New to DVi in UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 14th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New to DVi in UK

Hi All,

I am certainly new to DVi, and have spent a goodly few hours reading the posts on the JVC HD100 etc.,

I used to do wedding videos back in the good old days of VHS and Video8 and then SVHS. Unfortunately I lost touch due to full time workloads and a sponsored degree in engineering - bless my employer lol.

After an absence of over 10 years I want to start again lol.

I have played with consumer DV in my absence and realize that a panny GS200 whilst competent (ish) in producing watchable footage is laughable when it comes to looking the part. ok so its laughable when it comes to producing footage too ;)

My grandeos plans include converting back to JVC in the guise of maybe the HD111 which appeals to my love for nice images ;) Plus I can kind of afford it just..

Now my only worry is the market. Being out of it for so long and never having needed to advertise cos it was all word of mouth back then, my questions are:
- Is there a maket in the UK any more with all those "Uncle Freds" out there?
- Am I being too ambitious to jump back in with a JvC Hd111?
- Should I buy kit then look for a freebie (to them) wedding to make a showreal or do one with existing SD DV? same freebie wedding tho

Any way Hi all

Its a big step jumping in to £8k for kit without the "first" job lol

See you all around, ta for taking the time to read my first post here

Cheers n beers

Ian
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Ian,

Welcome to DVi from a fellow Brit.

You'll find all th info you need, if not simply post your questions in the suitable forums.

Cheer,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I already noticed thers a wealth of info in these forums.

Cheers n beers

Ian
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi Ian

Welcome to the site.

I took a leap of faith when I decided to buy big. I've got a Canon XL h1. But word soon gets round if you're a serious cameraman and can prove yourself.

As to using your old footage for a showreel I'd say - why not? If weddings are your thing the customer will be looking at style and content over quality of image. I find most people on that level don't comment on older VHS footage being put onto dvd. Of course if it looks dodgy don't use it!

Are you going to be editing as well? Because that's a whole new ball game to several years ago aswell.

Brian Wheatley
The Multi Media Market
Brian Wheatley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood