DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Greetings from the Mile High! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/59338-greetings-mile-high.html)

Brian Wiley January 28th, 2006 06:26 PM

Greetings from the Mile High!

Though I have been lurking in the shadows of DV Info Net for more than two years as merely an observer, I have finally decided to be an active member of your community.

I live in Denver, Colorado, and I am currently a returning student going back to film school. I am 35 years old, so I often feel like the 'old man' of my peers, lol. Actually there are quite a few students around my age and older.

I would like to thank Chris Hurd for running a great site and all the other members who significantly contribute to video and film professionals and enthusiasists around the world.

Though my emphasis in school is writing and directing, I have taken many classes on cinematography and feel very comfortable behind the camera and with lighting. I use mostly DVX100A's at our school, but I also own an Eclair ACL S16 camera, a Sony TRV-900, a Nikon D100, a Nikon CoolPix, and an old Pentax SLR.

I have made and worked on many short films mostly with the DVX100A; two of which I have directed are currently in post production. I have an FCP editing bay at home, and also know Avid, though not nearly as well as FCP. I am looking into doing a feature length documentary this fall. I plan on having finished a very marketable feature length screenplay in a few months.

So that is me in a nutshell; again, I am really glad that the DV Info Net community exists.

Brian Wiley

Boyd Ostroff January 28th, 2006 06:50 PM

Hi Brian, glad you've finally stepped out of the shadows! Will look forward to hearing about your projects.

Brian Wiley January 28th, 2006 07:19 PM

Thanks, Boyd! I haven't been to Philly in awhile, but if I make it back there, I'll have to check to see if you have any productions going on.

Eric James January 29th, 2006 03:17 AM

Hey Brian,
Are you attending CFS at lowry?

I'm in boulder and I'm very active in the colorado film scene. Good to see you on these boards, enjoy!

Thanks,
Eric James

Brian Wiley January 29th, 2006 11:11 AM

Thanks, Eric! Yes, I've been at CFS at Lowry ( and Auraria ) for about two and a half years. I've got two semesters left.

Do you know Roger Carter? I believe he is teaching at CU Boulder this semester. I've had him for many classes, and he is a good friend.

Thanks again for the welcoming.

Eric James January 29th, 2006 03:17 PM

Hey Brian,
I know Roger very well. Great guy, and my favorite teacher as well. Tell him you ran into me on here. I bet he'd get a kick out of it.

Thanks,
Eric James

Jeffrey Brown January 29th, 2006 03:39 PM

more and more colorado people kep popping up on this board.

its reassuring to know there are others around here :)

Meryem Ersoz January 29th, 2006 06:38 PM

hi brian:

i used to teach film studies at auraria and loved having older students who actually came to class prepared in my classroom!

just kidding--it is a great place to teach, with a really interesting student body. it's a very unique teaching environment.....

welcome!

Paul Carlberg February 12th, 2006 05:08 PM

re: greetings from Denver

Brian, Eric, Jeff, & Meryem,

Good to hear from people in the Denver area. I live in Aurora (CO native!) and have just gotten ahold of a HDR-HC1. Am using Vegas 6 and I really like it. Similar to Brian, I returned to Metro State a couple years ago, and at 44 I know how he feels, although all the "kids" were fantastic. If anyone wishes to trade knowledge or experiences, I'm all for it! See ya. Paul