DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Beginners (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/56926-beginners.html)

Robbie Dorward December 27th, 2005 05:22 PM

Beginners

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I must congratulate all on a fantastic and informative website. Believe me, i've given countless hours away trying to learn bits and bobs on filming and this website is a very helpful resource. I'm actually looking for a little assistence, so firstly i should explain a bit about me...Im a 20-yr old English film student who (unfortunately) took film 'studies' instead of 'production'. dont get me wrong, the theory behind film is cool, but too much of it can get tedious. I've had a passion for filmmaking since i was around 13, playing with my parents camcorder, and have more recently really wanted to get some short stories i have written filmed on to DV. I know a bit about the format and the camera's, and i suppose i wont really be able to learn too much more until i actually own one and can play around with it. I've been looking at the XL2 model for a while, but not sure whether im jumping straight into the deep end or not. Of course, i am a student, and so have very little money. Basically, im just wondering if these forums have any "beginners" areas, for someone like me to ask any questions, and for others like myself, and i, to discuss any projects or ideas. Many thanks, and happy new year to all.

Kindest Regards, Robbie.

Mathieu Ghekiere December 27th, 2005 05:41 PM

If you purely search people to help you out with your production, you should go to the Helping Hands boards here.

For the rest: if you have a question do a search. If you can't find anything, just ask. People here will be glad to answer and if the subject has been covered before, maybe they'll just give you a link to the other discussions.
People ask very 'beginnersquestions' here, as well as very technical questions, that's one of the marvelous things at DVinfo, you have complete beginners and complete professionals, and everybody is helping eachother out.
Welcome at DVinfo ;-)

PS: my advice would be: first do take a look at the theory. Yes, the most you'll learn trough experience, and it will learn you more then theory ever will, but it can be handy to look at some theory before starting. You can see this website and board as one big book with theory of which you can learn.
My other piece of advice would be: the XL2 is a great cam, but maybe you should first try to make something good with a palmcorder. Look for cameramovement, lightening, direction,... If you can do that, your movie will look good.
THEN you can move up to a bigger cam, and you'll just have results that are equally good, maybe a little bit nicer to the eye ;-)
Of course if you want to learn technical filmmaking, you should be able to do everything manually, and many palmcorders fall short on that, where the XL2, you'll have no problem.
I filmed 3 years with a little 1CCD JVC handycam, before moving up to an XL1s.

Glenn Chan December 27th, 2005 05:52 PM

Hi Robbie,

Welcome to dvinfo. :) There's a bunch of forums here for people of all levels. You posted this in the wrong forum (should probably go into "http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=14") but that's ok.

The first thing I'd do is to consider doing something better than taking film studies. Drop out if you ever have a chance at a *paid* entry-level job in the field (assistant, rental house jobs, etc.). Unfortunately these jobs are very competitive because so many people want to work in film. But do let all your friends and family know about what you want to do- they may have a connection.

Depending on what you want to get into, a film studies degree is fairly useless. Some places even look down on film students because they think they know everything. At best, the degree helps you get an entry-level job. But you didn't really need a degree to get one anyways. If you intern somewhere (usually they don't pay you) you can get a reasonable level of experience in a much shorter amount of time and with less cash than taking film studies.

A film studies degree is probably the most useful outside of the film and television fields. In film, I don't think it really increases your chances of getting a job versus interning on the side.

As far as education goes, you might learn something from school. But for every decent course there's lots of courses where you don't really learn anything. You'd probably learn as much by going to the library, and by shooting your own films.

2- Just start shooting your stories. And get into the dvinfo challenge here if you have problems getting motivated. You don't need a fancy camera to be a filmmaker.

3- Depending on what you want to do, you might want to transfer and get some other sort of degree. If you want to make your own films (i.e. not someone else's), then aim to get an easy non-stressful job that lets you focus on working on your own films on the side.

Ash Greyson December 27th, 2005 10:13 PM

A certain camera wont help you with framing, blocking, eye lines or "finding the shot" in an uncontrolled environment... Get something simple... learn to shoot an image, then, upgrade when you want to learn to control the image. The difference between videography and cinematography is not as simple as video versus film... my modern definition is that a videographer uses a camera capture an image, you see what happened in front of the camera... a cinematographer uses a camera to creatively CONTROL an image, you see what he wants you to see.

One excercise that is fun and will work with any camera is to pick a scene from a movie... a simple scene, no cranes, fancy or fantasy sets, dollies, etc. and recreate it shot for shot.

ash =o)

Mathieu Ghekiere December 28th, 2005 06:14 AM

Nice definition, Ash!

Karen Ferrara December 29th, 2005 10:55 PM

Question about my Panasonic DVX-100

Hi Guys!
I'm new to this site and need some input about my camera. I purchased my DVX-100 about 3 years ago. Recently I've been noticing that it looks washed out. I think it might just be a setting that needs to be adjusted, but I don't know which one. I've check the iris setting, the black levels and other buttons but haven't had any luck. Is there a way to set the camera to its original factory settings?
I mainly use the camera to shoot weddings and bands. In the dark with stage lighting it looks okay, but in regular light it looks washed out.
The camera was used to shoot a documentary with studio lighting, since then it has that haze about it.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Karen