DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   G'day from Perth Western Australia (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/518733-gday-perth-western-australia.html)

Tim Lewis September 4th, 2013 07:07 PM

G'day from Perth Western Australia

Hi All

I have just joined this forum after finding it through Tim Dashwood's JVC GY HD tutorials. I have just bought an HD110E as an upgrade from a PDX10P.

I am not a professional, but do like to approach the work I do in as professional a manner as possible. I am very interested in documentary work as a format for the moving image. I have been reading a lot of threads while I waited for my account to be finalised and have already learned a lot about my new camera.

I have been inspired by the work I have seen on display already and I am tempted by OWUL 27.

I am looking forward to learning and doing more with my video work.

Regards

Tim Lewis

Chris Harding September 4th, 2013 07:22 PM

Re: G'day from Perth Western Australia

Hi Tim

Greetings from Perth too! It's a small world and you will find this forum the best out there to solve problems and answer questions you have.

I shoot on two Sony EA-50's doing mainly weddings and Real Estate plus a bit of Photography on Nikon DSLR's

Chris

Tim Lewis September 4th, 2013 07:40 PM

Hi Chris

I had spotted you in the threads and noticed you were from Perth too. I will be interested to hear more about the EA50's as they are on my wish list. As this is really an indulgence for me and not a full time job, I cannot spend willy-nilly on gear. I have to get all purchases through the "Senate Appropriations Committee", so the budget is tight.

I am usually buying second-hand gear and always after a great deal of research. The GY HD110 was my choice for a camera with full lens control. I found the manual ring on the PDX10P frustrating with its never-ending-ness and wanted a lens with focus, aperture and zoom on dedicated controls. The JVC seemed to offer this at the lowest possible price. The camera is still in shipping, but hopefully I will have it soon.

I also shoot with Nikon DSLRs (two D2x's) but I do not subscribe to the DSLR Video thing. I have worked previously doing weddings and press work with stills, but all in the film era.

I have planned to do a documentary series as the first project with my new camera. It is planned as six five minute episodes on the history of some of the people behind the street names in Subiaco, where I live. I feel this will give me a good amount of practice in the process. I am allowing a year for this.

I have a website for this, so that when I represent myself to others they will be able to find out some more about my work. As yet it is quite sparse, but I am hoping to be able to get a demo reel up with the new camera soon.

Cheers

Tim
Unconformity Media - Home

Chris Harding September 4th, 2013 09:44 PM

Thanks Tim

If you get to the stage where you might want to look/play with an EA-50 let me know!

Hope your doc goes off well

Chris

Tim Lewis September 5th, 2013 09:58 PM

Hey Chris, thanks for the generous offer. I will probably be ready for an EA50 in three or four years time! (Senate Appropriations Committee!). Maybe when you've worn them out, I can buy an old one from you!

Tim Lewis August 24th, 2014 05:39 PM

G'day from Peterborough, Ontario.

I have moved to the other side of the world. Say hello if you live around here (Peterborough).

Cheers

Tim

Tim Lewis November 29th, 2016 09:34 AM

I am finally back in Australia after a really rough time in Canada. Glad to be home.

Chris Harding November 29th, 2016 06:37 PM

Welcome home Tim

We have a son in Montreal and he loves it there! However I think the minus 35 degree Winters would destroy me... Perth Winters are even a bit too cold for me!!

What made it a rough time?

Tim Lewis November 30th, 2016 05:46 PM

Hi Chris

I was hit by a car while out riding.

Cheers

Tim

Chris Harding December 1st, 2016 02:22 AM

Sorry to hear that Tim!

Hopefully you are on the mend by now and are almost bright eyed and bushy tailed by now?

Got any interesting projects in the pipeline for 2017?

Tim Lewis December 1st, 2016 03:14 AM

Hi Chris

I have been asked to do some video projects for my local church with "interview style" and "to-camera" pieces, as well as some recording of sermons. This may make its way to live broadcast onto the web. I may pick your brains about that in the future.

Yes, I am on the mend. I was pretty lucky not to be killed, but was surprisingly mildly injured, but it was bad enough for me.

Cheers

Tim