Hello from Melbourne Australia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 9th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #1
New Boot

Hello from Melbourne Australia

Hello all, I'm Peter from Melbourne Australia. I have just bought a Canon XH A1 which is proving to be a steep learning curve. I had no idea until I read the manual of the daunting amount of settings this camera is capable of. My Last real camera was a Hitachi 3 Tube Broadcast camera. So I dropped out of Video production just as the digital age was upon us. Now that I'm resuming video production I love all the new 'toys' available and how easy it is to work with. I found that the ease of production allows much more room for creativity because we are no longer bound by technical time consuming issues as before. Nevertheless there are issues and much to learn, hence my appearance here. I look forward to reading much more of what seems to be a great forum here and maybe even get to know a few people around me locally in Melbourne.I was a member of the Australian Video Producers Association, ( if any locals happen to know it ) here in Melbourne which was a great association for support within the industry. Thank you for this opportunity and look forward to interacting within the forum.

Last edited by Peter Anastasopoulos; June 9th, 2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: renamed the title
Peter Anastasopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Peter................

Good to have you on board.

Great dinky di Oz surname there mate (relax, I grew up in Hobart in the 50's and 60's, just about all my class mates [and friends] were Greeks, Italians, Sicilians, Hungarians, Poms, Swedes, Germans, Slovakians yada yada yada - I was Canadian!).

"Reason: renamed the title" - man, you've gotta tell me how to do that. I haven't figured out how in 3 years!

Enjoy the show!.

CS

PS:

Oh, love the city BTW. If I hadn't forsworn cities as "uneccessary assets", I'd give it serious consideration for a temporary roost, but, alas, nearly 30 years of London has me all "citied out".

Quite comfortable down here in the boonies, unless you take the bloody winters into consideration.

Hmm, Matt, you got me to thinking, the Gold Coast is looking pretty damn good about now..............., got a mate in Coffs Harbour, might have to take a 6 week "business trip" to "check it out", strange, just like I did last winter and the one before.......................... (does wonders for the expenses!)

Last edited by Chris Soucy; June 10th, 2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Why not?
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Welcome Peter,

Nice to see another Aussie here, I'm new too see you around
Matt Shefford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Major Player

here's the EDIT.....

Hi Peter and welcome, thank god you've not got a surname like Smith, I'd have trouble pronouncing that...... :)

Pay no attention to Mr Soucy, having been relegated to the Eastern Islands off the mainland he's prone to senseless rambling about mindless subjects that only those that speak 'Kiwi' understand......... :)

Al

Last edited by Alan Melville; June 11th, 2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: All the others did it......
Alan Melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #5
AVPA

Hi Peter,

Welcome :) The AVPA is still around and kicking - you may want to consider re-joining and guess what, we have our own section of this forum...how revolutionary is that? LOL

Last edited by Rochelle Morris; June 14th, 2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling is a myth
Rochelle Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Tourist

George Mavroyeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Anastasopoulos View Post
Hello all, I'm Peter from Melbourne Australia. I have just bought a Canon XH A1 which is proving to be a steep learning curve. I had no idea until I read the manual of the daunting amount of settings this camera is capable of. My Last real camera was a Hitachi 3 Tube Broadcast camera. So I dropped out of Video production just as the digital age was upon us. Now that I'm resuming video production I love all the new 'toys' available and how easy it is to work with. I found that the ease of production allows much more room for creativity because we are no longer bound by technical time consuming issues as before. Nevertheless there are issues and much to learn, hence my appearance here. I look forward to reading much more of what seems to be a great forum here and maybe even get to know a few people around me locally in Melbourne.I was a member of the Australian Video Producers Association, ( if any locals happen to know it ) here in Melbourne which was a great association for support within the industry. Thank you for this opportunity and look forward to interacting within the forum.
Hi Peter, My name is George Mavroyeni. I am in Melbourne Australia also. Yes this camera does have a lot of settings but it really is easy to use and produces great images. The lens is fantastic and if you are used to broadcast camera's you will find it intuitive. On the negative side.
1. The factory setting, the camera has a pink cast to the image which can be corrected.
2. It can exhibit motion blur at shutter 50
3. Noisy on gain 12db

If you need further info you can call me on 0409 141 998
Regards George
George Mavroyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #7
AVPA

And our next Melbourne meeting is coming up with Peter Corbett from Powerhouse Studios, talking about his corporate shoot with DSLRs - you may wish to pop down and catch the talk.
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #8
New Boot

My Partner is a Taswedgian Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Good to have you on board.

Great dinky di Oz surname there mate (relax, I grew up in Hobart in the 50's and 60's, just about all my class mates [and friends] were Greeks, Italians, Sicilians, Hungarians, Poms, Swedes, Germans, Slovakians yada yada yada - I was Canadian!).

"Reason: renamed the title" - man, you've gotta tell me how to do that. I haven't figured out how in 3 years!

Enjoy the show!.

CS

PS:

Oh, love the city BTW. If I hadn't forsworn cities as "uneccessary assets", I'd give it serious consideration for a temporary roost, but, alas, nearly 30 years of London has me all "citied out".

Quite comfortable down here in the boonies, unless you take the bloody winters into consideration.

Hmm, Matt, you got me to thinking, the Gold Coast is looking pretty damn good about now..............., got a mate in Coffs Harbour, might have to take a 6 week "business trip" to "check it out", strange, just like I did last winter and the one before.......................... (does wonders for the expenses!)
Lol Hi Chris, small world mate, my lady is a Taswedgian with the same upbringing as yourself, I'm Aussie with olive origins Kalamata (greece), but Michelle cooks greek better than my mother does, now that's talent and a hell of alot of luck for me lol lol Good to meet you Chris.
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #9
New Boot

Ty for your greeting George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mavroyeni View Post
Hi Peter, My name is George Mavroyeni. I am in Melbourne Australia also. Yes this camera does have a lot of settings but it really is easy to use and produces great images. The lens is fantastic and if you are used to broadcast camera's you will find it intuitive. On the negative side.
1. The factory setting, the camera has a pink cast to the image which can be corrected.
2. It can exhibit motion blur at shutter 50
3. Noisy on gain 12db

If you need further info you can call me on 0409 141 998
Regards George
HI Gorge, ty so much for your offer I will most certainly be giving you a bell, at least to say hi and ty again for your welcome. Yes it is a great camera, but seriously I'm blown away with the number of options. I have so many questions that I'm not going to over whelm anyone right now, I'll go through them in order of importance for production purposes. On the flip side, I'm going to absolutely love the cine 'look' options I now have. The other mind blowing options of editing software is fantastic, I'm like a kid again with a new toy learning all over again ( It's been a few years) . That springs to mind a whole new area and myriad of questions, again for another day. Thanks for your advice and greeting George.
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #10
New Boot

Hi Matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shefford View Post
Welcome Peter,

Nice to see another Aussie here, I'm new too see you around
Hi Matt, my sentiments are the same, it's great to see a few Aussies in here, let alone a few close by. Look forward to interacting with you Matt.
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #11
New Boot

HI Alan, I understand. lol lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Melville View Post
Hi Peter and welcome, thank god you've not got a surname like Smith, I'd have trouble pronouncing that...... :)

Pay no attention to Mr Soucy, having been relegated to the Eastern Islands off the mainland he's prone to senseless rambling about mindless subjects that only those that speak 'Kiwi' understand......... :)

Al
How do you do Alan, it's funny that I can relate to Chris's upbringing because of my partners childhood, such a small world, but Chris does sound like a funny bugger though, I'm sure he would be a funny man with a few beers in him at the pub on a friday night mate. My name, well if you didn't let the length intimidate you it's actually quit easy to pronounce, but most people panic first trying, lol lol and thanks so much for your greeting Alan.
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #12
New Boot

Rochelle Rochelle, look what's happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle Morris View Post
And our next Melbourne meeting is coming up with Peter Corbett from Powerhouse Studios, talking about his corporate shoot with DSLRs - you may wish to pop down and catch the talk.
Rochelle Rochelle, look what's happened. Let alone not knowing if the AVPA is still going or not, it seems to have thrived rather well from our earliest modest beginnings here in Melbourne. Well, your one person I'm definitely going to wait to here from, please email me any time you can spare a few minutes, (that goes for anyone else as well guys). Thank you for that insight and I will forward to further communication.
Peter Anastasopoulos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood