DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   New to the forums (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/517120-new-forums.html)

Ian Conrey June 11th, 2013 09:25 AM

New to the forums

Hi, I figured being new to the forum this would be a good place to start. I am very new to the film world. I first began with photography while I was in the Navy, shooting with a Cannon 350D. As to film I was mostly experienced with Sony Handycams until I got my hands on a Nikon D90, and did some short films for a Youth Camp in Fort Mountain, Georgia. Once I shot with the Nikon I fell in love with with the quality the DSLR provided, and truthfully what many people considered as setbacks with DSLR's I enjoyed. I like the manual focus, and being more use to photography, I actually enjoyed handling a dslr more so than a point and shoot camcorder.

But again, I am incredibly new to film and when it comes to things I don't know, it is just about everything. I have done a lot of research however and will soon be getting a personal dslr as well as audio equipment, etc. I don't know if this the forum to ask this, if not just let me know.

But currently I plan on purchasing a Canon 60D (I like being able to adjust audio, even though I have heard with Magic Lantern you can now do this on other DSLR's, and I also like the movable screen) with a nifty fifty lens as well as a zoom lens with IS (haven't decided on which one yet). Also, I was looking at the Zoom h4n for audio. If there are better suggestions I am always open! Thanks.

Ian Conrey June 18th, 2013 10:55 PM

Re: New to the forums

Alright well I haven't gotten a reply yet. Maybe if I get more specific i'll get some advice. I want the canon 60d for several reasons, but have also been looking at the panasonic lumix gh2. I like the sharper image quality it has, but have been pretty set on the 60d until this discovery. Is it possible to get the same quality in a 60d in post production? Such as adjusting sharpness and contrast? Thanks.

and just a reminder that my main focus is video recording with a dslr, with photography being secondary.

Reuben Muldrock July 16th, 2013 11:31 PM

Re: New to the forums

Hi Ian,

Not sure if you have had a reply in another thread, but your story is similar to mine I saw someone shooting video with a dslr on you tube.
I saw the images and was blown away.
Like yourself I am new to video but have a good knowledge of the fundamentals of photography.
I purchased a canon 7d about a year ago to start filming and have learnt a whole bunch of stuff.
Not having Autofocus is fine depending on what ur shooting.
The 60d is good look on you tube for reviews and also check this site there is tons of info.
Also take a look at the 70d and the rebel T5i
The rebel gives alot bang for your buck and has similar specs to the 60d in terms of video performance.
Any reason why you wanna use the h4 zoom ?
I use a rode video mic works fine for my stuff no need to worry about sound in post.

Regards
Reuben Muldrock
"The world is ending, who cares im making an epic"