Kowabunga, from Bemidji Minnesota at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 26th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Kowabunga, from Bemidji Minnesota

I have been slowly (slowly) getting into DV over the last few years, only I didn't know it. I have been shooting family video with my old Panasonic full VHS for years, and when I upgraded my camera, I went to a VHS-C because I couldn't see the advantage of DV. About 4 years ago, I tried to put together a computer edited video for the High School gymnastics team, using my cameras and a Dazzle capture device with Ulead Video Studio. Seven months, 3 computers and a lot of money I cranked out a poor video. Last year I was asked to put together something for the UW-River Falls gymnastics team, which I excitedly took on. This time I captured with Dazzle and burned VCD, then recorded VCD to VHS. Better job, and quicker than my first attempt.

This year my son has decided to get married, and I immediately started to work on a montage for them. I ended up now with Vegas 4, and DVD Architect in my computer, and a Canopus ADVC-100, which works extremely well. During this process my son's soon to be "MOTHER-IN-LAW" started to look for somone to video the ceremony. . . needless to say I was frustrated, because, I have to be in the ceremony, and can't do the job. I had done a lot of still photo, and some wedding photo in the past, and had a desire to go further with this, but, never had the cajones.

I started doing my homework, reading Fast Forward Club, and this forum. Also checking around town on other videographers. There is only 1, and he does still photos, and commercial video. Everytime he gets someone who wants a wedding video, he has to find a cameraman. I went around to the other 10 photogs in town, and they don't even know anyone doing video. I took the wife aside and let her know that I thought there was some money to be made here. I bit the bullet and bought two VX-2000's, wireless mic's, tripods, etc. . . printed brochures and business cards, and In a month I have my first 4 contracts.
Old March 26th, 2003, 08:40 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Hey, Harry, welcome! I'm an ex Winnipeger trapped in Vancouver. I used to drive my motorcycle down to Bemidji many times! I love the BIG lumberjack statue. My brother used to go down there too, for chess tournaments. Lovely place. I even wrote a short story based on Bemidji and the Twin Cities.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #3
Major Player

My brother's wife is a "Pegger". We don't hold it against her though.
Old March 26th, 2003, 09:26 PM   #4
Outer Circle

I know what you mean....
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 06:02 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard, Harry. Interesting story and good to hear your
business is taking off!

Good luck to you with all your future projects.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood