What do you do for a living? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 6th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #61
Trustee

Dear Doug:

Thanks for the bravery. Attack it aggressively and well. Give us "old timers" something to shoot for. Since I am also using and XL1s, if you need East Coast footage for anything, drop me a line.

My Best to you
Hugh
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 02:07 AM   #62
New Boot

Not too sure what to say here... would love to write a bit about myself (who wouldn't?) but it's doubtful that anyone will read - so I'll just say I'm new. I work in a video store. I'm a film student and a writer. I've had written work published, but nothing filmed as yet (don't actually own a camera; just rent one from time to time). I love to critique things though, so beware of posting work up! :)
Amelie Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #63
Obstreperous Rex

Amelie, we read everything that gets posted here, so feel free to write your biography! Working in a video store is a great way to study films. Welcome aboard,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #64
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Amelie Stein : Not too sure what to say here... would love to write a bit about myself (who wouldn't?) but it's doubtful that anyone will read - so I'll just say I'm new. I work in a video store. I'm a film student and a writer. I've had written work published, but nothing filmed as yet (don't actually own a camera; just rent one from time to time). I love to critique things though, so beware of posting work up! :) -->>>

Amelie,

When I started film school in the fall of 1995 (it was my sophmore year), I was making $5 an hour (and that's after a hefty 75 cent raise) as the head projectionist at a local United Artists movie theatre. It was a cool part-time job, but really paid nothing. After that, I worked at a couple of other movie theatres, then a Mail boxes, Etc.; then a grocery store (in seafood/meat!); then Barbizon Lighting and a movie theatre (I was burnt out doing two jobs and school) and finally a TV station as a news cutter. And I didn't own a camera either, didn't buy my XL-1 until March 1999 to shoot my first movie. And I wrote A LOT, especially when I was working for close to a year in seafood/meat in late 1996 to the fall of 1997. Weird times that produced some of the best material of my life! I've already made two movies from that period and still have another script to produce.

So I can definately relate!

heath
www.mpsdigital.com
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 05:42 PM   #65
New Boot

Hello All,
I'm a Producer/Director at a government station. My job involves writing, shooting, editing and directing. I love doing it all. I just bought a DVX 100 and am looking forward to shooting shorts and documentaries.
Carolyn Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 06:21 PM   #66
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Carolyn Burgess : Hello All,
I'm a Producer/Director at a government station. My job involves writing, shooting, editing and directing. I love doing it all. I just bought a DVX 100 and am looking forward to shooting shorts and documentaries. -->>>

At channel 20? I work at Channel 5 in promotions! That's cool! Glad to know someone's on the board in WPB (I live down in old folksville, Boynton Beach, near glorius "Leisureville").

Sounds like you do some cool stuff there.

heath
www.mpsdigital.com
Old June 15th, 2003, 06:44 PM   #67
New Boot

Yes, Channel 20. I worked at Channel 5 when I first moved to West Palm Beach in 1983.

We do a lot of local production at Channel 20, some interesting, some boring (government meetings), but it pays the bills.
Old June 15th, 2003, 07:34 PM   #68
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Carolyn Burgess : Yes, Channel 20. I worked at Channel 5 when I first moved to West Palm Beach in 1983.

We do a lot of local production at Channel 20, some interesting, some boring (government meetings), but it pays the bills. -->>>

I started at 5 in 1997, left in 1999, and came back in late 2000 (long story). It's cool, the new building rocks (that old one sucked).

You may have worked with Todd Kolich who now heads Ko-Mar Productions, located in Channel 5. Nice people, Ko-Mar.

heath
Old June 15th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #69
New Boot

I remember Todd, didn't really know him.

The old building is just a figment of everyone's imagination now. I toured the new building with Bernadette. Nice! They had been planning to build a new building even before I worked there.

I also edit on FCP 1.2 on a laptop. Never upgraded, basically for the same reason that you have. I'm planning to buy FCP 4 in the next 2 months, along with a dual processor Mac. I edit on Avid at work, but I'm drawn to the fact that FCP is upgradable. Is 5 actually thinking of editing on FCP?
Old June 15th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #70
MPS Digital Studios

I upgrade too much, but haven't gotten 4 yet.

Bernadette is my boss; they finally finished that condo where our crummy building used to be. Nice.

We've been on FCP since March of last year. As soon as I heard we were dumping our old NLE for FCP, I emailed Apple. We now have a great relationship with Apple and their peeps from FCP. We started out with two (now three) systems in creative services and one for news. Graphics has four machines. Last Dec. we bought 10-12 FCP systems along with Omneon throughputs (we'll be the first in the world to use that set up, if we can install everything), but nothing is in yet, just in boxes. That's because of our $7 million HD tower, now up and running (located off 441 and Lantana--it's a real eyesore...You'll see channel 12's, then ours--biggest one, and finally 29 in the back; 25's is up north).

We better take this conversation to email, so we don't waste space for others! :-) I'll be back in town tomorrow (2 week non-stop editing stint in L.A.--now I wanna move out here! Though I'm dead tired), so send along any emails! heath@mpsdigital.com

heath
www.mpsdigital.com

<<<-- Originally posted by Carolyn Burgess : I remember Todd, didn't really know him.

The old building is just a figment of everyone's imagination now. I toured the new building with Bernadette. Nice! They had been planning to build a new building even before I worked there.

I also edit on FCP 1.2 on a laptop. Never upgraded, basically for the same reason that you have. I'm planning to buy FCP 4 in the next 2 months, along with a dual processor Mac. I edit on Avid at work, but I'm drawn to the fact that FCP is upgradable. Is 5 actually thinking of editing on FCP? -->>>
Old July 1st, 2003, 02:30 PM   #71
Regular Crew

nothing...

or, films.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:33 AM   #72
New Boot

On the fence

Hi everyone, first post.

I've been working with video since 1999, which I made my first student feature film in college, and have since done a few shorts and another feature. Last summer, I decided to wander into videography as a trade part time, doing three or four weddings. At the end of the year, I even tried putting together a tv show with a friend, some general interest news magazine but that got dropped because the local station here would not sponsor us and we had to get our own money from our own advertising.

Anyway, I was surprised this year because I got a lot more weddings, and I still haven't really advertised. I simply registered at WEDJ.com, which is a really good site to spend money only, and I had about 6 weddings this year.

This is my dilemna. I've having my first baby boy this September, and I'm thinking of doing the videography thing full time, but I don't know if I'll be able to support a family with it. It'll be a second income, but I'm simply not certain if I should quit my full time job to do that. The benefits would be that I'm doing something related to my B.A. (Independent Moviemaking) and I could spend more time with my wife and son, downside is the money thing. Anyone here does it for a living full time? I would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Nicky
http://shootingstarsstudios.tripod.com
Nicky Loi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 06:33 PM   #73
Regular Crew

do it;)
Old July 3rd, 2003, 07:20 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Well being a high school student I get a lot of opportunities to learn the art of video and everything connected to video. Now I work on the technical staff at our school dealing with sound mostly and every once-in-a-while something new and different. Its a great feeling when a school trusts you not only with thousands of dollars worth of equipment, but to also trusts us in putting on professional productions for those that rent us out. Although I cant see myself working in a theater all my life (I find I like video more), working in the auditorium allows me to continually learn in a stressful environment. And it’s also nice that my boss came from working at a local TV station so he can be a vital asset when I need some assistance. Oh and some may wonder why I put "job" in quotation marks. It is because I have never considered this a job because I have way too much fun to me working....I consider it playing on some really cool stuff.

Brian
Brian Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #75
New Boot

Nicky,

You ARE working in your field. You're shooting wedding video, telling the story of a couple's special day and editing that video. You must be doing a good job because you are constantly getting more customers. Enjoy what you're doing. I'm willing to bet that many of the folks that were in your class can not say that they're working in their field.

You are about to be presented with the most important job of you life, being a father. You must think about the well being of that precious baby. Keep your full time job. Keep the medical benefits that come with that job. Contrary to what you stated about spending more time with your wife and child, starting a new business will keep you away from them more. Think about it, you'll have to hit the streets to find more and more business to sustain your family. And when you're not out looking for more work, you're doing the shooting and editing.

Take time to build your customer base, maybe do some other kinds of videos (special interest, event, etc.). Maybe even think about doing that tv show and think about what sponsors would be interested in putting their name on your show.

Just DON'T give up your full time job just yet.
Carolyn Burgess is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood