Hi from The Netherlands at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 27th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hi from The Netherlands

Hi everyone,

My name is Thijo van Beek, 55 years old (or young) and since only a few years I am a free-lance cameraman.
I live in Nieuw-Vennep in Haarlemmermeer, a part in the west of the country .

I have been a truck driver for over 30 years, but not in heart.
In 2004 I had two strokes in a week, and was not allowed to drive a truck no more.
My strokes didn't give me too many problems after a year, thank God!
I had to stay home and watch TV for the rest of my live.

That is not my idea of living, so I realized this was my chance to do what I always dreamed of: making films.

I worked on that 24/7 almost.
Did some courses, spended a lot of money, took every change to learn as much as possible,
as soon as possible.

Now since December I finally have my own very (!) small business: Red Baron Media.
The sad part is two weeks later my wife, who was excited as I was, suddenly died, two days before Christmas.
I haven't touched a camera for a few months, until a great chance came up, she also would have been sooooooo proud of.
I was asked to do the camerawork for a film about useless violence, people killing each other
just because they don’t like the face or so.

After that film some more work came up, and I am happy to do what I’m doing.
Still I don’t make big money, but life looks great again, although missing my Bettie still is a pain.

I would love to get in contact with people in filmmaking around the world, professionals or not.

I have a Sony HVR V1 and a Sony HVR S270 at this moment.
And lots of other equipment, like a 4 mtr crane, and a 9 mtr trackdolly (since yesterday)

Hope to hear from you guys! ( and girls of course!)

Thijo van Beek

Last edited by Thijo van Beek; January 27th, 2010 at 06:26 AM. Reason: bad English
Thijo van Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hello Thijo,

My deep sympathy in the loss of your wife. You have been through a lot of upheaval and sorrow in a short amount of time.

But your attitude is wonderful. You're going to do some great things! Congratulations on making a film that not only would have made your Bettie proud but sounds like it could help others.

Looking forward to hearing about more projects from you.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hallo Thijo,

Greetings from a fellow Dutchman. Had a look at your website and must say that you have a professional approach. I too have always dreamed of making films. From back when I was 13 and got a GAF 64 XL super 8 camera (I am looking at 47 at this time).

Apart from the artistic approach (which is most important in my point of view) I also always have liked the technical side. At the age of 17 I filmed with a synchronized Uher Report recorder (wonderful machine by the way). I skipped the start of the video era because it was such a giant step backward. Now I have been filming (serious) video for a couple of years.

Maybe we could do a project together sometime (like having a go at the DV Challenge).

See you around.

Mario
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood