What do you do for a living? - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old November 6th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #451
Major Player

I do pretty much everything non-video related for a living (right now anyways). I have a graphic design business, but have redefined my focus to be large-scale web development and brand identity instead of a one-stop-shop. I do design/brand work for Woodlands Church and Lakewood.

I still do contract photography and videography from time to time, but haven't done (or had time to do) any visual effects or motion graphics in 6 months or so (other than a few personal projects). I'm really trying to focus in on my own filmmaking now where I can tell the stories I want to share, rather than someone else's—although, I have had great fun working with some amazing DP's and other filmmakers out there.

Now I just need to collect a pool of actors in Houston. Then more movie making can begin!
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #452
New Boot

Well, as of right now, unemployed. I work on a grounds crew at a golf course in the Metro Detroit area over the summer, get laid off before thanksgiving, go back around st. pattys day. I honestly love it, and if this whole music video directing thing doesn't pan out as I hope it will, I will be getting a turf degree and digging holes for the rest of my life. Lets hope thats not the case.
Brendan South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #453
New Boot

I manage to stay afloat with a part time bank job; usually work mornings, out by 12pm. I spend the remaining time of the day (pending Miami weather's bipolarity) either steadicam drilling or playing with my new redrock gear... I hope to actually film something soon.
William Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #454
Tourist

Hi

I'm in the Video business for about 20 years now.
Starting as a camera assistant / boomer.
Then i was going to work in several German major TV Stations as a VTR / MCR Operator
In 2008, after some Hedge Found drop in, and taking over my last employer, i decide to going to be a freelancer again. So i grap my well compensation payment and buy myself a XHA1 and a Edius NX Workstation to produce some Webvideos. And yes ! Here is a market for to produce some kind of Imagefilms, Webvideos, Eventfilm...etc with HDV Equipment. But you must have the potential to take some years before you realy can life from that.
Right now i have invest in a second Camera, a JVC GY-HM700 ...

Best regards
Frank
Frank Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #455
Tourist

Currently, as my day job, I work as a computer programmer; more specifically a Web Application Developer. On the side though, I occasionally do some still photography. These are mainly portrait jobs for people I know or who have been recommended to me, and sometimes I sell a print or too of my landscape work.

Perhaps some day I'll be a rich and famous film maker... but alas, for now that vision remains in my dreams.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #456
New Boot

I'm a musician full-time; video has been a hobby for me over the years. I'm interested in making music videos of myself (and possibly others if the projects arise). So video is a means of promotion for me....not a profession. In fact I've never been paid for video, although I've been paid for photography gigs.
Geoff Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #457
Tourist

Because I'm only 16 years old, I'm still in school. I work at a local store in the weekends to make my money. In the near future I want to start making videos for companies, so I'll be able to buy some more professional gear. I am currently saving all my money for an Apple iMac, which will become my editing system.

Greetings,

Kees Braam.
Kees Braam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #458
New Boot

live in Huntingtion Beach Ca

shoot with Sony and Cannon Video Cameras XL2 and a Sony Z1u do mostly live webcasts of surfing events, some skateboarding, and snowboarding...but I mostly shoot speedway Motorcycle racing, 16 races a year at costa mesa speedway and 10 or 2 other races at other tracks...post on the web and on YouTube. Working on a half hour weekly speedway show for local cable and the web. also shoot with the GoPro Helmet Cam

website is xtremespeedwayaction.com
Marcus Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #459
MPS Digital Studios

I have had a lot of jobs since I started on DVi as a member a little over 7 years ago. Back then, I was in Creative Services at WPTV in West Palm Beach, FL; later a film school teacher (Palm Beach Film School), an independent filmmaker and producer, an editor/shooter in corporate video, and a producer/writer/shooter/editor of local commercials.

Well, other than freelance work, I am basically out of the production biz. I am now Senior Writer at TopTenREVIEWS, which covers consumer electronics and consumer software (including easy-to-use apps for photo editing, word processing, etc.). I've been a freelance writer for a lot of companies like VASST, etc., so it's cool to be a full-time writer.

Heath
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #460
New Boot

I design and build creatures in Lightwave for use in (so far) TV movies.
I bought a Super 8 camera back in the 70's to make stopmo animation shorts but
had RL take over for a long time.....darn money and it's being a necessity to pay for rent and food!!
Had injury force a stop to my hard labour lifestlye and got some training in 3D in the late 90's. Have not looked back and now am looking to make some short films of my own. Integrating live action and 3D elements.
Hope you all won't mind a newbie asking what sound like silly questions now and then.
I promise they will only be asked once....I learn quickly.
Greg Charest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #461
MPS Digital Studios

Welcome, Greg! It sounds like you do some incredible work. And ask away--we're here to help.

Heath
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #462
Inner Circle

Second the motion! This is a friendly place
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #463
New Boot

I design and shoot special effects on a Phantom HD camera, I also am currently working on a green screen stock video project with 3 RED One cameras. I have recently taken on some free lance work shooting dance recitals and the like, and would love to get involved with some more live capture stuff.
Jim Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #464
MPS Digital Studios

Jim,

Welcome aboard! What studio are you at? I wonder if you know a couple of people I worked with on a film two years ago in St. Pete/Clearwater/Tampa.

Heath
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #465
MPS Digital Studios

I have a career update: I've left video/TV (and film) production for a bit to focus on my writing. I review consumer electronics and software, plus some pro stuff, over at TopTenREVIEWS as Senior Writer.

South Florida got hit hard by the economic downturn, even as far back as late 2006/early 2007 (when my last directorial effort on a feature took place). I co-produced a film in 2008, then nothing; we lost financing on a comic book film adaptation by late 2008. I found a job as an editor doing corporate video fall 2008 until spring 2009 when the company almost went under. In fact, a lot of my old friends doing straight TV/Video production are out of business or have slowed down to the point of getting full-time jobs for the first time in 20+ years!

I then worked for a company that took over video production for Comcast Spotlight. Most of the hires there were former Comcast employees, but it was crazy how it would go from a team of writers, producers, shooters and editors down to one or two people doing it as one-man-bands. Oh, and they charge a fraction of what costs used to be, just to get customers in the door.

Hate to sound negative, but it's tough in Florida. However, I can see things turning around at some point. I think the Miami Heat moves may drive the economy up, which definitely bleeds over into production.

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood