DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Do regulars read this subforum? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/471282-do-regulars-read-subforum.html)

Ed Eckels January 19th, 2010 06:54 AM

Do regulars read this subforum?

I see many new people introducing themselves (including me) and little or no feedback from the regulars. What gives?

Chris Hurd January 19th, 2010 07:37 AM

Obviously we need a greeter.

Lorinda Norton January 19th, 2010 08:30 AM

I used to try to come here and say hi to folks in a way that would feel personal to them, but a huge percentage of the time no one bothered to stop back in. I figured if I was a WalMart greeter and had that effect on people I'd get fired. Guess I'm too much of a conversationalist for "rejection" like that. :) On the other hand, I suppose a standard greeting is better than nothing.

Denis Danatzko January 20th, 2010 11:01 AM

Welcome, Ed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Eckels (Post 1474311)
I see many new people introducing themselves (including me) and little or no feedback from the regulars. What gives?

Speaking for myself, I sometimes provide feedback to "newcomers", but I just realized it's usually to folks from my state. (I guess I have you to thank for that realization). I don't mean to come across as narrow-minded or discourteous, but I'll venture a guess that relationships here are likely to be more strongly built through the other forum topics, e.g. asking questions, providing answers, or relating the benefit of one's knowledge/experience.

You'll find this a great resource, with participants not only helpful and civil, but generally very polite, too. Many will take great lengths to help others, or provide different perspectives to discussion topics. (Chris does a great job of "keeping us on track/in line", too. Participating here is like "being a guest" in Chris' house; he's very open-minded and tolerant, but it IS his site, and he has to both "maintain" his "house" and do so while protecting his reputation).

Keep coming back; search previous threads for answers to questions; when you log-in, read the items under "New Posts" to get a sense of recent topics/questions/problems others are having and sharing; do some research before posing questions that have already been answered; all will give you a sense of how this community helps - and in some sense competes with - and among - itself.
Welcome, and enjoy the journey.

Trond Saetre March 2nd, 2010 04:51 AM

I think I stop by and read this subforum a lot more than I write in here.
But sometimes I write welcome greetings too.

Kelly Langerak March 2nd, 2010 11:05 PM

Don't worry. This isn't the best way to make friends in this forum. Start showing your face in 2 or 3 sections and you will meet people in your area.

I only read this when I see post like this at the top, but try to see if anyone is a local here and there!

Welcome from San Francisco

Colin McDonald March 3rd, 2010 01:46 AM

I try to keep and eye out for folks from the UK and direct them to the large thread that's been going for some time now http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-pe...d-kingdom.html

I'm fairly new here myself and it's a kind of self appointed task but I hope it has made a few newcomers feel welcome. Nobody asked me to do and one person suggested I stop!

James Strange March 3rd, 2010 11:14 AM

I check it every now and then, I actually posted on the Scottish thread over xmas to see what everyone was up to as I had some free time, and gear just sitting in the cupboard, but alas, don't think anybody checked it.

I think the Local threads is a good idea, I subssribe to shooting people, but that seems very London centric, I'd love for there to be a Scottish thread that was checked regularly by the rest of us Scots, there could be one for North of England, one for Midlands, one for south etc...

As there are a good few times when it would be handy to be able to contact people who have camera (and more importantly, know how to use it) that are only an hour or 2 from me, and vice versa.

I know there is the 'helping hands section', but I don't think thats regualry looked at either.

To Colin, keep up the work on th UK thread!

Colin McDonald March 3rd, 2010 11:44 AM

Sorry, James, I missed your December post. I wasn't doing very much either.

Shaun Roemich March 3rd, 2010 12:20 PM

I'm guilty of being jaded. I'll surely welcome folks who post in the subforums I frequent/troll who have low thread counts (sounds like cheap sheets...) and recent join dates but I guess I have seen a bunch of people who post here and maybe once again and disappear. Perhaps they are just lurking or they didn't feel welcomed. My bad. When able, perhaps I'll spend more time HERE as well...

Oh, and WELCOME to the best video resource on the Interwebs!