returning to the biz after a long long time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #1
New Boot

returning to the biz after a long long time

hi folks,

i just joined DVINFO because i need your smarts. i'm very rusty!

back in the 70's i was a working film-maker, but after moving to an extremely remote location and rural lifestyle, i had to give it up.

40 years later, things have really changed - with all the new digital gear, software and display possibilities, last year i took a chance to get back into video productions, by accepting a contract to make a short "film". in fact, i just posted the completed video for viewing in DVINFO's "Show Your Work" forum: "http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-you...ml#post1757294"

i'm excited to know there's a place i can lurk around, studing the things i need to understand.

-eric of Wild Dog Studios
Eric Sines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: returning to the biz after a long long time

Hi, Eric............. and welcome.

Great video, only watched about a minute, as there seemed to be a streaming problem, which was driving me nuts.

I take it you're no "spring chicken" (just like me) and I can assure you the camera supports haven't got much lighter.

Anything in particular you want to absorb?

Having said that, you have an entire library of Q & A's at you finger tips, so, you may never need to ask a question, as it's already asked and answered.

Use that Google search till your fingers bleed, amazing what it can trawl up.

Can't find it, 'fess up and ask, we're collectively here, just find the right forum, it makes it so much simpler.

Enjoy your travels here.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #3
Trustee

Note: I goofed up. Made a reply but it went to the "Show Your Work" forum instead. Sooo... I copied and pasted here where it belongs.

Hi Eric,

Hey, that was a very nice introduction. Really enjoyed the film, er.... video!

It has been a terrible summer with all the forest fires throughout the west, from Colorado to California and here in Washington it has been smoke, smoke, smoke for the past couple months. Is there anyone who is sill saying the climate isn't changing? We haven't had any rain for three months and back in 1986 we had mesurable precip every single day of July. The parking lot where I worked was green. Now the local bays have red tides that kill off a number of species.

The evening news on Channel 5 had a short about the large return of Salmon, which is true, but probably due to the removal of a major dam. One local stream here in Poulsbo has gone from a fish count of 125 to zero in the space of about 10 years. Seems Poulsbo City Council approved a shopping center and that development put in a culvert that dumps into the North Fork of Johnson Creek. The city planner signed off on the project with "no significant impact" or words to that effect, whatever it is they do, and now look what we have, or maybe don't have.

Thanks to Channel 5 NBC, though, everybody hears something good but nobody hears the bad.

The same Poulsbo City Council approved a trails plan - trails are good, right? - not so fast! The plan they approved has all the trails going through wetlands, along the shorelines, and through riparian zones, the worst possible place to put them. These are prime wildlife habitat areas! "But people want to look at the wildlife!" they said. Unfortunately, they don't get it.

We need more videos like the one you produced - have one for rivers and streams. Have one for wildlife habitat areas like wetlands, streams, shorelines, and riparian areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sines View Post
back in the 70's i was a working film-maker, but after moving to an extremely remote location and rural lifestyle, i had to give it up.

40 years later, things have really changed - with all the new digital gear, software and display possibilities, last year i took a chance to get back into video productions, by accepting a contract to make a short "film". in fact, i just posted the completed video for viewing in DVINFO's.....
Yes, a lot has changed! Not only has the video medium changed from plastic to digital, but the skirts have got much longer. :- (

Comment for Chris: Years ago I hitch-hiked through Dunedin, down to Invercargill, and up to Queenstown and over Haast Pass. The blokes who gave me a ride over to Greymouth (sp?) were a couple and the husband had a PhD in Biology. It was very interesting as he explained about the "fern trees" (don't remember their exact name). They looked very primeval and I think they are related to ferns - but really huge! Like palm trees. They were really awesome.

Also, I was able to hitch-hike across Cook Strait from Picton to Wellington on a new (wood) sailboat the skipper was building and it wasn't totally finished yet. The skipper took me on as crew because I had good sailing experience and because all his crew (blokes?) spent several hours in the local Pub drinking flagons before we cast off from the dock for Wellington. They were really not very fit to crew! What a ride, though!

Got a FREE rental car from Wellington to Auckland and drove it all the way to the northern tip of North Island.

This was a long time ago. Those were the days. What a great, great time!
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #4
New Boot

Re: returning to the biz...

Quote:

Hi, Eric............. and welcome.

Great video, only watched about a minute, as there seemed to be a streaming problem, which was driving me nuts.

I take it you're no "spring chicken" (just like me) and I can assure you the camera supports haven't got much lighter.

Anything in particular you want to absorb?

Having said that, you have an entire library of Q & A's at you finger tips, so, you may never need to ask a question, as it's already asked and answered.

Use that Google search till your fingers bleed, amazing what it can trawl up.

Can't find it, 'fess up and ask, we're collectively here, just find the right forum, it makes it so much simpler.

Enjoy your travels here.

chris: thnx for the invite and for the suggestions!

i wonder why that vimeo link is having problems. if anyone else is seeing that too, please let me know. then i'll try to figure out what i did wrong. and if anyone has suggestions to what i should different, please feel free to speak up.

i'm googling till my brain reels and learning new things daily. at 60 it isn't as easy as it once was, but i'm slowly getting it.

at this point in time i don't have any specific questions. i've picked up a training vid on FCPX and focusing on that for now. so much to learn....

Quote:

Hey, that was a very nice introduction. Really enjoyed the film, er.... video!

It has been a terrible summer with all the forest fires throughout the west, from Colorado to California and here in Washington it has been smoke, smoke, smoke for the past couple months. Is there anyone who is sill saying the climate isn't changing? We haven't had any rain for three months and back in 1986 we had mesurable precip every single day of July. The parking lot where I worked was green. Now the local bays have red tides that kill off a number of species.

The evening news on Channel 5 had a short about the large return of Salmon, which is true, but probably due to the removal of a major dam. One local stream here in Poulsbo has gone from a fish count of 125 to zero in the space of about 10 years. Seems Poulsbo City Council approved a shopping center and that development put in a culvert that dumps into the North Fork of Johnson Creek. The city planner signed off on the project with "no significant impact" or words to that effect, whatever it is they do, and now look what we have, or maybe don't have.

Thanks to Channel 5 NBC, though, everybody hears something good but nobody hears the bad.

The same Poulsbo City Council approved a trails plan - trails are good, right? - not so fast! The plan they approved has all the trails going through wetlands, along the shorelines, and through riparian zones, the worst possible place to put them. These are prime wildlife habitat areas! "But people want to look at the wildlife!" they said. Unfortunately, they don't get it.

We need more videos like the one you produced - have one for rivers and streams. Have one for wildlife habitat areas like wetlands, streams, shorelines, and riparian areas.

john: thank you for your very kind words. that was quite nice of you.

and as you stated, things are very dry here in eastern Oregon too.

and seems my next video project will fit right in: it's about the need for individuals to protect their rural homes from wildfire. the project was just given the go-ahead and we're having our first script meeting next week. most of the shooting will be done next summer....

and your suggestion about doing other vids is greatly appreicated too. we're currently in talks with a regional livestock-grower organization to discuss a video about their plight, and also in talks with a watershed organzation for a vid about stream health and riparian zones.

our goal is to be able to inform the viewer about each subject, without pointing fingers or using "fear" tactics. we want to engage the viewer, entertaining and educating them at the same time. this is appearently why folks are showing interest in our style.

if everyone we're in communication with hires us (my wife is the writer and media person), we may have more work than we can handle :-)
Eric Sines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Story telling hasn't changed a lot since the 70s...but it has changed. My recommendation for the fastest way forward on certain topics, is to either look at the video links at Lynda.com (it's been worth it to me to pay a monthly fee to have my choice of a bunch of training), but there are tons of freebies out there too. You can count on Lynda to have some more organized training by professional trainers.

Probably the use of LEDs for lighting is a big change for you. They offer wonderful portable daylight balance. Worth the money. (Anyone want to buy a used Lowell hot light kit?)

The workflow has changed so much. Now I own more storage than IBM sold in the 70s. (G). And making sure you get that footage copied and out of your workspace is critical. A break in or fire could take out year's of effort.

Enjoy it. I get down that way occasionally, love central and eastern Oregon. Have been trying to get down to Malheur for months now, and did get to Bend last summer. A friend works down there in the hospital, so I have an excuse, as if I needed one. If you get to the Olympic Peninsula, give a holler.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #6
New Boot

hey al, thank you for your insightful comments.

Lynda is a great idea. i had forgotten about them (i used them a few years back to learn Dreamweaver for producing websites). will do that.

LED are a fine idea. last i worked in this field it was hot hot hot lowel lights. hated dealing with them. and with newer far more sentitive cameras, the amount of light i'd need is much less now.

and you're right about storage. even my 6TB hard drive doesn't seem as big as it did when i purchased it. (i'm also backing up that drive on another small portable drive that goes into a fire-proof safe).

seems you do know my country. the steens mts are my favorite place on the planet. do make it a point to see them on your way to visit malheur.

always wanted to see your country. if i ever can make the time, i would love to see the oly peninsula. photos/videos i've seen display it as breathtaking.

stay dry my friend!

-eric
Eric Sines is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood