New Houston member at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 21st, 2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Houston member

Hi everybody.

I've been a lurker for a while now. I was a click through from the XL1 watchdog. I don't know what prompted me to finally register, but here I am. :)

I started out as a photographer in high school. Then I studied RTF at the University of Houston. After graduating, I went into a ramp traffic controller career at Bush Intercontinental Airport. My health began to go South from all of the stress and strange working hours so I quit. I used the money I had made to purchase my start up equipment.

My setup these days is as follows:

1 Panasonic DVX100 for shooting dramatic works
1 Sony PD150 - I had actually bought this while in college. It's my old faithful
1 Sony PD100A - My "stunt" cam because it's small and relatively cheap compared to the others. It took a fall a while back and now the audio skips horribly. I'm looking for a place in Houston to fix it.
2 Canon XL1 - For having matching cameras at live events

Then I have all of the usual shotguns/lavs, tripods, etc.

I edit on a dual Xeon Adobe Premiere based comp. I grew up on Photoshop and Illustrator so the transition to Premiere was natural. However, I'm very interested in trying out Vegas which lots of people on here speak so highly about. I also threw in an RTX.10. That was a mistake. I'm going to pull it and go with an RTX.100 eventually.

I mostly do corporate work, although I've only have had two gigs so far. I used to shoot weddings and quincenearas in college. I'll do those again. But since officially starting up (in May of 05), I haven't had any takers (lack of demo reel and stuff).

I've also been competing in a few of those guerrilla film competitions. I came back from an Austin one last month and this weekend will be a Houston one.

I'm going to continue to troll the board, except now I'm a registered member. :) I'm relatively new to the field so there is just way too much I still need to learn.

Thanks for reading!

I forgot. I'm still a photographer. I use a Canon EOS-10D for that.

Last edited by Fresnel Phan; July 21st, 2005 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Forgot about my camera
Fresnel Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM   #2
New Boot

what's up man? I'm in Friendswood. There's quite a few other guys from H-Town as well posting on here. There was talk in another thread of a possible meet one night also.

I would like to get involved in weddings too but I need to get some more equitment before I can take that seriously. I've read that getting in touch with wedding planners is a good opportunity to find clients.
Old July 21st, 2005, 04:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

we most deffinitley need to have that setx meet and greet soooooon....
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yup, I'm real busy at work right now but hoping that within the next couple of months we can set up a SE / Central TX DVinfo meet-n-greet. Welcome to our friendly bunch of folks!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Major Player

new to the forums

Hello folks,

I've been practicing video for the past 18 months doing a wedding, promotional piece for local private school and televised interview. I too, would like to meet more locals interested in video production.

I use Sony PD170, Premiere Pro, sennheiser wireless...I also have a Canon GL2 for sale and it is listd in DVINFO classified section. When I don't have a shoot, I'm available to assist others.
Bill Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

welcome aboard Bill, maybe we'll meet soon at the get-together that is in the works...
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:44 PM   #7
Slash Rules!

I might be the other Houston guy he's talking about. Welcome.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #8
New Boot

Rockport Texas (near Corpus Christi)

Hey guys :) My name is Jeff Jassky. I'm pretty new to the boards, so I thought I'd say hey. I'm out of Rockport Texas (near Corpus Christi). I'd love to do a meet-and-greet at some point with you guys sometime around late september. Right now I'm in Minnesota. I should be moving down to our place in Texas around mid-late sept.

I would consider myself an advanced-novice to professional videography/film work. I currently own a canon XL1 and some equippment for that, as well as some digital SLR still camera equippment. I should soon be upgrading to a newer Panasonic HD 24P camera and a guerilla 35, or micro35 adaptor when I get the dough.

This fall/winter I'm looking to hook up with an experienced, or even not-so experienced film maker to possibly help out with a film and learn more about this profession/hobby. I was hoping on possibly working on a short film with some other film enthusiast friends of mine in the texas area. We haven't done any work on it yet to speak of, so I don't know if that will solidify.

Anyway, You guys wll probobly be seeing me on here more. I look forward to hearing from everyone!

-Jeff
Jeff Jassky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #9
New Boot

Houston is the new Hollywood!
Old August 2nd, 2005, 04:01 PM   #10
Major Player

I could hit Houston Mediasource with a rock from where I live. Right on Alabama next to Highway 59. I've got quite a few friends in the video production field. We're all guerillas, though. Except for my friend's dad who has over 30 years experience in broadcast and what not.

I don't do weddings because being married was the worst thing that ever happened to me.

We mostly film concerts and performance art although I have done work on short films.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood