Hello from the Gold Coast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 5th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hello from the Gold Coast

Been reading the boards for about a year now but have only recently registered and tonight I've decided I want to contribute to the forum that as helped me allot.

I'm 22 and have been working in the broadcast industry for the last 3 years professionally. I got knocked back from one of the networks here in Australia and have decided to further my study and set up my own business freelancing.

Primarily I'm interested in the TV/event broadcast medium but will look at short films later this year hopefully.

My Kit:

NX5U
Dv20 Miller tripod
Sennheiser wireless system x 2
NTG2
(Currently in the stage of acquiring lighting, external recorders and field mixers)

Looking forward to this community :)
Matt Shefford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

G'day Matt!

Im in Echuca... only about 2000Km to the south of you... :)

Congrats on the decision to go freelance. Most news bureaus have an externsive network of stringers.
The big thing any news station wants is the ability for you to get vision back to them - quickly.

I suggest you download either filezilla or coreftp (client versions) and install this on your system, as you can then FTP -or file transfer protocol the stuff down the copper pipe.

Pick your favourite news station, local and national - preferably the one running second in the regional ratings and offer them your services on an exclusive basis. Then tell them that you have the gear and can FTP the stuff back to them. Then talk to their engineering dept, so they can tell you what file format -MPG2 or H264 etc - they need and at what bitrate so the files will slot into their vision stream without difficulty.

Once the CoS knows s/he has a "cammo" on the ground in your area, they can use you to get the money shots before they can have a crew on scene to do the pickups.

Next thing is to approach the local fire brigade and find out from them if they do a Media Fire Safety course, and then get accreditation... Most of the overnight stuff will involve the fire brigades, and if they know you have the training they require to keep yourself safe, they will welcome you at the fire ground.

Likewise intro yourself to the local plods, so they know who you are and what you are doing should they meet you at a scene. Oh... and get a reflective safety vest and have the word MEDIA embroidered on the back.

All the best!
Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Trustee

Hey Matt,

I'm also based on the Gold Coast doing weddings, events and surf videos. Which university are you studying at and what course are you taking?

Good luck with going solo!

Cheers,
John
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey John

I've actually already had a class with you Music Vid/Debra's class. I worked on the Titans doco with 2 other friends.

If I'm right your the guy with the FX1000? How'd you go with your surf film @ the film fest?
Matt Shefford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:00 AM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

Matt,

Even better, let them know that you have one of these. :-)

Junk the Satellite Truck: Here's the World's First Mobile H.264 Video Encoder

They can have you stream h264 video to them live if need be, and it's not too expensive at all. That should get you standing out above the crowd.

BTW, when you buy one I'll be your newest best friend in Brisbane. :-P

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood