Greetings and a question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 8th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Greetings and a question

Hey all;

I found this site last night and "Wow!" what a wealth of information you guys have going on here. I have been researching some gear for a project that I have comming up and stumbled across this site by accident, and I'm happy to have found it.

Quick introduction: I'm 37, married, one daughter. We live in Southwest Louisiana (waves at all the Cajuns). I am part owner of our family's plumbing contracting business (I'm the 3rd generation) and my wife works for the federal goverment.

I had a small video production business (weddings, local events, depositions, etc.) about 10 years ago, before I went full time in the plumbing business. I haven't done much serious camera work in several years. Mostly I'm the offical video guy at family events with my Sony Digital 8 Handycam and I also help run a camera at church a couple times a month. I've also done some work with a couple outdoor TV shows. About 6 years ago, I was 2nd camera on location in Mexico for a DVD produced by a duck call manufacturer. I got to use a Canon XL1 on that shoot, which has been my only experience with a camera of that type.

I am looking for some advice and hope y'all could help me out a little. A local guide service is looking at putting together a DVD featuring their waterfowl hunts in Argentina next summer. I know these guys very well and would like to shoot and edit this DVD for them. I am confident in my ability to do this job for them, but I am a little behind the curve with all the digital equiptment these days.

I guess, for starters, I'm looking into getting a new camera. It would need to be something relatively easy to use, not basic, but not too difficult to set up either. I would need something that could take a little banging around, a little dirt and can hold up well being outdoors all the time. It would need to preform well in low light conditions. And, it would also need to be light weight and good at "point and shoot". If you've ever videoed ducks comming into the decoys, you know what I'm talking about. I'm looking for good video and audio quality, similar to what the XL1 has. I would be useing wireless mics and/or a shotgun mic.

I've considered the XL1, since I have some experience with it. The GL2 and Sony PD 170 also caught my eye. But, since I'm new to these cameras and their capabilites, I'm asking you guys for advice.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kyle
Kyle McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Dear Kyle,

As Chris Hurd and the wranglers will probably advise, (when they wake up) is to do a search of this site. It is the most effective way to get hundreds of answers to your question.

There's just a ton of valuable info to be found here.

Post again if you need help navigating the site. Everyone will help you.

Good luck,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #3
Wrangler

Welcome Kyle! I think we'll need to know what your budget is before making too many recommendations. Also, this isn't really the correct forum to discuss the merits of different cameras, it's more about just introducing yourself :-)

Why not post your question in our Open DV forum and let us know the upper and lower limits of your budget?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=35

As you ponder this, remember that the camera is only part of the equation. You may not need a tripod, lights or audio gear for this sort of work, but will want extra batteries, a good camera case, maybe a telephoto lens, probably some other things. Is your computer up to editing video? How about software? Do you have enough disk space?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the replys guys.

Good idea Boyd. I'll let this thread die out and I'll post something in the Open DV forum in a few days. I'm still learning my way around here =)

Kyle
Kyle McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hello and welcome Kyle. You might want to contact fellow DV-INFO member Torrey Harris. He has done a lot of outdoor hunting video in a variety of conditions. He recommended the camera cover that I reviewed here on the XL-2 Watchdog articles page.

Torrey is also located in Louisiana and may be able to be of direct help to you in your purchasing decisions.

Good Luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood