DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hi from Sydney (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/495698-hi-sydney.html)

Rob Gage May 10th, 2011 01:18 AM

Hi from Sydney

This seems like a good place to be. Normally I would just lurk on the fringes for a long while but what the heck I may as well jump in and introduce myself. I have been interested in still photography for most of my life, but that doesn’t mean that I am expert, just passionate about wanting to capture the moment in the best possible way. I have a Nikon D90 still camera. I have just entered into the video world because of a couple of projects that I want to do (Bucket List stuff I think). One project that I want to do is record a series of training videos for students who are studying on-line. They can’t get to a classroom so I want to record a series of short videos of trainers and experts as they deliver or explain a concept. Short videos of no more than 5 mins each. This will require indoor set ups and I have a lot to learn before I start. The other project is completely different. I want to record the family history by way of storytelling. As a family elder I think that I have a responsibility to pass on some of the history of where my grandkids came from. With the deaths of a couple of senior family members over the past few years I have “inherited” lots of paperwork on our ancestry going back to convict days and even earlier. I think that video would be a good medium to capture and tell the family history, what’s more I think that it is the media of choice of the grand kids. I don’t intend it to be a chore as I want to record the history by riding my motorcycle around to the places where our ancestors came from i.e. the goldfields in NSW and rural centres in the Hunter and New England regions. It should be fun.
I purchased a Sony FX7 on ebay a few weeks ago and I have the Adobe Master Collection CS4 loaded on my PC. Now all I need to do is learn how to use the Sony and the Adobe editing software. There seems to be some good tutorials available for Premier Pro so that’s where I am going to start.
Anyway it was probably a long winded introduction but Hi to all and I hope to learn from being part of this forum.

Chris Soucy May 10th, 2011 01:43 AM

Re: Hi from Sydney

Hi, Rob............

Seems like you have your hands full with that lot.

Best of luck to you mate, and welcome to DVinfo.

It's a great place and an incredible resource for information, and no bu**shit allowed, which makes it even better, plus every post is peer reviewed, what more could you ask for?

Enjoy and welcome.

CS

Rob Gage May 26th, 2011 06:06 AM

Re: Hi from Sydney

Thanks for the welcome. I don't want to let this become a project that consumes me. I want to scale it up from a simple intro with storytelling, then go on the road on my bike and capture the feel of some of the places where my ancestors lived and worked e.g. the goldfields in the 1860s and farming communities in the late 1800s. It should be the sort of project that I can build slowly. What’s more it is not a paid job so I do not have the pressures of deadlines. I will begin some of the indoors stuff in about a month and get on my bike when Spring comes. It should be fun....I hope