DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   G'day (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/487688-gday.html)

Aaron Christiansen November 18th, 2010 04:20 PM

G'day

Another Melbournite from Australia - seems to be a trend in this forum!

My primary passion is cycling - I train, race road and track (and MTB next year, probably), as well as coach a few cyclists and am looking at making it my business in the future.

I took up photography a few years ago as a hobby, starting with a Konica Minolta 5D, and a couple of inexpensive lenses. Spent a summer photographing a local crit in Melbourne, refining my panning technique with up to 700 shots a night.

I now have Sony A700 and A850, and most recent lens purchases were Sony 70-400 G and 70-200/2.8 G. The photography is great for learning composition basics, and also showed me that when it's a passion, there's little point in messing about with cheap gear you will want to upgrade later.

To that end, I have invested (hah!) in the following kit:
* Sony HXR-NX5U + 128GB flash unit
* Vinten Vision Blue tripod (great review here + Vinten website intro video had me sold)
* VZ-rock LANC control

Still waiting for Adorama to pull their finger out and send me the final order of:
* Sony HVL-LBPA LED Battery Video Light System
* Porta brace body armor
* Tiffen UV filter

Hopefully picking up a Lowepro Magnum DV 4000 on the weekend to store everything in.

I'll also be looking at getting some lapel mics, but that can wait...

My video goals include:
* track racing technique capture and analysis (esp standing starts & sprint entries)
* bike/rider positional analysis (esp TT aero position)
* coaching session "explanation" videos
* bike race promos
* (possibly) race finish capture - to help separate 1st from 5th in tight bunch finishes
* general race filming (track more than anything)
* race team / club promos
* interviews / documentary with some of the incredibly interesting people I have met through cycling or life in general
* family time (I'm an uncle and my nieces & nephew are soooo cute!)
* short film production (as a creative outlet)

Most of these are doable right off the bat, and provide ample opportunity to learn - something I relish. I'm very keen to continue developing and integrate the still photography also, for artistic effect or impact.

I'll be looking for threads on videography basics first up, looking to learn through doing, which is my preferred style of learning. Hope to contribute down the track, good to see challenges and comps here, as I find that definitely helps motivate me to produce something and push the boundaries.

Will also try to do future B&H purchases via forum links to help out there where I can ;-)

Metro track champs are this weekend, so I'll be doing my first video shoot there, Saturday afternoon. Excited like a kitten with a bit of string, I am! :-D

Chris Soucy November 18th, 2010 04:30 PM

Welcome, Aaron...........

Good to have you on DVinfo.

Wow, that's quite a CV & intro.

What is it about Melbourne? At this rate we'll have the entire population here!

Glad you liked the review.

Enjoy.

CS

Ralph Gereg November 18th, 2010 04:58 PM

Welcome

Welcome to the club! Being fairly new myself (well maybe not so much new) but I primarily read many great comments made by some very professional and friendly people on this site.... I always learn something new on DVInfo and try to put my 2 cents in where I can...

Glad to see that you are into bicycling, I also enjoy biking and am hoping to do some MTB riding next year as well.... need to get a MTB bike first I guess? lol

Anyway, welcome greetings from across the pond in sunny Florida!

Helen Oster November 19th, 2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Christiansen (Post 1589456)
....Still waiting for Adorama to pull their finger out and send me the final order of:
* Sony HVL-LBPA LED Battery Video Light System
* Porta brace body armor
* Tiffen UV filter

I was concerned to read your posting, as all orders for new, in-stock items are shipped from Adorama the day they are ordered, right up to 6:00pm ET Monday-Thursday, and up to 1:00 pm ET on Friday (provided there are no ID verification issues).

If you would like to email me directly with your order number I will be very happy to check into this for you: HelenO@adorama.com

Aaron Christiansen November 19th, 2010 12:50 PM

Thanks Helen.

I thought there was stock when I ordered those bits and pieces, but apparently not - hence the delay. It's been shipped now, so should be here next week. I received instructions on how to cancel the order, or the item, but was not confident it would work.

I also notice you cannot send PMs on this forum, or is there a link / button I am missing? Have emailed Adorama a number of times and not received one response, hence the frustration evident in the wording of my post above.

Helen Oster November 21st, 2010 02:03 AM

Aaron

Apologies; I turn off PMs on all forums I'm a member of for two reasons: there's no way of setting an out-of-office reply, which is problematic if I'm away from my desk; I can keep a closer eye on my emails and give better service to customers (I receive 200 -300 per day plus I'm a member on several hundred forums) if I keep all correspondence in one place.

I'm concerned that you didn't receive any response from our CS department; if you could forward me the email(s) you sent I'd welcome the opportunity to look into this - and you are always most welcome to email me directly: HelenO@adorama.com

Helen Oster November 21st, 2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Christiansen (Post 1589716)
Thanks Helen.

I thought there was stock when I ordered those bits and pieces, but apparently not - hence the delay. It's been shipped now, so should be here next week. I received instructions on how to cancel the order, or the item, but was not confident it would work.

Up-date; it seems that your order actually shipped on Thursday 18th November.