Info about Portland Oregon? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Info about Portland Oregon?

I may be going out there to do some work (non video related) and was wondering about the lifestyle and independent movie community out there.
Any info is appreciated.

Also best/affordable rental costs (low crime rate, access to metro area...)
Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello Joe,
I relocated 5 years ago from Los Angeles to Portland and for the most part I love it here. They say nationally that Portland has one of the strongest independent film communities with a lot of activity. I would say that individual expression and rogue filmmaking are alive and well here, but in regard to commercial film I have seen little going on.

If you want to get your hands dirty there are plenty on small projects going, but trying to find seasoned people to engaging in the spirit of collaboration a little hard to find. Or maybe it’s just my experience.

I imagine your last question is in regard to real estate rentals. The city is divided into quadrants, each offer a range of economic choices. They all offer something special and each one seems to cater to specific cultural and political ideals. You would have to explore to find which one suits your tastes. All of these areas (including former ghettos) have been successfully gentrified so that all white people are insured safe travel and a gourmet cup of coffee on every corner.
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks, though the racially oriented reponse was not what I was looking for. Blacks and Asians hate crime too, and from the last time I was there, there were plenty of both.

aifv has a salon and welcomes everyone to monthly screenings. They have a yahoo group too.

Don't know what you mean by rogue though.

I'm hoping to find a nice house, maybe in the country, or along the river. I've heard good things about the quality of life out there.

Anyway, I'll know tonight or tomorrow what will happen.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The racial comment was a smirk. The people that are most politically concerned with gentrification are the same ones guilty of it. Sorry, I can’t look past the irony…. The rogue filmmakers are people concerned with challenging convention and status quo.
A very good thing.

Yes, the lifestyle is very good, with a high degree of social awareness. I can’t think of a better place to be in America while national/ world politics really begin heating up over the next years. There are many surrounding communities that are just a short drive from city center. And traffic (comparably) is not a problem.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I figured it was a smirk, just smirking back.
I like the envrionmentally concious attitude of the place. As far as seasoned, I guess I will have to 'make' myself seasoned with a few projects. I'm all about a few like minded individuals creating a movie. Self disipline and team work not a problem. Just would like to meet others who are into making movies. I've no problem being a simple PA if thats what it takes. My Ego is shrinking with age.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, keep me posted. Let me know if you need any other info on the surrounding Portland area. I'm also on the look out to find like-minded people to work with.

We (my girlfriend and me) are selling our house this spring so that we can buy equipment -- film, art studios, etc. We have made the decision to pursue our life long dreams of being independent with the necessary tools for the job. I realize the older I get, the more difficult life changes become.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yes, I hear that. I'm nearing 50 (yech) but not afraid to start something new and vibrant. I'm planning on getting equipment too, but plan on renting the expensive stuff. How much is liablity insurance out there. Around DC area about 800.00 for 1 million in coverage for a year for a low budget character based narrative or a low budget zombie movie.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Not sure with insurance in Portland, I have only done small projects here.

In Los Angeles on bigger projects I have always piggybacked on other policies to get better rates. I need to get some new homeowners insurance to cover equipment, -- not too keen on the idea of losing 50k in the event of a break in.

I'm pushing 40 and that little nagging voice of assurance and stability keeps getting a better foot-hold as the days pass. It’s getting more and more difficult to maintain the position of flakey artist but I’m doing my best.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:34 PM   #9
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

portland like seattle is too close to vancouver, canada that offer producers tax refunds and lower wages ( union crews = $exchange = get more for your $) ...

Portland does have some excellent animation companies ... there's the old vinton studio's now owned by T Knight ( of Nike) - the name changed to ??? but just ask persons where's the old vintons. -anyway they are doing a animated feature and plans to do 2 more. last time i knew they were making offers to some of the key personal at Pixar, ILM, and a few LA company's ...

there's also Bent image lab that does hi end commercials ( animation, stop motion ,CGI with real persons )

many of the persons that work for these companies also do their own projects between/during jobs ...

price of liability insurance also depends on budgets and if it's documentary/experimental, or dramatic = dramatic cost more .. last time i bought 1 mil liability it was 900 year for doc and 1500 year for dramatic = under 50k budget
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm currently shooting a short film in Portland. The trick to making movies in this town is to ignore all the people that talk about filmmaking and go out and make films. If you start, like minded people will show up. I sold one of my businesses and bought a camera and some accessories and I'm gonna have at least a doc and 2 short films done this summer. I'm now also making a significant income off video.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:22 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Joe, you nailed it. That's what I was hoping to hear.
If this works out, I hope to meet you and all the others offering advice.
Wonder if I can handle the overcast all the time, hehehe.
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Think you can't deal with the overcast? Wait 5 minutes. It'll change. Portland spring mornings are sunny as all shit until 11am when it gets gloomy. Early afternoon we ge another 5 minutes of sun. Shoot then. I ride a bike 365 days a year. The weather hasn't got to me yet.
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Well, I have to say that I don't understand the world of indie film - how do people make money in it and contribute support towards their families?

Or maybe it's not about an income at all?

Check out the directory section of ompa.org for an industry guide. Mostly this is people who do video and film for a living, corporate, commercial, and the occasional feature that comes to the region. oregonfilm.org is the state commission trying to bring features to Oregon, there's some interesting stuff on their website too. nwfilm.org is a great place to hook up with indies.

Welcome to Portland, I've been a working pro in video, sound, multimedia and webcasting here since 1984. Portland has been very good to us!
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I was supposed to get final info today, but it's been postponed till tomorrow.
First my rep tells me it's a lock, now he says 99.99 percent and only if I can get there by apr 17 even though I told the client it would be a month. Such is the world of software consulting. Oh well, I can wait another day.

Thanks for the info Seth.
Old April 7th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #15
Inner Circle

question about housing? Hardly any houses have Air or central heat, mostly forced heat with gas? and ceiling fans...Any info on construction quality issues? Seems like the older houses are better priced. Most of the new stuff I saw pictures of were flat out ugly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood