DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Just another punk film student ;D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/59482-just-another-punk-film-student-d.html)

Evan Seccombe January 31st, 2006 01:08 AM

Just another punk film student ;D

So I'm currently enrolled at UCSB, sophmore, in the film studies program, but i hate it there. Its way too analytical and theory-based, not enough hands on filming and editing for my tastes. I'm currently trying to apply to Chapman University for a second time. It's going to have completed a brand new, top-o-the-line production/post-production facility that "will put it in stiff competition with USC and other prestigious film production campuses in the nation" (as i was told by an albeit somewhat biased Chapman guidance counselor, but nevertheless, a new $2,000,000 facility with all the latest and greatest in prod/post-prod technology can't be too bad a thing). However, i've also been looking at Brooks Institute in Ventura, hoping that maybe there eager, hands-on-as-you-step-through-the-door approach might be just the kind of ambitious venture I would enjoy.

So in terms of camera, I use my uncle's Canon XL1 (that I'm kinda happy with, but after some research on the emergence of HDV making I'm hoping to venture into the new realm of High-Def). I would like to sell my canon for a Sony HDR-Fx1...truly. I have just purchased the adobe production studio bundle for a discouny education price and even have a copy of Avid Xpress Pro that I won as a first place prize in the Santa Barbara Digital Days Film Festival for Best Short Film Under 10 Minutes which can be viewed at the program's website --->(http://www.digitaldaysfest.com/archi...2005/cribs.htm)
If you do choose to look at this, remember, i was only a senior in high school when i made it, so don't try to analyze/critique with professional eyes. I know there are a plethora of experienced professionals on this site and at this point, i'm only a mere student enthusiast trying to grab a hold in the industry.

So there ya go! If you want to know anything else (for some reason) go ahead and contact me.

Thanks!

Rob Lohman January 31st, 2006 02:53 AM

Welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net Evan! Good to have you with us. Good luck
with the schooling and your projects. Keep in mind it's not the tech but the
story (and sound, and editing, and acting etc.) that makes a movie (for the
most part). Make sure you actually need that upgrade to HD(V). Personally
I would still stick with SD because of the lower costs and no way to distribute
HD to anyone (basically).

Andrew Wills January 31st, 2006 04:51 AM

I had the same thing happen when I first went to study Film in London, the course was supposed to be 50% theory, 50% practical, which was a complete barefaced lie. It was 100% theory.

Not only that the course had 18 tutors, who took one lecture each week for 2 hours. So the course was 2 hours per week. Bare in mind this was a proper University course, not a night-time Film class or anything.

So basically the tutors worked for 2 hours every 18 weeks.

When they actually took a lecture they just read a chapter from the book we were told to purchase at the beginning of the course.

So there I was paying nearly £17,000 to have a book read to me.

The last straw came when one of the tutors told us that the course had a 95% drop out rate, which he thought was due to the "intensity of the course, and the laziness of all you students!". (This happened when one of my fellow students turned up late).

I left the next day.

A year later I heard the class size had dwindled from over 200 to 12. Not really a surprise, maybe they should look up what "Film Studies" means.

Emre Safak January 31st, 2006 08:16 AM

If I have to hear another feminist/psychoanalytical analysis of a film there is no telling what harm I will do...

Wade Spencer January 31st, 2006 09:22 AM

Ya might want to ask your uncle before you pawn off his XL1...lol

Lorinda Norton January 31st, 2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre Safak
If I have to hear another feminist/psychoanalytical analysis of a film there is no telling what harm I will do...

Hahahah!!! Emre, I sympathize with you. Stay strong!

Welcome, Evan!!

Dick Mays January 31st, 2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade Spencer
Ya might want to ask your uncle before you pawn off his XL1...lol

Aspiring filmmakers need to be resourceful. It's easier asking forgiveness than permission!