Another Canadian at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old October 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Andy Peterson from CANADA

Hello all!

After a year of sucking this site of knowledge, I thought it was time for me to sign up and introduce myself.

My name is Andy Peterson, Video Production student from Windsor Ontario. (studying in North Bay)

This site has been my bible for the longest time, a priceless resource that has saved me COUNTLESS times.

I bought Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp, I always respect Rob Lohman's opinion, and love to hear what ash =o) has to say!

What I'm using:
I currently own a Canon XL1S which tragically had to be sent in for warrantied repair last week. (it's ok, they sent me an FX-1 to play with while it's being repaired!)
I use an eMac G4 with Final Cut Pro HD for editing.
Right now I have no need to buy mics or lights because I can use the schools.
The school also has DVX100s for us to use. arg...

I have worked on hundreds of video projects both in and out of school, and I am looking into getting some of my work available for view.

Well that's about it from me,

See you around the message boards!

...Andy
Andy Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi There, Andy,

Sorry I'm not Ty, Rob, or Ash, but it's good to meet you. A year, huh? 'Bout time you joined the party! :) Have fun!!
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey welcome to the board Andy. I plan on moving up to Vancouver in march, where about in Canada do you live?
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Hello From Nunavut

I guess it's time to take a moment and introduce myself and give you a bit of information on where I live and what I do.

Firstly the XL2 is the camera of choice with most footage shot in wide screen format all editing is done in Adobe Premier and After Effects for the special effects.

Where the heck is Nunavut...you ask. Well it's in the northern most part of Canada a new Territory created in 1999. The community I live in is Rankin Inlet located on the north west coast of Hudson Bay, population 2500 of which 95% are Inuit (Eskimo).

Major video problem is the extreme cold weather, right now it's -25 degrees C. The secondary problem is the snow and sky are the same color no horizon to speak of. As we say up here we have 10 months of winter and 2 months of poor skidooing.

Video or choice: If it moves shoot footage

Thanks for the great information and support.

Brian
Brian McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net Brian. Good to have you with us!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Cool, I've never talked to anyone from Nunavut. Are there many people into video stuff up there?
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Hello Mark:

A few people are into video but mainly home movie style stuff. There was one other guy doing more serious shooting but he has moved south to the real world.

My stuff is mainly wild life, adventure and local interest, however I'm working on a crash and burn type Skidoo movie with some local guys. Looking at a finished length of aprox 20 minutes. The indoor shooting will be completed soon but the outdoor stuff will have to wait for the temperatures to go up a few degrees -30C is tough on the equipment but more importantely it's tough on me.

What type of stuff are you into?

Brian
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

That's awesome! I'm from the most Southern town in Canada and you're probably the most Northern town of Canada(how cool!). Although there arn't many people into this kinda stuff where your at. . .you definately need to take advantage of your location. You say there's alot of wildlife....have you ever considered documenting wildlife? You're so fortune to have that option at your backdoor, most people would only dream of that kinda stuff. Just a suggestion! I honestly don't think that I could ever tolerate the temperatures that you have to deal with. . .props!

Last edited by Steve Shilson; January 18th, 2006 at 09:22 PM.
Steve Shilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #9
Major Player

Hello Steve:

Yep I've done a number wild life things over the years and hope if time allows to do something on the Snow Goose return in the spring. They arrive here by the thousands, one of the main sites is where I have a cabin. The idea is to use the cabin as a base of operation. I only wish the temperatures were a bit better right now, we have a few hundred thousand carabou about 25 Km away by skidoo but the temperatures are just too extreme to take advantage of the situation.

Brian
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKay
Hello Mark:

A few people are into video but mainly home movie style stuff. There was one other guy doing more serious shooting but he has moved south to the real world.

My stuff is mainly wild life, adventure and local interest, however I'm working on a crash and burn type Skidoo movie with some local guys. Looking at a finished length of aprox 20 minutes. The indoor shooting will be completed soon but the outdoor stuff will have to wait for the temperatures to go up a few degrees -30C is tough on the equipment but more importantely it's tough on me.

What type of stuff are you into?

Brian
Yikes, -30 is no fun. We've had our fair share of lousy weather down here, too: last winter, there was a day when it was -70 with the wind chill! Hasn't been too bad this year, though.

I tape bands every week for an internet TV show I produce about the local music scene. You can check it out here, if you want: http://underthebridge.mumps.ca/ (my site has been down a lot lately so it might not work)

You should post some of your footage online sometime if you get the chance. Nunavut looks like a neat place!
Old February 24th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #11
Major Player

east coast of canada

hey i live in saint john anf halifax depending on the time of year. lived almost everywhere in canada and dont really hear much from anyone on this side. im always looking for some collaborations ..pretty much any interesting project to work on. anyone else around??
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #12
Major Player

east coast canada

not too many of us here.. im from Saint john, NB but i just moved to halifax for a 6 month contract. trying to unravel the local scene here to find some projects to fill come of my time. I shoot with a canon xl1s with a letus35cl adapter. give me a shout if anyones around these parts

andrew_m_todd@hotmail.com
Old April 19th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #13
Tourist

I'm from Dartmouth/Halifax. But I go to school at St FX so I'm in Antigonish 8 months of the year.. because of school I don't have much film time these days but if you ever need an extra person for any projects give me a shout, I'd love to come help out
Maxx Hartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hello,
I used to live in Fredricton as a kid, but I go back every once in a while. Like this summer/Fall when I'm shooting my cousins wedding.
Gotta love NB
Michael Steeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #15
Major Player

I'm so far east that i'm practically in the ocean. Furthest easternly point in north america, guess i overshoot NB and NS.

Glad to hear about the contract
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood