Long time...and I mean LONG time lurker. Looking to improve and learn more. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old June 17th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Long time...and I mean LONG time lurker. Looking to improve and learn more.

Hi everyone. I have probably been reading this forum off and on since 2004. Over the years I have studied the craft and techniques of shooting quality video. Most of my clients come from live events such as wedding, sports and ceremonies. I'm looking to more more into short-form wed video for small to medium size businesses. Looking to make a few friends and network as I continue to work on my profession.

Also wanted to ask about advice on my next camera upgrade path. I started out with one wee little Panasonic TM-900 and eventually bought two more TM-900 for multicam shoot events. The video quality has been good in daylight and passable for low light. The 1080/60p has served me well, especially with sports video... and the compact size has allowed me to get shots in locations that bigger pro cameras couldn't or wouldn't be allowed to do. But now it's time to take it up a notch and have been looking at the new crop of cameras that were introduced at NAB and coming available soon. My short list now is:

Canon XA-20 (splurge for the XA-25? My thinking is just getting one gig that requires HD-SDI out could pay for the price difference)
Sony EA-50 (I have been shooting Canon dSLR for a few years and love the look and low light performance of large sensor cameras)
JVC HM70 (Shoulder mount and cheap, I do a fair amount of high school sports video [football, lacrosse] and looking to do more business and possible small government video)
Used Panasonic AC130A or AC160 (This was my first choice over a year ago since it should cut well with my current TM-900s, but new cameras have came out listed here)
Panasonic AC90 (Small sensor but I have heard good things for event video)

I'm will to sell my TM900s if I go Canon or Sony...but love the flexibility of several cameras for coverage at events. My budget is up to $2500 for each camera.

Thanks.
Tony Maceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Long time...and I mean LONG time lurker. Looking to improve and learn more.

Welcome Tony. You have obviously been here more often and longer than me, but I am already impressed by the quality of information here and the friendliness of the members.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood