Hello from New Jersey - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old February 27th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #121
Major Player

Well, it looks like we're all in the South-ish part of NJ. Maybe we should get together for dinner some evening.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #122
Major Player

Boyd,

Valhalla was in the Student Center, buy a Stein and drink all night, well one night it kinda got outta hand, and some, er inebriated, students killed some of the trees on the Mall by the Planetarium etc, and not like a Dog kills grass, though I think some of that happened too, the trunks were cracked from the weight of the evening.

that was it for Valhalla for the OCC Vikings! coffeehouses continued for a bit.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #123
Major Player

Lighting Workshop

Some of you will know of Walter Graff, member here and many other similar web sites. Every so often, Walter gives lighting/production workshops in NYC, which are all-day affairs and cost only $100 per person for hands-on instruction. Walter just announced a series of these during the month of April and Tim Gray (see above posts) and I wanted to go, but just couldn't make the dates work.

I emailed Walter to see if we could set up a workshop for later in May for a "Private" group made up of Tim, me and any others on this thread living in NJ. We could not only receive some professional instruction, but meet each other in person for the first time. Perhaps some semi-permanent association could grow from that - a NJ Network. If you are interested, post, IM, or email me. Could be fun.

Jack Barker
Lawrence, NJ
iJack33 (AIM)
RogueCrew@Verizon.net
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #124
Regular Crew

I just wanted to say that I think this is a great idea for two reasons:

1 - I need to learn how to light.
2 - This could be an invaluable resource for independent movie makers. We could:

a - trade actors and contacts.
b - help each other out with projects.
c - have someone to show our crappy finished products too.
d - collaborate (GASP!)

Not to make us sound not serious, but here is a little about me. My brother and I are young "film makers" interested in putting together a couple movies. We've been making videos since we were really young (he's 30 and I'm 27 now). It's now time to step it up.

We are not in it for the money. Actually, we seem to be in it for the lack of money. I hate to say it, but this is a labor of love. We have day jobs that pay the bills.

I got interested in the sound end of things. I managed to pick up a small sound kit. Mike (my brother) fancies himself as a writer. He's written a couple shorts and just finished the 1st draft of a 90 min movie. He managed to pick up a JVC HD100. This is our first real camera that we actually own. We've been using a DVX100 for the last year, but it wasn't ours.

We're filming a short this weekend. It's going to be rough since there isn't a large enough crew, but we will make do. The lighting is going to be a really rough point - we have a small kit but the only real experience I have is some interview lighting (been doing a lot of interviews for a different project). We've decided that we want to have a trial by fire with this project and learn the hard way. This will hopefully give us some experience that will help us work with others.

After this (read after next weekend) we want to volunteer on other local projects. Get some experience, meet some friends, and get a community going. Want a boom operator/sound guy? I'm willing. We can also be operate a camera, rig lights, etc. Crap, if you need a "science advisor," I might be able to help with that too. I can't believe that all the independant movie makers in NJ have their stuff together so much that they wouldn't die to be part of a community. This is a golden opportunity.
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #125
New Boot

Any New Jersey Talent?

Hey everyone, this is actually my first post on this board. I been out the game for a while and its was such a relief to find these boards cause everyone here really seems to know what they are talkin about and thats a real breath of fresh air to me. Anyway I live in the great state of New Jersey, the manalapan area, Im 21 and have been a faithfull filmmaker since i knew how to hold a camera. The past few years have been extremely rough and I had to put off any and all projects. Now things are starting to look up and I started writing and experimenting with little projects. But what I really want is to collaborate with someone from NJ who is like me. Actually, I have NEVER had the pleasure of meeting up with someone who loves the art as much as I do. Here in Manalapan there are no serious filmmakers, anyone who i did try to collaborate with wanted to shoot an action scene in their backyard. I love action, but I seem to long for something that has more meaning then muzzle flashes. I honestly am dying to get something off the ground before the end of the summer. Im sure everyone here knows that huge huge feeling of emptiness when you have not said the word "action" in a while. If there is anyone in this state who shares my love for the art, and who would want to put two great minds together, then please reply. Again, thanks everyone for your proffessional and knowledgable info found around every corner in this site.
Ed Grabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #126
Regular Crew

Chime in on the other NJ thread.
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #127
New Boot

i didnt even see that.
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #128
New Boot

definetly. im up for it. i wanna get back in the mix of things so bad my heads gonna explode.
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #129
Trustee

Whoa! Sounds like a plan!

I'm in Atlantic City and have access to real cops (and real characters, as well) who want to act plus a PD here and there who will allow us to use the property. I like the idea.
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #130
Major Player

Ed, Hugh. How does Sunday, May 21 work for you guys? Please email me (bottom of my post, above). If we don't get a quorum, we don't go.

Edit:

Just heard from Walter Graff. He would be glad to accommodate us and the group should be 6 in number. So come on guys, jump in.

Last edited by Jack Barker; March 13th, 2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #131
New Boot

sounds good

just sent you an e-mail jack. Im in.
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #132
Major Player

I just noticed that earlier, I posted about cutting back on my playing time, well it's cut back to zero for the moment.

Lighting has always been a bear for me. Especially as a one person production department. Just ordered an Arri light kit with a softbox, hoping that will help a bit, the old Smith victor kit is falling apart!

Jack not sure how my schedule works but I am definitely interested.
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #133
Trustee

Jack I sent you an e-mail. I'm very interested.
Old March 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #134
Major Player

okey dokey, checked my schedule.... I'm in.
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #135
Major Player

Lighting Workshop Full

Wow! I'm really psyched. I thought it would take weeks of arm-twisting to get a quorum for this gig. So anyway, I guess that closes this intake, as Walter likes to keep the groups small to allow everyone some hands-on time.

The group:
Kenn Bell, Bill Mecca, Ed Grabowski, Hugh DiMauro, Tim Gray, Mike Gray and yours truly, Jack Barker.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood