Serious Hobbyist in Baltimore, MD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Serious Hobbyist in Baltimore, MD

Hey Everyone,
I apologize in advance for the long winded post, but wanted to introduce myself before I get weeded out for not posting. I have been lurking here for quite some time and have gained some extremely valuable insight thanks to everyone here. My original reason for joining the forums was to gather tips and info regarding HDV and wedding videography, as I will be married this June (2006) and want to capture the event in HD. I have a little background in the technology and have been shooting and editing DV for about 3 years, but definately have a lot to learn.

If you were wondering, I am not planning on personally recording my wedding, but I will be doing a majority of the planning for the videographers who will be shooting. I am fortunate to have a friend that went to filmschool and has casually done a few weddings and is willing to do mine for a reasonable price. I know that my path is a little more difficult than just hiring a professional and being done with it, but I really enjoy this stuff and want to be an integral part to capturing my wedding the way I see it. Besides, for the price of hiring a pro, I am able to acquire a few neat toys along the way that I'm sure to put to good use long after the wedding.

If anyone is interested in my background, I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade and work for the Government testing military equipement. My hobbies beyond home videos include just about everything to do with technology. I build computers (including one in the home theater), do some casual web/media design, and enjoy watching movies at home. I am so involved in the technology that I even took a moonlighting job at Circuit City last year so I could have a slush fund for my toys.

Thanks again for the great information everyone is sharing here. I know that I have already gained so much just from reading old posts and I only hope that I can offer some insight to others down the road.
- JON
Jon Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Jon,

Welcome to DV Info, where all it takes is a little "howdy" to keep your name on the active list! ;)

Good idea buying your cool gear *before* the wedding. (just kidding) I hope it works out well for you. And, congratulations on your impending marriage!
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Trustee

Ex-Baltimore Guy Here

Hiya HON!

Welcome to DV Info, land of the answers. I used to work for the Baltimore County Police Department, Precinct 12, Dundalk. My memories are fond. I loved the architecture and the people.

Ohhhh... and the crab cakes at Jimmies and the Pizza at Squires! Can't forget Little Italy and all the boys from "HOMICIDE: Life on the Street" down at Fell's Point.

Welcome. You'll love it here.
Old March 18th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Hi Jon, welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net, good to have you with us!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood