DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Coming to NC from Germany (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/83112-coming-nc-germany.html)

Steve Roark January 4th, 2007 08:36 AM

Coming to NC from Germany

After nearly seven years of living NTSC in a PAL world, my wife has been transferred to the Jacksonville/Wilmington part of North Carolina. Looks like quite a few production outfits in Wilmington, so I'm hopeful that I find something within my field once I get there.

I'd be interested in working on non-paying productions while I'm there if anybody needs a cameraman, lighting support, or whatever...I'm willing to work for good BBQ (beef only, please).

Wallace Frank January 4th, 2007 01:26 PM

Beef BBQ in Eastern NC

NC is my home and BBQ is serious business in NC. I don't know about the production side other than a lot of money was spent on facilities in the Wilmington area- a wretched drive from Camp Lejeune to Wilmington. Back to the BBQ, PORK is King- whether it be a whole hog on the pit or smoker or just a Boston Butt, I found the vinegar based sauce something to get used to. Central NC molasses based sauce is my favorite. The beef brisquet will be found in Texas.
cheers,

Steve Roark January 4th, 2007 03:24 PM

In Germany pork is king as well, which is fine for a while, but I was raised on a Texas ranch, where pork was a garnish for wrapping around filets :) I also miss Mexican food and chicken-fried steak. Dang, I can't finish my resume if I'm drooling on my keyboard...

Josh Chesarek January 4th, 2007 11:39 PM

Welcome from a fellow Army guy. I wasn't in the army my self but was stationed with family there in Heidelberg. Hope your PCS goes smoothly and you find some of the BBQ you are looking for.

Steve Roark January 5th, 2007 01:19 AM

Thanks. My wife and I are civilians as well. We just couldn't pass up a chance to explore Europe while drawing a steady paycheck.

Josh Chesarek January 5th, 2007 03:58 PM

I hear that. Sorry I assumed one of you was Military from the location. I really enjoyed my time over there.

Steve Roark January 6th, 2007 10:08 AM

Yeah, its kind of rare to be here without one family member wearing a uniform. My job is/was documenting training with video and still cameras. Her is in childcare. Not a bad way to see Europe, but the Army makes you rotate back to the states every 5 years and sit there for a year before you can start another 5 year tour. So, that's whwew we are now.

Greg Boston January 6th, 2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallace Frank
NC is my home and BBQ is serious business in NC. I don't know about the production side other than a lot of money was spent on facilities in the Wilmington area- a wretched drive from Camp Lejeune to Wilmington.

Just helped my son move out of Camp Lejeune in November as he was done with his 4 year active Marine duty. I think he was telling me that some of the WB network shows were being shot in the Wilmington facilities. Is that true?

-gb-

Steve Roark January 6th, 2007 03:06 PM

I heard from someone on a different site that One Tree Hill was filmed there. Don't know what network its from. I figure any gig that doesn't require body armor is a good gig.

Douglas Toltzman April 25th, 2007 09:44 PM

If you're still around, Steve, I'm very close to Jacksonville (about 12 miles east on HW 24), if you ever want to meet up. My time is split between writing computer software, including some video processing software, and actually shooting. I shoot mostly to maintain my sanity, but I manage to get some paying gigs.

Reid Bailey April 26th, 2007 07:41 AM

Welcome back to states.

I'm just up the road in va. There is a lot of stuff going on in NC. In addition to One Tree they used to shoot a lot of "Surface" as well.
Very big for indie "hiatus" shooting when those tv stars are trying to show "another side of their creativity".

Travis Johnson April 27th, 2007 08:11 AM

North Carolina is actually quite popular for not only TV but feature films. Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, Surface on the TV side and films such as The Crow, Bull Durham, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Kiss The Girls, Hannibal, The Fugitive, Firestarter, and I know What You Did Last Summer just to name a few. Asheville and Wilmington are hotspots for the entertainment industry. Currently George Clooney is starring in a film called Leatherheads in the Wilmington area. The film is about the early days of football. I have been working with an actor that has auditioned for a film being directed by Denzel Washington called "The Great Debaters". Richard Gere is also starring in a film being shot in the Wilmington area sometime soon.

Btw I am a filmmaker that just joined the boards, and I live in a small town called Roxboro. Currently I am working with a production company in Durham called Eno River Media Productions. Check out their website www.ermp.tv

Also, pork BBQ for the win, and especially with vinegar based sauces, with some good cole slaw on the side of course. Btw welcome back to the states.

Albert Kinchen Hines III April 29th, 2007 08:52 AM

Welcome Back

Welcome back to the states. I am a young film maker in NC in the eastern part of the state. If you ever need an extra hand just let me know, I am always eager to learn from every experience.

Josh Johnson April 30th, 2007 05:59 PM

Have you all seen this doc about wilmington filmmaking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQD1dpsrwM