DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Visitin NYC in Jan, looking for suggestions of places to visit for nice pics :) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/502762-visitin-nyc-jan-looking-suggestions-places-visit-nice-pics.html)

James Strange November 16th, 2011 08:51 PM

Visitin NYC in Jan, looking for suggestions of places to visit for nice pics :)

Hi all,

I'm off to NYC for the first week in Jan,

I've been twice before so I've done all the usual tourist things (Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Empire State, Rockerfeller etc..)

I thought I'd post here to see if any New Yorkers (or visitors thereof) can suggest any good places to go that aren't any of the obvious ? I'll be bringing my trusty 550d / t2i (leaving the big boys at home) so looking forward to taking lots of pics/vids

Thanks in advance

James

ps, I've obviously got a trip planned to B&H, not sure what I'll get, but that place is awesome!

Nothing like it in Scotland (probably nothing like it in whole of UK!)

Steve Game November 17th, 2011 03:24 AM

Re: Visitin NYC in Jan, looking for suggestions of places to visit for nice pics :)

Hi James,

Was in NYC last April/May. Not sure if they run in January, but the round the island boat ride is good value and lasts nearly 3 hours. Mind you, NY in January makes Glasgow feel positively tropical, so you would need serious clothing to keep warm on the boat.
Spring Street shopping on Sunday was a bit touristy, but the avenue markets are more interesting to me, (I went to a Saturday one on Lex - around 60th St., where they were selling the best popcorn I've ever had!)
If you like buildings, Grand Central is a must and there are great street scenes all over, particularly with the steam heating system leaking at every corner. Unlike the UK, New Yorkers seem to accept cameras as part of the city life.

Steve

James Strange November 17th, 2011 08:58 AM

Re: Visitin NYC in Jan, looking for suggestions of places to visit for nice pics :)

Cheers Steve, the round the island boat ride sounds good, not done that before

Adam Gold November 17th, 2011 12:38 PM

Without a doubt, B&H.

James Strange November 17th, 2011 03:08 PM

The first time I was In NYC, I made a flying visit to B&H (not knowing what to expect)

When I got there..... WOW!

The 2nd time we were in NYC for an extended layover, my wife and I got up early, left the hotel at 9am, she went to 5th Avenue, I went to B&H, 4 hours later we met up, both with lots of bags (I lied about how much I spent, as I'm sure she did also) :)

Steve Nunez November 17th, 2011 04:26 PM

Native NY'er here, my suggestions are as follows:
Bronx Zoo (bring some long glass if possible)
NY Botanical Gardens (across the road from Bx Zoo) Macro Lens Paradise!!!!!!!
Cloisters Park (North NYC-Manhattan- nice views)
Central Park (of course)
South Street Seaport (downtown NYC-especially beautiful at night)
Coney Island Brooklyn
Freedom Towers (very touristy at the moment- big crowds)
Greenwich Village (downtown NYC- happening even at 3AM!!!- all stores open!!)
Rockerfeller Center-Mid-Town NYC
Washington Square Park-NYC (its in every movie- cool little park with trendy atmosphere)
............there are others that I'm not thinking of- but these should keep you busy for awhile.

Tony Waree November 17th, 2011 05:08 PM

Angeleno here (I'm from Los Angeles), but was in NYC two months ago. If you're at B&H which is at 34th & 9th, walk over to 30th & 10th and take a stroll on The High Line. It's a former elevated rail line converted to a linear park in the Meatpacking District. Really good opprtunity for pictures. I shot some 3D videos with the Sony HDR-TD10.

James Strange November 18th, 2011 10:04 AM

Cheers guys, those are exactly the kind of things i'm looking for as I've done all the big obvious stuff

Thanks again!

James

Ned Soltz November 18th, 2011 01:47 PM

Ride the Staten Island Ferry (free) and grab some great shots from the boat.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Then to the promenade along Brooklyn Hts. Great photos of lower Manhattan.

Take one of the passenger ferries across the Hudson River to NJ. Shoot skyline at night from NJ side.

Walk along the Highline.

Watch your back in Times Square. Lots of push and grabs of gear.

Grand Central Station.

Street scenes in Chinatown.

I'll think of more

Ned Soltz