently I continue brushing my knowledge and gaining some marketing skills.

I would really want to hear some pro opinions about this footage. I have shoot those things with consumer camcorder few months ago and edited with cheap software.
YouTube - treeamerica's Channel

Any suggestions will be extremely helpful and appreciated!

I hope to find myself handling bigger and what is most important PAID projects with my new HDV equipment.
Anyway, will keep those who interested updated in this topic.

And good luck to all self starters like me!
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ashh, God knows how bad I wanted to delete this thread right after it's been posted. Even worse few days later, since no one replied...
Anyway, it's been more that a year for now and all I can say to that poor guy from "October 8th, 2009" is that he did the right thing!
I love my job and it keeps coming!
Thanks to fortune, this great resource and all awesome people who I've worked with during the year!
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good on you Alex. You picked a tough economic time to go out on your own and it seems that it turned out OK. I take inspiration from stories like yours.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Alex,

Same, same as Russ mate, good onya and well done.

Al
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Lots of productivity and good luck in 2011!
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Good stuff Alex! Thanks for teaching me never to trust my GPS in New York City. I look forward to working together more in 2011!
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for everything Chad! It was pleasure working with you, such professional, cold-blooded and easy-going person!

Cheers.
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

congratulations on starting out fresh pursuing what you love. so glad it's working out for you! happy holidays!
Cynthia Granville is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood