Hi from Chicago at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Hi from Chicago

Hello!

Name is Nick Catalano and I'm a 23 y.o. student and political junkie originally from Milwaukee living in Chicago and going to Loyola mostly part-time studying political science with a minor in CS.

I've always been a huge fan of video production (from both a technical and planning side) but never really decided to "jump in" until I started doing some more intense work with the school's MiniDV equipment (not just quick edits in iMovie) and found working with some of the more specific features in these cameras to challenging and a lot of fun and something I would want to take into other aspects of my life (mostly new-media for political campaigns, which I am doing some work on this summer)

For a camera I have a AG-HMC150 'set' I got on eBay for what I thought was a somewhat reasonable price ($3350 shipped UPS.) Then I bought Barry's HMC150 book (which should be required reading with this camera.) For audio I got a Shure SM93 from B&H along with a few extra clips and a few XLR cables.

Not sure what I am going to do about a tripod yet. School uses the HDV501 heads and the guy I purchased my camera from included one of those in my purchase (w/no shoe unfortunately) so I need to either get a new package of sticks/bag/head or just the sticks and bags. Not a big fan of the 501HDV and neither are a lot of people on here so I'll be sure to ask for opinions on that (plus the Bodgen/Manfrotto setups are insanely heavy when you are trying to move around)

Also looking for a good (reasonably inexpensive) wireless microphone. The Shure mic is absolutely stunning in quality but many times a pain when you are out and about and just need that quick interview.

I'm a Final Cut Studio 3 user on my 15" MacBook Pro and am trying to learn everything I can about that software suite and making my footage look good. The people at the Chicago flagship Apple store have been extremely helpful in explaining the features adding on to the work I have done in my intro classes at school.

Don't know that I am keeping the AG-HMC150 all year (may resell it after I am done with this election cycle, if it wasn't for the 12 minute restriction I would have gotten a 5/7D... if I need to cover a speech of some kind I'm SOL)

Sorry for such a long post. Hopefully I don't ask too many odd and/or obvious questions that I may have missed while searching or just not looking hard enough and hopefully I am of some help or am otherwise useful in discussions on the forums.
Nick Catalano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood