DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Goin to Las Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/49086-goin-las-vegas.html)

Joe Carney August 9th, 2005 04:11 PM

Goin to Las Vegas

I'll be in Vegas starting tomorrow through the weekend. Any one from there want to hook up? I should be free in the evenings.

Chris Hurd August 9th, 2005 07:53 PM

Joe, are you there for the WEVA Expo? I had wanted to go but couldn't make it.

Joe Carney August 10th, 2005 07:10 PM

No, but I'm staying at the Hilton where the WEVA expo is going on.

I'm here for ............

The Official Star Trek convention running through sunday.

It's my first ever.
Already ran into a few 'characters', looks like it's going to be fun.
(And no I don't have a uniform or anything like that).

Rik Sanchez August 10th, 2005 07:21 PM

I'd take Star Trek over WEVA any day. I dragged my wife there to the Star Trek attraction at the Hilton a few years ago, still have the photo of us with
taken with the Ferengi. BTW, Gene Roddenberry was a Texan, was born in my hometown of El Paso, saw an article about him in the El Paso newspaper when I went back one time when they had a Star Trek convention in EL Paso.

Lorinda Norton August 10th, 2005 07:23 PM

Did someone say Star Trek?

LOL! Joe, you and I have waaaay too much in common! :) That sounds like it'll be pretty entertaining (and I'm relieved that you don't have a uniform or Klingon outfit).

Don't suppose you'll be heading north to visit the relatives, will you? If so, let me know and I'll buy ya something cool to drink.

Have a great time (you will--resistance is futile), live long and prosper, make it so, and all that good Trek stuff. :)

Chris Hurd August 10th, 2005 08:02 PM

I'm a huge fan of The Original Series... that is, the five or six episodes that were worth watching (just kidding, I liked all of TOS, even the bad ones). I've seen that whole thing at the Hilton, very impressive, must be Horta heaven for Trekkers.

Lorinda Norton August 10th, 2005 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
must be Horta heaven for Trekkers.

Funny, yet a bit unsettling that I knew what you were talking about. ;)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...TDevilDark.jpg

Chris Hurd August 11th, 2005 12:50 AM

Hey, you've gotta love a 60,000 year old solitary egg-laying rock-dweller, even if she is stuck all the way the heck out there on Janus VI.

Lorinda Norton August 11th, 2005 01:18 AM

Dang! You'd be a hit at ST conventions! (I oughta know--I've been to one.) I was more into the laugh-out-loud dialogue, though. My son and I entertain each other with well-placed quotes now and then.

Maybe Joe can bring you back one of those eggs.

Joe Carney August 11th, 2005 09:37 AM

Rick, I've already met people from Australia and Europe. Apparently, if you're going to go to only one Trek Convention, this is the one (so I've been told about a dozen times, hehe). Just about all the folks connected with all the series are here, from all the Captains down to the occasional guest star. The only one who didn't make it is Jonathon Frakes because of a film commitment in South Africa I heard. Even Shatner is here this year. If they have Horta eggs for sale, I'll get one and send it to Chris. (boy, talk about brown nosing...).

Lorinda, I'm thinking about a diversion trip, I'll let you know.

I like all the series, but for the record I liked DS9 the best. I bought a ticket to get Avery Brooks autograph. Hopefully I'll get to meet others from the cast, especially Colm Meany though I like them all.

Joe Carney August 11th, 2005 08:41 PM

Little update here.
Finally met Chase Masterson at one of the autograph tables. She's even better looking in person than in her photos. Convention not as big as I thought it would be, anime/comiccons are far larger and have more going on. Not complaining though.

Joe Carney August 13th, 2005 07:46 PM

Surprising info since I've been here. Lots and lots of attractive seemingly normal women are huge fans of Star Trek. Denise Crosbys 2 docs didn't mention that little tid bit (she showed weirdos and freaks, not the normal intelligent people who make up the majority of people who come here). I would say women are at least 50% of the total attending, including lots of mothers and daughters here to see Kate Mulgrew. So much for that 18 to 49 male demographic.

I do have an autographed photo of an Orion Slave girl if anyone is interested (If I bring that one home, my wife will NOT be happy).

One last thing....
For those of you who like Avery Brooks (Captain Sisco on DS9), he is currently rehearsing a play at the shakespeare theater in Washington DC. If you're down in that area (very close to China town) don't be surprised if you see him.