Hello from the Swiss Alps, Switzerland, Martigny at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old May 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Tourist

Hello from the Swiss Alps, Switzerland, Martigny

Hi, Just joined, or rather, just making my first post.

What I am doing here is hoping to find like minded souls and searching (six years now) for the right equipment to do what I want to do. If money were no object I expect that would be no problem.
What I want to do is as shown here:
in daylight
YouTube - Caterham R500gt Mont Ventoux Part 2 Renard to Summit
in failing light
YouTube - Caterham R500gt 2/2 Beaufort to Les Saises France Part 2 from the junction
and in no light
just kidding :-)

Listen to three seconds of that second one and you will hear the sound issues.
Light is less of an issue as I reckon any decent gear will gradually solve that.

Anyway, this is just a brief hello while I find my feet in here so I hope this post is not too far off the appropriate mark.

I am an accountant by trade here: UK Expat international tax - life abroad , but my passion is in this video idea which I have followed for six years now and still struggling to get anything beyond what only my mother would be proud of. Frankly I wish I had studied film and sound and not tax! I was a taxi driver once, perhaps it confused me :-)

Anthony age 53 3/4
Anthony Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

depends the camera used (a GoPro ?), but this is sound clipping, no solution except lowering the input.
(you can add adhesive tape and foam on the mic is it is not possible to set the level).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Gruezi, Bonjour, and welcome to DV Info. As you can see above, there are members in Switzerland and someone like me who travels there every 6 months (I have a daughter in Zug). Feel free to post your questions and you'll get answers.
The best thing I can suggest is to get a few good books on production, lighting, and cinematography. Lighting, sound, and composition are the main things that you need to know and are the main things people mess up. Look at classic paintings.....the lighting, the shading...also, notice lighting around you and the mood it puts you in. Watching movies, seeing how they lit a scene....all will help you think differently when its time to shoot......And, you live in SWITZERLAND! its a peice of art just walking out your door. I'll never forget the first time I walked out of Bahnof Luzern and walked to the lake's edge and looked south...my jaw dropped and I smiled, realizing that I'd seen it before...every major painter has painted that scene...as well as many other places that I came across in Schweiz.......

Tschuss,

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Welcome aboard, Anthony!
BTW: yes, that's exactly what the canton of Valais/Wallis badly needed:
one more Fendant-powered nutcase... :-)

All the best

Vasco
(Swiss expat)
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Anthony

Have you tried the Col de la Colombiere, which is part of the Route des Grand Alpes? It's really popular with classic cars and bikes, but gets a little busy during the height of the summer. It's a nice round trip from Geneva too.

Your sound is definitely overloading. Are you using a bullet camera or just mounting a regular video cam to the car? If it's the latter, then most won't deal with this kind of extreme sound. Another option is to record sound on a recorder from the back of the car and then sync up afterwards.
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #6
Major Player

speed sequences

Hey Anthony,
I've got plenty of equipment to help you out with your speed sequences.

I used to be a big classic car fan - president of the local AC club for a while. now filmmaking sucks up my time & money ;-)

just pm me and stop by
This could be fun, I'm part-time in the Lake Geneva area.

cheers

Claude

Last edited by Claude Mangold; September 17th, 2010 at 04:00 AM. Reason: typo
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood