DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Any African shooters here? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/51705-any-african-shooters-here.html)

Michael Dalton September 25th, 2005 08:41 AM

Any African shooters here?

I'm interested in meeting anyone who either lives in Africa, or shooys in Africa. I primarly shoot in TZ/Kenya.

Michael

Aaron Frick October 24th, 2005 09:44 AM

Africa

Michael...I have spent a fair bit a time shooting in africa. I hope to find a way to permenently relocate to africa and make a living filming. Lots of great location in TZ and Kenya for sure. I am hoping to base myself out of malawi so that I will have fairly quick access to the south or east. What kind of stuff are you shooting?

Mick Jenner October 24th, 2005 10:38 AM

Hi,

I don't live in africa but filmed in Kenya last November producing a staff training dvd for a well known travel company.

We are returning again next January to produce another one for them,this time filming on a mobile camping safari.

Although we do other work,nature holidays,treks and general wildlife filming are the ones we like best. Have so far filmed in Mexico ,Costa Rica, Borneo, Sri lanka, Bali and will be in Peru this December.

I will say that Kenya is one of the best and easiest places we have worked with lovely people and the wildlife so accessable. I will certainly have a lot more footage than is required to add to my stock arkhieve.

Mick Jenner.

www.mppvideos.co.uk

Michael Dalton October 24th, 2005 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Frick
Michael...I have spent a fair bit a time shooting in africa. I hope to find a way to permenently relocate to africa and make a living filming. Lots of great location in TZ and Kenya for sure. I am hoping to base myself out of malawi so that I will have fairly quick access to the south or east. What kind of stuff are you shooting?

I have never been to malawi but will be rather close next month when I head back to TZ and the Mahale Mountains. I am shooting a limited series for Animal Planet that will hopefully be a full series next year. It's an adventure nature series. If you want to see the pilot, send me a personal email, and I'll send you a link.

Africa is great, it is the one place you get great photogenic culture mixed with amazing wildlife.

30 days till I go!

mds

Rand Blair March 27th, 2006 03:58 AM

living and shooting in Africa

Greetings from Uganda Michael,
I live in Kampala where after 4 years we have started a production group that involves bringing others in the business as crew to film various projects. We are called Big Heart Productions. We do Documentary, Corporate Social Resonsibility peices, Commercials etc. We have filmed in Uganda, Kenya, Tanz, Sudan, Congo, Rwanda, and South Africa. We shoot with JVC, Canon XL, and PD 170. Life is good here! I moved here from Texas after shooting a couple of docs. in 1999. What is your interest in Africa? I did shoot with Charles Price on Orphans in Uganda a while back for his show in Canada. Greetings also to all others on the thread.
Rand

Donald Giesen March 30th, 2006 12:41 PM

Rand Blair-

I'm just across the border in Kenya! Actually I'm in Seattle, WA for a few months but I generally operate out of Nairobi. I started a media school there in 2003 and that's kept me so busy that I haven't been able to do much on the production side. I'm interested in doing some doc's in the very near future.

Have been living off and on in Kenya since '96. Visited Kampala for the first time back in October. Seemed like a ncie place and much more relaxed than Nairobi.

Send me an email if you get a chance and tell me more of what you do there.

Donald Giesen

Rand Blair April 15th, 2006 06:38 AM

Africa

Donald, Email on the way. With Aaron moving over sounds like we may have a pretty good America contingent here. Interested in doing a feature?

Rand

K. Forman April 15th, 2006 07:21 AM

I have been trying to find somebody to do a scene for me in Africa. Anybody willing to do it for a reasonablly low price?

I'm looking for a fairly involved shot, starting with a pan over the plains showing some very recognisable wildlife, such as Girraffe, Elephants, Lions. The camera then pulls back, revealing an Indiana Jonesish character standing next to a Jeep, and circles around in front of him, to show a close up of his head and shoulders, but with the sun behind him so all you see is a silhouette.

Anybody? Maybe 20 or 30 seconds in all.

Aviv Hallale April 15th, 2006 03:46 PM

Well, I live in South Africa...But that has a totally different culture to the rest of the continent.

K. Forman April 15th, 2006 03:48 PM

Yeah, but there are a few in Kenya, and other places I think might be closer to what I need.

Dale Paterson April 16th, 2006 05:30 AM

What I would like to know is how you lot actually get the work? :)

I mean - I live right here in Johannesburg - and I can tell you that WELL paying jobs do not exactly abound. :)

I mean - I LIVE RIGHT HERE ON THIS CONTINENT!!! WHY CAN'T SOMEBODY ASK ME TO GO TO KENYA TO SHOOT SOME ANIMALS??? WE EVEN HAVE A NATURE RESERVE DOWN THE ROAD FROM MY HOUSE!!! NOBODY HAS EVER EVEN ASKED ME TO GO DOWN THERE AND SHOOT SOME LION!!!

No - seriously - how do you people that live in the USA source this kind of work? Is there a high demand for this type of footage? Just want to know for interest sake (I really only do corporate events and the like).

Regards,

Dale.

Rand Blair April 16th, 2006 07:15 AM

Africa

Keith, email me and I'll take a look at what you want in Uganda. Dale, Your concern about work is interesting. I am really quite busy and have been since opening Big Heart last year. It appears once you get a few broadcast quality projects out there, people talk and continue coming back. Don't give in just yet. I have been shooting in Africa since 99' and moved here in 2002. Perhaps we might manage something in the future,
Rand

K. Forman April 16th, 2006 07:55 AM

Rand- I'll shoot you an e mail later today. Thank you :)*

*Sorry about the smiley Chris...

Dylan Couper April 16th, 2006 02:40 PM

I'll possibly be moving to Africa next year, probably just for 4 months, based out of Cape Town, but I'd also like to live in Nairobi for a month or two. Going to be shooting a feature documentary and writing. And probably a lot of surfing.