DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Just quit my job in Charlotte, NC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/473322-just-quit-my-job-charlotte-nc.html)

John Carroll February 21st, 2010 02:54 PM

Just quit my job in Charlotte, NC

Hi everybody...glad I found you!
I just entered a new, exciting, terrifying chapter in my life.
I have been in "the business" since 1987. Worked primarily in the film industry running the camera dept for a rental house in Charlotte, NC. Maintained a line of Arriflex film cameras 16mm and 35mm as well as a few Ikegami video cameras. Worked on countless commercials etc as a camera assistant for about 18 years then suddenly took a corporate job producing training videos (huge switch). This was a one person operation so I produced the job from start to finish. Writing, shooting (stills and video), animation, compositing, voice-over, editing...well, you get the idea...
Recently an opportunity to start my own company presented itself in the form of starting out with 2 regular clients...sort of the holy grail of owning a production company. I'm at the age where if I don't do it now I should probably just forget about it, so I went for it (I'm 42...)
This Friday is my last day as a full time employee. My company has been super supportive and agreed to continue to use me as a contractor on an ongoing basis...
I purchased a pretty great little camera package (HPX-170 with tripod, mics etc...) and a Mac Pro with FCS. I already have a PC system with Adobed Production Premium, so I have enough "stuff" to be dangerous.
It's a scary proposition for me but it is really great to know that there is a community out there like this with so many willing to help/share. I've read a good bit of most of the most recent posts and I really like the vibe of this place so far!
I'll offer help wherever I can as well.
So...Hello everyone!

Mike Brice February 21st, 2010 03:11 PM

Good luck and keep that positive attitude!

Jerry Porter February 21st, 2010 05:17 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck from Raleigh.

Jerry Porter February 21st, 2010 05:19 PM

BTW if you need any VO help just let me know I'm the Dale Jarrett voice you hear all the time in Charlotte.

John Carroll February 22nd, 2010 10:51 AM

Are you referring to the Dale Jarrett Ford dealership commercials?
Good to know...nice work too BYW

David Barnett February 22nd, 2010 10:52 AM

Good luck to you. It sounds like a risk worth taking. Nice to have the cushion of a few clients to hold on to.

David Clark February 23rd, 2010 01:39 AM

Yes, good luck to you. I quit my day job in '02. It was a little scary. I was going to do all weddings. After a month or two I picked up on some corporate work and my work flow changed for the better. I still do miss a solid weekly paycheck and the group insurance though, but you can't have your cake... If I had it to do over again, I would.

You will always remember your first morning!

Tony Davies-Patrick February 23rd, 2010 05:23 AM

Welcome aboard, John, and good luck in your new quest. It is always far better to live your dream than simply wishing that dreams come true... :)

Rob Morse February 23rd, 2010 12:51 PM

Good luck. Look me up if you ever need another camera or some editing help with all the new work you're going to have.

John Carroll February 23rd, 2010 02:18 PM

I see needing extra camera/shooter quite a bit Rob, what's your background?
Perhaps PM would be more appropriate...

Jerry Porter February 23rd, 2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Carroll (Post 1489361)
Are you referring to the Dale Jarrett Ford dealership commercials?
Good to know...nice work too BYW

yep that's me. I'm just the voice on those and have no input on the video. Maybe I can help you nail down some of that type of video work local to you. Shoot me a PM with you demo and I can send it to a few people.

Rob Morse February 24th, 2010 09:54 AM

John, I dropped you an e-mail.

John Carroll February 24th, 2010 02:05 PM

Thanks guys!
Got both your messages and plan to contact you both on Monday. Furiously trying to wrap up things here on my last few days at the moment...

Talk to you soon!
Thanks