Hello All, from Glasgow, Scotland at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Tourist

Hello All, from Glasgow, Scotland

Hi,

Just really getting started with a video camera (Canon XF 305) after using canon 35mm DSLRS for any filming I needed previously.

More and more people were asking for filming so thought I would take the plunge and get a dedicated video camera and sound equipment.

See a lot of my stuff on my Youtube channel (such as it is) as Glasgow.photographer George Monaghan - YouTube

Hope to learn and grow with you all - have already bought the training DVD from Vortex on the camera and its workings. Lot to learn and have a my first "film" wedding coverage in April.

Look forward to hearing from you and hopefully ask for you patience as I ask all the newbie questions you more experienced get bombarded with. :)

Speak soon,
George
George Monaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Hello All, from Glasgow, Scotland

Welcome to the forum George and a good choice of camera as it is full broadcast spec and has some very nice features!

if you haven't bought an off camera shotgun mic yet I would highly recommend one of these as they are a bargain on e-bay at the moment: A BRAND NEW AUDIO TECHNICA AT875R MICROPHONE | eBay

add a rode PG2 pistol grip and a W/S6 softie and it will be an ideal addition to any set-up, a small boom will also allow you to get closer to the sound source.

A couple of examples of the AT875r here:

I had a listen to some of your CLAN TV content and it is is very echoey and you can hear the auto gain pumping away a lot as you can hear the background coming up in volume when people are not speaking, I suspect they were done with a mic on top of the camera and whilst they are OK they can be better with a shotgun closer to the people or hand held omni dynamic mic being used by the interviewer. Were they done on the DSLR as I would have thought the auto gain circuit on the canon would be better than that, that aside it is always better to do audio in manual and a decent set of headphones such as the sony 7506 or the sennheiser HD25-II mk2 will also allow you to hear things better.

If you wish to try an omni handheld dynamic mic for those interviews I am having a clearout soon and will be selling some of my EV RE50 and Beyer M58 mic's, you may wish to try one to see how it may help as it is the standard way to do such interviews post match etc, of course you will need to get the people used to using it and holding it near and it may be too much for them to handle whist asking the questions.

Last edited by Gary Nattrass; January 25th, 2013 at 03:40 AM.
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Hello All, from Glasgow, Scotland

Hi George. Welcome to the forum.

Always good to see a fellow Glaswegian here :)

James.
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood