What do you do for a living? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 12th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #91
Regular Crew

ah ok
what kind of camera do you use?
im just starting out so im trying to learn as much as i can
my email is bkatran@cox.net
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #92
Trustee

I do video, shoot stills and provide other audiovisual services. My work is mostly corporate, some sports/action and the occasional broadcast shoot.

I have been freelancing since 1987, that means I am one of the lucky ones that is able to earn a living doing what many of you here would like to do. It also means that shooting is a business for me, I must work or I do not have an income. My work has been exciting, fulfilling and downright exciting at times. It has also been incredibly difficult at times. I am not one of the lucky ones that paid his dues once and never had to look back. For me, freelancing has been as much of an education in business as it has been in creating images. The freedom, the travel, all of benefits of my own company are things I will never give up. To not give them up I have to fight to keep things rolling when things are not right ie: 911, slow economy, the loss of a major client ect. The rewards are great, but I would never sugar coat it here with so many of you wanting to take the leap. I have had many successes and some painful learning experiences. After reading this thread I had the thought that I could possibly be more beneficial in this community by discussing business instead of the technical stuff. It IS a great way to earn a living.

I too, come here for inspiration, the enthusiasm here is infectious.

A few days ago I posted a more detailed explanation of what my company does in this forum. The thread is here in introduce yourself – “Phoenix, Steve & The Corporate Show”.

Steve
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:02 AM   #93
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Alan Tran : ah ok
what kind of camera do you use?
im just starting out so im trying to learn as much as i can
my email is bkatran@cox.net -->>>

Alan I'm using a Canon XL1s
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 05:10 AM   #94
Regular Crew

In short, I'm Jeff and I'm a full time child and family therapist in private practice. Decided to start shooting wedding, really just shooting as a way to be creative rather than be, at times, assailed by the great tragedies of modern families. So far, it's been a god send. Did my first wedding (free) and it turned out pretty darn good.

Have 4 more scheduled in the next 12 months. Am currently working on a 30 min. special for distribution to schools. It's a musical for TV on childhood Anger, Depression and Anxiety. Kind of like the "Wiggles" meet the "Power Rangers". Lots of fun.
Jeff Natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 05:53 AM   #95
Regular Crew

I'm a Senior Project Manager in the Interactive Voice Response industry. Manage projects througout Europe, Middle East and Africa.

Sorry it's not exciting.
Lloyd Roseblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #96
Regular Crew

I am a victoria secrets catalog model

and freelance gun-for-hire.

when I am not redesigning blighted cutural trends or disposing of outmoded cliches...

anorexia has made being a filmmaker much easier. Bulemia's not the same; you still have to buy food.
Old September 15th, 2003, 03:35 AM   #97
Major Player

* * CHEERS California * *

Kat,

I hope to see some of your work soon. I'm on a 56k dial-up at the moment so watching some of your shorts is out for the moment.

Add me to your email list and keep me informed of your endeavors.

I am very interested in the silent genere. As I considering going MOS with a project I have on simmer. Probably, 16mm.

Cheers!

Derrick
dpb@dpbegin.com
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #98
Regular Crew

shooting MOS for sound?

Derrick,

Thanks for your comments. I actually don't have a mailing list because I have a hard enough time with a phonebook...

- you are "thinking of shooting MOS" I'm not certain what you mean...Shooting MOS to punch in ADR in POST?

Or are you shooting a non-speaking film? If so, please remember that Silent films are not really silent. They are accompanied by music. Sound is as much a consideration....and takes more planning if you are going to shoot MOS, if you plan to then layer a soundtrack that sounds "Natural"..

Actually, I have seen a truly silent film...but technically, it was Avant-garde; and I started humming nervously...

and one of these days I'll get off my ass and stream the shorts. I'll post a notice here when I do...
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #99
Regular Crew

yep you are right.

Did you think I was asking a question?

I was responding to the post before mine regarding.. well you can read.
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #100
Major Player

A tongue in cheek thang.

Actually, it would have sound (added in post - - foley effects, music, if needed.) It would be a minimalistic experiment to tell a story without spoken dialogue.

Never silent... Though it could be quite S. Beckett like. Existential.

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #101
Regular Crew

Derrick. Foley is Fun.

Now that I LOVE!

Do it do it! You will have so much fun! Especially when you "get into" the fact that all sound is Dialogue!

and given your description, you have a a chance to do non-diagetic sound...great for irony, or any other layering of meaning...

If you are going whole hog and want an avant-garde composer/musicians let me know. that's where I have connections aplenty.

AND Tell me when it's done. If it rocks, I want to know about it for for an eventual New Silent film fest...to be held in conjunction with the Venice Silent Film fest...hopefully across the street where I can thumb my nose at them!
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:37 PM   #102
Regular Crew

san diego's fashion valley's newest apple store employee
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #103
Regular Crew

Network guy

I'm a Network guy at a major computer company. I have been lucky enough though to be able to use my office as setting for one of my movies. In December I'll be shooting another one and I'm also planning to do it there. I purchased my XL1 about two years ago, and I think it's (DV) one of the best inventions since the coming of sound. As we make the craft better and with communities like this who knows where we are going to end up some day. I'm sure It will be a great place

Good Luck!!!

Alain
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #104
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Alan Tran : san diego's fashion valley's newest apple store employee -->>>

Sweet! Share the employee discount?
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #105
Tourist

Looking for a new career in DV

Hello my fellow DV friends :-)
I come from a whole different line of work a long haul truck driver but we all have to to do something
to contribute to the world in which we live so that was me before a bad fall off off my tanker trailer almost two years ago, any way looking for a new life in DV. I was thinking about doing weddings , some virtual walk throughs of houses on the market and doing some Video tape to DVD conversions or any thing to make a buck. My problem is I have a very limited amount of funds to work with, I just built a pc with enough processing power to handle the task at hand and ready to take on a 3ghz cpu when needed but currently researching what would be the best camcorder for the job /money I'm looking at the Panisonic DV 953 or the Canon optura xi should I be looking at others like the X1? Anyone thats done this kind of thing before I would apprecite all input on this subject like pricing, software to use, best burners for DVD Etc.........

Thanks in advance John

Bob Burns
"Remember... life is not measured by the number of
breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!"

John Wilke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood