What do you do for a living? - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #286
Tourist

Hi

I am the Chief Photographer at WVII TV in Bangor Maine.
We shoot panasonic DVCPRO 25 and mini DV. I am not a big fan of the Mini format the tapes dont last the cameras dont take any abuse that a news crew dishes out and menu after menu is cumbersome and annoying. If only my company would let me spend just a bit more and get a camera rigged with a tapeless format my life would so much easier. Till then I will look here for tips and help with my Baby cams.

Are there any other News shooters here? Our issues are quite different then mini docs and production types? If there are enough could we get a topic for us? I admit I havent looked around enough and an area may exist so please dont flame me for a stupid newbie question. LOL :)

Good Shooting
David E Simpson Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #287
Regular Crew

I own and run a small start up production company, Run Jump Fly Productions. .We shoot on 1 fx1 and 1 xl h1. We both shoot edit and manage the company and I have just as of yesterday secured a deal for our movies to be a free download on the iTMS. We make extreme sports films and our focusing at the moment on skiing filming with the best of the British pro skiers.

This has been a huge learning curve for me. I’ve been teaching my self how o edit using final cut pro 5. And when I get back to the UK I will be taking some apple certified courses in London. I got a chance to edit a professional TV show while I was out in the mountains for some friends of our who where left in a huge mess when the production company they had hired to produce the show did a very bad job with the edit and left it in a huge mess when they left for the uk. I mean, there were spelling mistakes all over t he place, 1/2 second cuts.

Anyway, with no knowledge other than what I had picked up in a very short space of time I produced this in 4 days with only about 3 hours sleep in total. click on the video on the left had side to watch it. It’s a TV show called the Verbier Ride. This competition is held in Verbier Switzerland and comprises of a big mountain comp (skiing powder and dropping cliffs, huge cliffs) and a slope style type section (a big 17m tabletop kicker, and a rail jam session).

edit: forgot to say that it will be getting 700 hours of TV world wide.

Anyway, check it out and see what you think. Thanks

www.verbierride.com
www.runjumpfly.net
Charles Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #288
Regular Crew

They call me the president lol
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #289
Outer Circle

I buy lotto tickets - fingers crossed. :-)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #290
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Granovski
I buy lotto tickets - fingers crossed. :-)
i'll join you :)
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #291
Major Player

Hey guys and gals,
I work in the fundraising business. My friends and I do parties as a incentive programs for schools that particpate in the fundraisers. We set up a Velcro wall, obstacle course, moon bounce, joust, and bungee run. All inflatibles powered by blowers. That's my real job, yet it's to good to be true

Monday

Last edited by Monday Isa; April 20th, 2006 at 09:29 PM.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:55 AM   #292
Regular Crew

Hey everyone,

By day, I am a mild mannered System Administrator for EDS (Electronic Data Systems, Ross Perots's old company).

In the evening and on the weekends I am the Director of Worship and Ministry Technolgy for Water's Edge Lutheran Chuch in Frisco, Texas. I record the sermons every week and post them to our website. I also record special events and small group bible studies, that I cut to DVD for the congregation to use in the small groups. My day job is just work and it pays most of the bills. :) The weekend job is the fun one and what consumes most of my home time, which does not always make the wife and kid too happy. :)
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM   #293
Tourist

I'm the System Administrator for our Church and like you Scott I record the weekend services for posting on the net. I only work part time, so I devote the rest of my time to my production company and family.
Mark Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #294
Major Player

Hello,
My name is Mike Schrengohst, CEO of
www.MotionZoneHD.com
I have been in the video industry for over 25 years.
Up to recently I was producing industrial, commercial and corporate programs. I have also been a photographer and have been shooting stock photography for over 30 years.
Mike Schrengohst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 04:59 AM   #295
New Boot

Hello folks!

I'm 23, I live in the Philippines. Right now i do media production for the Department of Health where I make instructionals, documentaries, and cover events using an XL2. My broadcast experience spans a measly three years during which i was an editor, director and a producer as well.

My preoccupation is shooting shorts and doing part-time mtv shoots wherein i accept no payment. It's just something i love.

Now anyone who has money falling out of his/her ass please send me to Tisch because i've been dying to.
[Chuck] XL2 with 20x lens on a Bogen/Manfrotto, PD170 with wide angle always used handheld, VX2000 also handheld, Panasonic Supercam w/ 14x Fujinon on a Cartoni, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Boris Fx, After Effects, 3D Max 7
Chuck Lozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 09:06 AM   #296
Major Player

what I do...

I'm a producer/sound engineer/songwriter/screenwriter and movie director wannabe. Presently I make a living in the music business. I produce all kinds of music ranging from Hip Hop, Rock, Latin...to whatever. Worked as a professional translator and interpreter for a while but it took up too much of the time I could spend learning more about cinematography and honing my skills with the camera and every other aspect of movie making (there's so much to be learned at this point). Anyway, I left the translator job, stuck with my Music Producer/Recording studio business to make a living, and got a JVC HD100 camera and I'm having fun while I learn more and more. Meanwhile, I've also been working on some scripts of my own and hope to start shooting my first movie next year. I hope that by then I'll have my hands on the RED CAMERA. Then the real fun will begin.
Old June 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #297
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Vystrcil
Hey everyone,

By day, I am a mild mannered System Administrator for EDS (Electronic Data Systems, Ross Perots's old company).

:)

Scott my brother is an ex employee of EDS. Anyway, I work for Eastman Chemical Company as an operator. Not the most fun or interesting job but it pays the bills. I got into video when I purchased vegas and got passed that initial learning curve. Did a couple of baseball highlight videos for my two boys teams and they were a big hit. I submitted them for a highlights contest the Texas Rangers were having and both videos won. Prize was 50 tickets for each team to go see the Rangers plus a chance to go to spring training. Actually next weekend we are taking the second to see the Rangers. Well lots of folks started asking me if I was going to be doing the same thing next season and that's when I decided to start my business Dvd Dynamix. Bought me a vx2100 last year and started doing weddings this year but still doing sports videos. It's a very rewarding business if you do a good job. Wish I could do it full time but when you have mouths to feed you must do what you must do. For now I'll keep doing it part time. BTW I live in east Texas (Longview).
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #298
New Boot

Hey.

Im 19 and untill a few months ago i was unemployed and about to get kicked out of my flat. Now i work (9 to 5) as a video editor for a company that produces videos of 'glamour' girls for mobile phones. so far i have been able to go on shoots in thailand, ibiza and prague and work with some very high profile glamour models in the UK. i consider myself a very lucky boy!
Sam Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #299
Tourist

This is a great forum!

Hi All,

I'm in Arizona. This is my first post. I'm "learning by lurking". I'm the retired president of American Cable & Telephone Inc., a firm I created in 1994. In a nutshell, I'm a product of the old Bell System and I speak telephone and computer.

I'm still shopping for my first serious camera. The terminology is new here, but I'm picking it up. My only exposure so far is taking some footage from an old JVC camcorder and running it thru Moviemaker to add flourishes. Nothing very demanding.

I'll probably never see the classifieds because I do not post often....can't learn if you're not listening. I stumbled upon this site by accident. I'm impressed.

Frank Davenpoprt
Frank Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #300
Regular Crew

Like Frank D, I am shopping ... that's a lie, I know what I want ... I am SAVING for my first real camera (XL2).

I'm in my mid 30's and I work for myself. When I decided to finally go to college back in '96, I paid my way through by opening a Tattoo shop in the little town where I attended college. Once I graduated, I sold the shop to my apprentice, moved to a bigger city (Birmingham) and started a new web design and hosting company. Oh, I went to Auburn University and studied Pre-Med with the intention of going to med school .... dang computers pulled me away from that idea.

From 1999 to 2002 I went back to school in Birmingham (UAB and Herzing) and studied Computer Information Systems (waste of a degree and money IMO) and Computer Network Technology (I will never use this degree, but I sure learned heaps!).

The whole time I was back in school I was still running my design and hosting business and really getting into video editing (been using Vegas for several years / versions). More and more clients wanted to put video on their site and it kind of forced me to learn how to edit video ... I have a really bad habit of saying "Sure! I can do that!" then sweating it later as I pack more skill sets into my tiny and over-worked excuse for a brain.

Eventually I bought a little palm-corder (a Canon Elura) just to shoot really simple videos that were just going to end up on the web. Nothing for clients, mind you, just family and fun stuff.

Well, the more I tinker with that little camera, the more interested I become in shooting professional video, perhaps one day for a living. Heck, I've even started to rethink my whole business structure ... to include small business video services. While I don't have any real skill behind a real camera, I do have a TON of editing experience and I have become quite proficient with Vegas and After Effects.

I write music, too, and maybe with a lot of experimenting once I get the new cam and the help of all the kind folks here @ DVi, I can step up to full-time one-man video production.

Sam B ... it certainly DOES sound like you are a very lucky boy. What a great intro to production! ;)
Achtung! Das camera ist nicht fur der fingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und popencorken mit spitzen sparken. Das camera ist diggen by experten only. Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpiken hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
Chris Owen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood