High School Film Student in Ohio (AATCE) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Tourist

High School Film Student in Ohio (AATCE)

What's up? My name is Collin, and I'm a high school film student in northeast Ohio. I'm currently in the process of training for Apple certification in Final Cut Pro 7. I have the absolutely unbelievable opportunity to do this at my high school, an AATCe, being taught by Mr. Steven Pustay, my amazing instructor for the last two years and for next year. In our film program, we have a plethora of filmmaking opportunity that isn't found at the high school level virtually anywhere else. I personally have only two years experience in filmmaking, and all educationally, not professionally. I've contributed only to school-related endeavors, though one involved the direction of filming a middle school talent show that went nearly two hours with a three-shot, then capturing, editing, and building the final DVD all by my own work. Mr. Pustay of course aided me with explaining what needed to be done (i.e. creating a multicam edit, healing peaking sound levels, and helping with the persistent capture issues that plagued me). I don't have much else to my resume at this point, other than a certification I'm making sure I do everything to get in the near future.

I do have a question, along with my introduction. Where here on the site would best go to find the best recommendations for Canon EOS 7D equipment? I did begin to search through the 7D forum, but I would just like to make sure I'm looking into the right places. Thanks!
Collin Mikeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Welcome aboard and yes the 7D forum is the right place. Lots of info there. What are you looking for specifically?
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Tourist

My teacher actually recommended to our class that we go check DVInfo out, as he is an avid user for learning about new equipment and techniques for his wedding video business he does alongside his teaching job. I have only scraped the surfaces of the forums, but it truly is amazing all the free information offered here.

As for what equipment I'm looking for, it sort of an interesting case.

My best friend, who was in our video program as well, was hospitalized a few months back after the worsening of a serious heart condition he had been living with and the development of two more life-threating conditions as a result. Each condition individually qualified him for Make A Wish, and after being reviewed was accept as a prime candidate to receive a Wish from the foundation. Tomorrow, he is being presented with an opportunity to essentially build a dream one-man film kit. He has already put together a list of what he has decided to get, which include a Macbook pro outfitted with Final Cut Studio, and a Canon 7D. I'm going up to the hospital with him tonight, and we are going to hammer out the rest of the list. I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations for stabilization rigs, lens systems, compact tripods, etc. that he should include. Price is not a concern for him, but knowing the products work and work well is. Thank you very much for anything you can help to recommend for him.
Collin Mikeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend I hope they get better so they can enjoi there new equipment.
Matt McMeans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood