Aloha from Hawaii at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old February 20th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Aloha from Hawaii

This is probably a shot in the dark, but just in case there are other kama'aina in this forum...

I'm Ed from Honolulu, currently in Wahiawa, originally from the mainland US. Proud owner of a brand new Sony DSR-PD150. I don't have any photography or videography background, so I'm pretty much starting at ground zero. However, I've taken the producer and PD100 classes at O'lelo, the non-profit community corporation that's in charge of the public access channels here.

My initial project ideas involve a series of educational videos (on chess(?!)) for public access and documenting the oral history of my father and his lifelong friend. Like a lot of other people here, I have visions of accepting the Oscar for Best Short Film or Documentary Short Subject :)

Though I'm a complete newbie, I'm an enthusiastic one. In addition to the PD150, I also own or have ordered the following:
  • a tripod/fluid head/carry bag (Bogen 3283/503 clone)
  • 2 NP-F960 batteries
  • a Sony AC-V700A quick charger
  • the Tiffen Video Essentials Filter Kit
  • a set of AKG K240DF headphones
  • two Audio Technica AT831b lav mics
  • 3 20' XLR cables
On my near-term want list are:
  • a Senn ME66/K6 shotgun mic
  • some sort of lighting kit that will suit my immediate needs for the above-mentioned projects
A bit down the road, I'd also like to acquire:
  • an field audio mixer (dreaming of a Shure FP33)
  • a decent wide-angle lens
  • a decent telephoto lens
For post work, I'll likely use Premiere 6.5, but maybe Pinnacle Studio DV 8 (available from Costco).

Either in my library or on order from amazon.com are:I wanted to order Lighting for Digital Video and Television, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...waiichesspr-20 but it's currently out-of-stock at amazon. Will have to check my local Borders bookshop.

If there are any other Hawaii residents, preferably on Oahu, give me a shout. My immediate goals are small, but my dreams are big.
Edward Seid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

Great to have you aboard Ed! And thank you so much for such
an elaborate introduction to yourself and what you are doing!
You are getting a great piece of gear and seem to have some
interesting things to shoot!

Good luck on all your projects and if I'm ever in the vacinity
I'll be sure to drop you a note.

Cheers!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 11:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Aloha From Hawaii

Haven't seen anyone from the islands on this formum so I thought I'd chime in. I'm a hobbiest video editor using Vegas 4 and concentrating on home videos of all types. Caught the bug about two years ago and now I can't wait to retire from my day job so I can play full time. I have a Sony TRV-120 (I wonder who has even heard of it) Digital 8 Handycam and am chomping at the bit to upgrade, maybe to a TRV-130...just kidding...actually looking at the TRV-950 and VX-2000. Lately I've been doing sound on slide shows for family and friends but I've done one 80 minute show of a friend running a 3 day endurance race. My favorite shows are the ones that cause emotional impact. It warms my heart to see the faces and hear the comments after a showing. I don't do this for money right now while I'm learning but may "go pro" sometime in the distant future. I've just discovered this forum and am really impressed by the knowledgeable and helpful people posting here. The way the boards are run is great too. Looking forward to the future. Oh, and if we get a few more Hawaii posters, maybe we can arrange a symposium on the beach or something.
Aloha,
Randy
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 04:05 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Aloha Randy, welcome aboard! I believe there is at least one
other guy from Hawaii, but I'm not sure on that. Let's hope he
chimes in.

If you have some footage to show don't hesitate to post it
in the DV for the Masses forum.

Good luck on your projects!

Old October 6th, 2003, 04:32 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome, Randy. "3-day endurance test"?! Sounds like great subject matter.

I hope we can see some footage from you sometime. In the meantime, see you on the boards.
Old October 6th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Yes, I'll post some stuff here. I also put stuff up at Chienworks site at: http://www.vegasusers.com/vidshare/. Just posted some transition examples that I bought from Rotating Cat Head Videos (Chienworks company). The pictures in the show are from the North Shore and several other locations on Oahu. Look for userid stewartr002 in the name of the shows. Also, my son has created a web site for our family at http://www.cr-home-videos.com/. Let me know what you think.
Randy
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

hawaii, oahu members?

im from oahu! :D
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Ed, saw your post. A little late but I thought I'd give you a shout out here. I'm also on Oahu and getting into this money pit of a hobby. What have you done since your post back in 2003?
Paul Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

Paul: just so you know, Edward's last post was in April of 2004.
So I'm not sure if he'll actually read your message.

Old November 7th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Yea I kinda realized that but I figured I'd try.
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Aloha, Paul,

I was wondering what kind of opportunities there are in Hawaii to make a living doing video, the Big Island mainly. I lived there many years ago and I have family there now. I am considering making a move back sometime in the future.....
Greg Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Greg,

I'm not sure what types of opportunities there are on the Big Island. I live on Oahu and not even sure what opportunities thre are here!
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #13
Major Player

I know this post is a few years back but I'm from Hawaii also. Anyone out there also from Hawaii?? Repersent guys.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Probably off the subject, but I just got the collector's edition of Elvis, Aloha from Hawaii. Man I love the King.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:11 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Aloha from Maui

Here goes...

Aloha everyone! I first got into video production back at the University of Hawaii back in the late 80's. After graduation and a few mistarts, I wound up as a photographer/videographer for a local photo lab, doing mostly Japanese weddings for about 8 years. Back when the economy was good, we were pumping them out daily (I've done probably 1000+). After 9/11 things kinda dwindled down. Last year when the company closed down their video department, I decided to go out on my own (dumb idea, yes... I know)

Picked up a Sony HVR-Z1, Matteblox, & DV Rig Pro, based on what I've read here. I edit everything on Final Cut Pro on my Powerbook (downconverting in-camera to DVCAM for now until I save up for a G5). Been doing some weddings and portrait work, as well as photo/video montages. Not nearly enough to make a living at it yet.

So I've been making ends meet by working part-time as an AV tech for the distance learning classes at the local community college. (Where the teacher is on one island and the students are on other islands, communicating via 2-way interactive video). Meanwhile searching for a full-time position somewhere so that I can continue learning photography & video production (You can never stop learning)

I've gained a lot of knowledgefrom the many people who contribute to this forum (Thanks you, everyone!) and I hope someday I'll be successful enough to help someone else here. (I also hope I'll stop having nightmares about ending up in a job where I'm saying "D'you want fries with that?")
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood